Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:01:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Blackford, Bond lend a hand at Ft Madison

Started by ebond, October 06, 2009, 09:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebond

Thanks to Cliff Blackford for taking time during competition on day 1 to stop and help me while I was drifting down the mighty Mississippi River with big motor problems. He saw me drifting with the cowl off and came over to lend a hand. My water pump was clogged with mud and sand and ran dry. My cell phone battery was dead. He took my truck keys back to the launch so my roommates could make the 40 mile drive upstream to get me after the weigh-in. Thankfully, the water started pumping again after continuing to idle for a while, and I was able to run back to Ft Madison. Cliff finished less than 2 lbs out of the money.

The next day I was fishing an area near Charlie Lowery and he explained that his big motor was stuck in the trimmed up position. His first day was successful and he had another fish in his livewell around noon when we spoke. He was planning to leave early and try returning roughly 2 miles with the trolling motor. Even though the launch was downstream, the winds were upstream at 25 mph creating 3 foot waves, and the main current was a long way from the slough. He might not have made it back in time in those conditions. I offered to tow him back and told him to fish until he had about 45 minutes remaining so he would have a chance too catch more fish and reach the All-American. Towing a bass boat in 3 footers was an experience! Charlie never caught another keeper, but his day 2 weight helped him finish in the money.

Brent, my day 2 co-angler, had a chance to finish in the money by catching less than 3 lbs. Even though the area we were in seemed unlikely to produce the keepers he needed, there was no way I was leaving a guy who had a chance at a good finish. Brent didn't disagree and we continued to fish hard for the next few hours. We may not always lend a hand when our own success could be compromised, be we should always think twice before leaving another competitor in a tough spot. It's funny sometimes how things work out. I imagine Charlie has also helped someone in the past. 8)

Skip Johnson

I heard you towed another boat  8)
probobly not the funnest thing youve done in 3ft plus waves but Im sure the guy will never forget who helped him, I know I wouldnt.
Go Big or Go Home!

bshaner

Cliff is a stand up guy and I would expect nothing less from him.  Karma always comes around.

Glad everyone made it back safe.

That river was brutal and being 2-3 feet low did not help.

I drew Illinois anglers both days and it was kind of entertaining to see the worried look on their faces at 65 mph.

Cliff and I had a heck of a time finding Shiebelhut (sp) for you.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

skeeterman190

Kudos Eric..i seen ya pulling him in i was wondering how that ride back was gonna be.. I agree Shaner my co the 2nd day goes man u Michigan boys sure know how to drive a bass boat in that stuff.. we never got wet once.. he looked a little worried when i was puttin the hammer down and the waves were pretty big in the morning passing boats like the were standing still as they speared one after another....haha
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

EliteFF

Eric you are welcome and thanks for the public acknowledgement. Also I did get your phone call and appreciate the invitation. I am still trying to dry out my boat.
As Brian put it, Karma does come around. Thanks to Brian Shaner I was not forced to take the walk of shame at the Regionals. He kindly invited me to succumb to fishing his water when I was unable to find anything on my own. Thanks again for stepping up. ;)

As for the co-anglers I think I saw the first UPS man ever realize that his brown truck driving was no comparison. I don't think he liked it when I told him that we were going to lock through with 1st flight and we were in the end of 4th. He uttered something about that ride being refreshing with some expletives included.
I would have pulled the plug on that body of water if I had found it.
Live your life so that the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral