Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:15:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Anchoring

Started by motocross269, October 06, 2009, 04:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motocross269

I don't want to build on the post about the Regional so I am posting here,  it got me thinking about a topic..

Would it be considered unethical for me to anchor on bedding fish in a spring tournament like Burt and Mullet????  I have always thought that would be a good tactic to hold an area, but I am not so sure now...

I am just curious of what the consensus is and if I throw an anchor out in the spring is it going to cause an uproar....Please don't refer to the regional in your response...That is water under the bridge, but help this rookie to keep from stepping on his D@#@..

MadWags

This takes place all the time. That is why the powerpole was invented. It is part of the game that we are not as used to because our fishing techniques don't normally lend themselves to this tactic.
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

motocross269

Thanks for the info....A couple of years ago during a spring club tournament I found a cluster of beds on Burt and Mullet not much bigger than half a football field..Obviously you can't protect them all, but I have always wondered about what would be a good tactic..

How close would you feel comfortable moving in on someone in a bedding area that has his TM down to hit another bed that a competitor isn't fishing...???

I have seen guys pretty tight, but like I said, just trying to educate myself on what is percieved as right and wrong...I know what the rules say, but we all know there is such a thing as common courtesy also...
Thanks for the info

djkimmel

Do unto others as you'd have done to you. If everyone practriced that golden rule, things would be much simpler. More gentlemenly.

I have seen tournament bass anglers say they practice this, yet they seem to only be 'practicing' it when they pull in on someone else already there yet give you the business if you do the same exact thing back to them.

Has to work both ways all the time for it to work instead of the 'do what I say not what I do' some anglers practice who say they follow the golden rule. If you wouldn't want it done to you, then don't do it to anyone else.

I try to avoid the few anglers who seem to cause most of the controvery if I can. If they come in on me when I'm there first, practicing their one way version of the golden rule, I try to bite my tongue and ignore them the best I can.

If I really thought I had a specific area to myself when I pulled in there and no one else is around, I might anchor if I thought it was the best approach more than any other reason. I've only done it a few times. Had people try to encroach a couple times. I just reminded them the rules and ignored any grumbling. If I KNEW someone else was fishing the same area too, to my knowledge and recal I have never tried to beat them there and anchor to exclude them. That doesn't seem sportsmanlike or gentlemanly to me.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

As a Co angler I have been very surprised at times on how close some of these guys will fish to each other...Even when open water fishing on LSC....I know sometimes there are deals made between boaters, but at other times I here a little squabbling.....

I appreciate the info and I will log it into my memory banks when I get ready to move to the front of the boat in the next couple of years.....

Tournament fishing is just fun for me and that is all it every will be...Any friends that I make or my reputation as a competitor will be around long after any checks that I win........

Mark117

First off, sorry for my two cents or lack of? >:(

Anchoring on a spot is legal. We all know the game. Drop anchor in front of me and I might just tie up to your boat? ;D I like what Dan said, and its all about respect.

Sorry Bond, that was not right to bring you into the picture.

Dan, I will not post on this site again because I can't control my thoughts.

Sorry again to Skip, Eric, Dan,& GLB,

jj sniper "ALL OUT OF LEAD"

MadWags

Quote from: Mark117 on October 07, 2009, 01:50:56 AM
Dan, I will not post on this site again because I can't control my thoughts.               

They make medicine for that. ;D

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

motocross269

I made a repost to try to keep from stirring up anything again...I could see myself dropping anchor on a hot bedding area and I was just trying to nail down the protocol...
Thanks for all of the information...I will feel free to drop an anchor, but I won't cut anyone off with my speedy Bass Cat......      ;D

By the way if you see me in a tournament feel free to fish close...Just bring me a MT Dew and a Oatmeal creme pie and all will be good.....    ;D   

bshaner

No offense to you moto, definately not directed at you - but...

Why are people having a problem with Anchoring???  It is legal, it's not really controversial anywhere but around here it seems.  It's a great defense, which as the saying goes is a good offense.

The rule is reitterated at every tournament and now the PowerPole is specifically added to the rules.

I just dont understand why it is unsportsmanlike?  Or even why it is a consideration when judging someone's character.  Or why an angler is judged as the bad person in a situation for holding another angler accountable for a clearly defined rule.

Buy a faster boat and a better anchor if your feelings are hurt because someone anchored a spot before you.

I guarantee you if I anchor ( never have, dont even have an anchor in my boat, but if I do ) I will make a complaint with the TD if someone violates the rule.

Moto,  Anchor when you want/need.  They dont like it, politely wave with as many fingers as you deem necessary and remind them they can fish another trail or tournament or body of water that doesnt have that rule.  Good luck, I havent seen a trail that hasnt copied that rule word for word from someone else.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

mikesmiph

I have an anchor in my boat. It just doesn't have any rope tied to it.

MadWags

It is a good idea to have a functional anchor in your boat for reasons other than blocking competing anglers. ;)

bshaner

I dont carry an anchor for one simple reason.  I do not want to pay the price for the damage/injury I would do with it to jet ski's and tuna boats.  I've got one sitting in my garage that I used to carry on my boat but the temptation just became too much for me.   :P 8)

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

djkimmel

I try to be clear, but as in all life, we all look at things from our own vantage point and belief system first. I hope I mostly try to remind people to consider 'the other guy' is also doing the same (from HIS/HER vantage and belief system). Follow the rules and treat people as fairly as possible with respect.

I have anchored when it seemed prudent and the best way to accomplish what was needed. I will not beat someone from yesterday to a spot today and anchor to block him/her out if we were both fishing it yesterday seemingly on even and fair footing.

Communication is a valuable skill. I try to use it with other anglers when prudent and feasible. Sometimes it works wonders and sometimes... just wastes breath. But I like to try and hope other people do too.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Dan

Wise words from our sensei. I agree whole heartedly. Why ruin an outing because there is all this anxiety created over a spot. It is one of those things that never will be solved and will always be discussed. There are all kinds of people in this world and you need to be prepared to meet up with them any time you are out and about. Attempting to work things out will placate your own conscience at the very least.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Skulley

In most tournaments the rules are usually stated as the "trolling motor up and anchored on a spot competitors must give that boat 50 feet/yards(depending on the organization) diameter around the anchored boat.  Being a gentleman/good sport respect this rule and guideline.

BD           ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com