Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:13:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Dropshotting paddle sticks

Started by Savage, September 12, 2009, 10:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savage

Well I have to rave about my trusty Paddle Sticks again, they are my go-to dropshotting bait.  I used them last year at Charlevoix to make the Northern Divisional tournament, and the bass in Escanaba liked them well enough to help me capture the Michigan berth into the national tournament.

I have to give credit to my teammates up there at the Divisional for turning me on to the right color.  They were having luck with senko-type baits and mentioned that it was a baby bass color that was working the best.

I tried using the green pumpkin gold color that had worked so well for me at Charlevoix and tagged a couple fish, but when I switched to the green watermelon I really started to hammer them.  I was able top get 22 1/2 on the first day and 19 1/2 on the second, and some of the biggest fish came on those little Paddle Sticks.  In clear water they are hard to beat. They seem pretty small, but the fish see them a mile away and I watched them charge the bait from over 15 feet away in the shallows around Big Bay de Noc.

It's a money bait.
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

oldjigger

where do you get these paddle sticks????

djkimmel

Case Plastics

I think this is the one he is talking about - Salty Paddle Stik 4-1/4" - Green Watermelon

They have a wide color selection and many great finesse baits too!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Savage

Like Dan says, you can get them online at their website.  I use the green pumpkin, watermelon, and green pumkin with gold flake the most, but on an overcast day or in deep water I'll throw the white one too.

They are awesome for bedding fish too, but keep that one to yourself... ;)
Sponsors:
GreatLakesBass.com
Case Soft Plastics
Oxygenator Livewell Systems
O-Wacky Tools
Stong Outdoors
Toyota Trucks

djkimmel

I sure won't tell anyone... definitely, I won't talk about the hellgrammites.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

Quote from: djkimmel on September 14, 2009, 10:41:34 PM
I sure won't tell anyone... definitely, I won't talk about the heckgrammites.

I won't tell anyone either!   ;D
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

bigjc

I believe the Salty Paddle Stix are a variation of the Jack's worm, which I have used for a few years now both Jig worming and Drop Shotting, it is a great finesse worm.

Mojo

Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

djkimmel

That is a good question. I'll have to ask because I'm not sure if that is part of the design. Savage might not be around. He is getting ready to compete in the BASS Federation Nation national championship:
October 26-30
2009 Championship
Harris Chain of Lakes, Tavares, FL

I can ask the guys from Case if he isn't available.

dartag

I plan on using some on Cass tomorrow.   i will let you know if they float.  great drop shot bait.  in the spring i like them for bed fishing.

djkimmel

I look forward to the fishing and product report!!

dartag

nope they sink.   

but they did help us get 2nd place at the last chance yesterday.  used them to catching schooling smallies.   the bass were chasing little minnows on the surface.  the gulls were having a feast also.    Gulp fry worked also but the paddle stick is a little tougher and lasted longer.  hold up better.

most fun i have had all year.   

djkimmel

Congratulations and thanks for the report. I thought maybe they have salt in them which is not conducive to float.