Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:22:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Cadillac/Mitchell

Started by slowmo, July 06, 2009, 11:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowmo

My family is going to Cadillac/Mitchell next week for the first time.  Heard it was pretty good for bass fishing.  Can someone give me some tips as to what lures/techniques to use up there and any particulars as far as what depth or cover the bass may be in currently?  Also: what info can you offer about each lake as far as bass fishing is concerned?  What size on average are the bass on these lakes and is the fishing easy or hard at this time of year?  If there are any underwater hazards (sandbars/rocks/stumps, etc.) on these lakes please clue me in about their locations.  Again, any information would be greatly appreciated... thankyou.

Ranger5Smallie

Stop at Pilgrims Village, they will have the most up to date info.  Its just east of the channel on Lake Mitchell.  Right next door to the state park.

Both lakes are good but Mitchell for largies imo better.  Look for the weed edges and fish plastics.

Regarding running the lake...its wide open nothing to scary.  Fun lake enjoy!!!

Dan

I would not agree to the running anywhere. You have to make sure you swing south, left when entering Mitchell from the Clam Canal. There are some big rocks straight out of the channel. The lakes get pounded but do produce fish all summer despite weekend and weekday tournament pressure. Fish pig and jigs in the weed openings for largies. I have found soft plastic jerk baits to be very effective because of all the weeds. Topwater there is always good early and late. Make sure you see Steve at Pilgrim's Village. Best bait shop in northwest MI hands down. Steve knows the lakes well. I like Mitchell best, but have been beat on Cadillac. Cadillac also has some of my favorite eating places. The Chinese food restaurant going north out of town (next to the adult book store) has a great lunch, General Tso Chicken is my favorite. The Dawg House has great food and outstanding baked goods. Got to have pie there. The Eldorado Golf Course has great food and a great relaxing view. Chico's near the state park has super Mexican food. Also next to the Clark gas station near the park is a place that makes pasties. They are a must stop for me every time I'm through Cadillac.
If you are trailering a boat and want to get away Lake Missaukee is not far away and is a good underfished lake.
I have a number of articles on Cadillac and Mitchell on my teardropbass.com website.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Dougdad

There are alot of good small water lakes around Cadillac as well, as well  as some nice quiet primitive campgrounds.  Try Diamond, Sunrise, and Center by Tustin. Or go farther south for Hicks, or Rose.  We been doing OK on Berry and Saffire also.
Big or small they are all fun,  Take a kid fishing.!!!

slowmo

Our gang just arrived home after a week up at Cadillac/Mitchell lakes camping trip.  The advice and info given by "Dan" was great.  We never made it to the eateries (Dawg House was closing when we went there) but did enjoy our time nonetheless.  As far as the fishing went... well first off it was very windy most days and cooler temps prevailed all week!  Yet we did manage a few hours of fishing most days.  Having three teens along made being into the fishing kind of secondary as rule one was showing them the ropes of fishing (they are beginners) with lure tying, weed removal and the constant crossing/tangling of lines!  We caught some bass, many pike and a few panfish too.  Our best day fishing saw us (actually my girlfriend and I) land six bass (best a 3.2) and over half a dozen pike.  The lures used: a wacky rigged worm, texas rigged tube and a few spinnerbaits (pike loved 'em!) to catch the bass on.  Having never been on either lake... it was kind of a learning week of fishing for us.  We noticed right off the dark brown water color and with the winds it (the water) became cloudier each day.  Another thing we noticed was the very high/ thick weeds even over ten foot depths.  This alone made working lures thru the weeds a real test...with only single hooked lures being used.   I'd love to fish these lakes earlier in the summer when the weeds are much thinner and less tall... as it would show me the path to better bass catchin!  Again I'd like to thank Dan and others for their info on these lakes... and what kind of fishing our family could expect.  We'll be back, thanks, "Slowmo".

fasttrack

Where did you stay, and what kind of boat do you have? I took my son up there this weekend but the totally crappy weather limited our fishing. We stayedat Mitchell State park, just off the canal, and I have a 19' Ranger. I noticed a few (but only a few) other bass boats in the park. Never saw more than a couple boats on the water at anytime. The few hours we were on the water (my son pointed out how we could see our breath - how many times that happen in July?!?!) we caught next to nothing (a couple dinks). Wish I could have got him into some better fishing, but he was just happy to be away from his younger brothers for a couple days and hang out with dad. Nothing wrong with that! Glad to hear you caught a few

Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

slowmo

Fastrac...yes we stayed at the same campground and left saturday around 11am.  We don't have a bass boat, just an all around tin rig!  I spoke with many fisherman during the week (bass boat guys too) and no one was catching many bass... so I feel we did alright by landing 2 to 4 bass a day.   Most of the bass we caught were keepers (chunky bass) and our biggest bass (est. 4 plus) threw my spinnerbait... and a bit later we landed a 3.2 our biggest bass landed.   I noticed a slight difference in the depthes we caught bass at in the two lakes.  In Cadillac most bass we hooked up with were in 2 to 5 feet and in Mitchell the bass were in 4 to 8 feet.  I also had better success in the sparser weeds we tried to fish.  Windward weed edges and casting "upwind" seemed to be the ticket.   Too bad you were not at the camp earlier in the week as I'm sure we could've shared info and even fished some together.  I also have a son and his friend was also along... although they are both kind of beginners to fishing.  We had a good time even though it was downright miserable at times.  Hope you enjoy the rest of the fishing season... good day, Slowmo.

Dougdad

Slow seems to be normal thing this year in the whole wexford, osceola, missauke area.  This year has been the worst fishing year I have had. The unstable weather seems to have everything messed up. ??? 
Big or small they are all fun,  Take a kid fishing.!!!

fasttrack

Thanks for the reply Slomo - yeah too bad we didn't meet up there. We just came up Fri afternoon and left about the same time as you on Sun. Had a family camping trip a week earlier and another one coming up later this week - taking way too many days off this summer but having fun! This was just a bonding time with my oldest - he's growing up so fast and as busy as life is it seems like we were drifting. Enough being sappy - maybe we'll connect another time....

I did talk to an old guy at the gas station next door on the way out of the park. He was just getting up there and going to stay a couple days. Been doing so for a number of years. He CLAIMS that last year the two of them caught over 900 crappie in two days (throwing back all but a few to eat). Said that Mitchell is the lake to fish for them and use 1/32 oz jigs (plain, no live bait). It's always "should of been here last year/week". True with the numbers or not, he sounded pretty knowlegable and was very friendly.

Marc
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil