Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:14:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

St Jeans

Started by bassassasin88, June 24, 2009, 08:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassassasin88

How safe is it to launch at the St Jeans ramp by yourself? I have heard mixed opinions. Also, how far is that from the Belle river hump? I only have a forty horse, and I cant get anywhere fast. Thanks.

Bender

Just a bit over 15 miles from St. Jeans: http://marinecruiser.com/chart.html
Askins Point isn't too far, might try that. Last year I went out with plans to head to the hump but never made it past Askins, too many good fish there to leave!

As far as the ramp, I never had a problem down there but I've only been out of there a few times and it only takes once for bad things to happen, but that is the same anywhere. I feel safer at St. Jeans than a lot of other ramps though.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

djkimmel

Is the attendant there all the time now?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

I haven't heard of any problems at St Jeans this year...Other than I think that is where the Drunk ran over someone in the parking lot....

fiker

Chris and I went there during the "fish for Walleye cause Bass ain't open" Season earlier this year.  There were several attendants there then.  I thought it looked like a pretty good, safe, and secure launch.  I believe that it is totally fenced in.  There were only two problems I could see.

Parking:  If they run out of space on the paved lot, you have to park in a grassy area.  Beware of debris.

The launch:  Although deep enough, it is narrow when you back your boat away from the dock.  Just be careful.  The other thing is, if you are alone, and have to leave your boat while you go park, I'm not sure how secure the stuff on your boat is.  Most anglers are very honest, but it only takes one.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

t-bone

Based on this free press article - I don't think the drunk was at St. Jeans
http://www.freep.com/article/20090625/NEWS05/90625050/1118/rss

I've used St. Jean's a couple times every year and have never had problems. The nearby area is being developed and cleaned up. Nice houses and my guess is that has helped with the access roads being put into better shape and positive improvements in general appearance.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

motocross269

My mistake......

It is too bad that guy got hurt, but if more citizens would get involved like these guys tried to do it would save alot of lives.....

I will be launching out of St Jeans next week...It is good to hear that everything is going well there...

Skulley

I have been going to St. Jeans for years.  I have heard of some problems but have never encountered any myself.  There is an attendant there.  There have been more than two on the grounds.  I have always given them any walleye I have caught and they keep an extra good eye on your vehicle as they remember who you are when you are a "frequent flyer".  It is $10 to launch.  May see you there Sunday.  I will be fishing with Mojo.  We may go down to Erie weather permitting.  Especially since the south shore has been reported as being muddy.

BD           ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

River Walker

Can you launch out of there as early as 5:00AM?

Team houston

I have been there earlier than 6 and it was open

djkimmel

My first experience with St Jeans was a little scary years ago. No attendant. Burned out houses coming in (all gone now). Piles of window glass and empty cans of fix-a-flat. Then finding out the person who recommended I launch there was broken into there the day before!!!

I've only launched there during the NBAA open the past few years. Seems like they are cleaning it up some. Seems like an attendant is there most or all of the time now.

Very steep ramp with tiny docks. But it works if you want to fish in that area. $10 is a little steep, but many ramps are heading that way and some are more. I guess I'd launch there now as long as the attendant was in when I came in. I'd definitely be nice to him and hope he likes me ;D

Years ago, I watched a buy run Andy Nowyorkas over with his tandem trailer at a boat ramp. No drinking involved just a combination of tournament fever and too early in the morning. Thank goodness he had just launched the boat rather than have that additional weight on him.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

I launched there yesterday.  No problems.  Attendant was on duty.  Launch opens at 0500 hours.  It is still $10 to launch.  I was the third one there.  Launch is getting busy again.  Most burned out houses are gone.  They have really cleaned up the area even since last year.  There more scary part is driving there and driving home through that old east side neighborhood.  Still in the shadow of Chryslers Jefferson Assembly Plant.  That has now reopened since the bankruptcy.  They are again building Jeep Grand Cherokees there. 

When I returned to the launch at about 1400 there were about 20 other vehicles with trailers there.  Some were bass boats.  There were three boats launching when I returned.  I felt better about going there after seeing the improvements even since last year.  I would advise passing on this weekend as the boat races make for a lot of river traffic.  Not too bad going out but terrible going back to the launch from fishing.  Last year it was crazy.  Lots and lots of boats.  I will be fishing Erie this week as an alternative. 

BD             ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com