Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 04:37:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Tippy Dam Backwaters

Started by new2fish, April 16, 2009, 06:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

new2fish

Thanks Dan.
We are planing to stay on Gov. Islnd. an I never been up that far.I am taking a 16 ft fbgls boat .I don't even Know where can we leave the trucks for the couple of days.You are the second person to told me about the store.Mainly we are going to stay on the big water ,because of the boat.No canoes.And i don't want to wake up next to Yogi!!
new2fish.

Dan

You could leave the truck at the ramp I mentioned above. It's the Norman Township ramp. Take Snyder Rd which is just East of Wellston north to   
Robinson Rd. It's in the boonies but the ramp is relatively new and they have a lot of parking. You could even camp there a night if you had to. If you have trouble ask at Pappy's Bait and Tackle right on M55 in Wellston. Wellston is about 8 miles west of M37 on M55. You are heading up from the Grand Rapids area I think so you're either taking 131 up to Cadillac then across on M55 or taking M37 north of Baldwin to where M37 crosses M55.
Dublin General Store is just a few miles south of Wellston and is a must stop. They have anything you will need and are very helpful. You can't beat their prices on most anything and they have some great food in their deli case. Try the pulled pork sandwich. Talk to Grant in the meat department, and he'll give you the local scoop on Tippy. He's the big blonde guy that you want on your side if there's a fight  :D.
Click on the Pdf picture attachment just below for the map for the ramp. You'll see where Robinson Rd runs into Tippy and it gives you an idea of where you are on the water.

http://www.dublinstore.com/
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

bigjc

Plenty deep, just stay in the channel.  Try draggin' stick baits along the standing timber for smallies and walleye.

new2fish

Thanks Guys!!
I will say Hello to everyone up there,I hope this will be my new favorite place after this trip.I don't know yet ,what route we are taking.I talk to lots of people and they never heard of this place.Thanks again guys!!!
new2fish

Dan

I probably started fishing Tippy 20 to 25 years ago. I have won a couple of bass tournaments on it. Both times there were 25 boats and we won with 3 fish. It can get very tough. It is a scenic place, but if you're looking for quantity it wouldn't be my first choice. I would love to go back there though and fish with a drop shot. I think those smallies, the big ones anyway, are deep. If you don't mind state park camping the place to go would be Interlochen State Park. Three excellant smallmouth and largemouth lakes within just a few miles of the park. You can camp on the rustic side to get out of the crowd and it's right on Green Lake. Interlochen is on Duck and they are across the street from each other. Then you have Long Lake just down the road a short distance. Another nice campground is Whitewater Township Park right on Elk Lake. This time of year would be pretty hot for Elk, Skeegamog and Torch.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."