Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:44:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Burt Mullet Co-angler advise

Started by t-bone, June 01, 2009, 10:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckeye

Well, what was funny to me was that you would look over at the boat and see the co but not the boater.  Then, we could see him over the side with the cone.  I would not have believed it had I not seen it with my own two eyes.

Eric 

bshaner

I really dont like the idea of that cone thing, I've been hearing about it for a while, but I am DEFINATELY opposed to it during tourney hours.  I think it needs to go, atleast during the tourney.

I dont think the "in the fall" comment was a mistake.  I heard it too and it caused me to do the what the heck did I just hear head swivel.

I'm not saying I have an answer but combine the long travel north with a bed fishing tourney and I think these numbers will continue to decline.

95 boats for the first tourney of the year??  I guess my advice to co-anglers for burt/mullett bed fishing if I had to be honest would be "don't waste your time and gas".

A Burt/Mullett in the fall would definately be worth boaters and co-angler's time.

I'll cut my thoughts off and maybe continue it in the already existing thread about BFL schedules.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

skeeterman190

If hes using that thing during the tourney thats BS! I had 2 wait 4 the wind to die alittle saturday to find my fish.. then i get a snipe job from my co that wouldve gave me about 21.. oh well. i go to shorten my tubes legs(short striking it) and i hear  bloop and a drag screaming. i about lost it..5.7....skeeterman
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

skeeterman190

T_BONE dont laugh at that stuff think out side the box.. it works.
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

motocross269

Quote from: skeeterman190 on June 08, 2009, 07:32:53 PM
If hes using that thing during the tourney thats BS! I had 2 wait 4 the wind to die alittle saturday to find my fish.. then i get a snipe job from my co that wouldve gave me about 21.. oh well. i go to shorten my tubes legs(short striking it) and i hear  bloop and a drag screaming. i about lost it..5.7....skeeterman

That is BS..I would have thrown him in the lake...I fished as a Co on Bedding fish and I wouldn't have dreamed of throwing on a boaters fish...If a boater was working a bed I would have fan casted off from the back and hoped for the best....If he told me to give it a shot only then would I throw on the bed

That cone deal reminds me of Roland Martins platform in BASS.....Can't knock a guy for thinking outside the box until the rules say otherwise...I think they had about 6 "Roland Martin" rules...

Team houston

If a Regional is there it won't be for the Mi division.

Eric

Why not?  We always fish on the Mississippi against the Great Lakes division.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

jcox7

Terry
     I anchored the front and back of the boat for over an hour so that my co could fish for 2 diffrent 4 plus pounders while one of my big fish settled back down while I did this I stood on the back deck trying to teach my co how to bed fish.  It was a great day weighin in 24 lbs was good I could never get my last big one to bite a second time worked him for over 2.5 hours. My co did get his limit on bedding fish but not the pigs I had him anchord on they were tough and he just couldnt cast the best.

t-bone

It's great to hear boaters treating their co-anglers so well and why not help them out while your fish is settling down. Nice job on the 24lbs, you would have had a chance to win with that last fish! My buddies (Seth, Charlie, Britt) all helped their CO's get fish, so it isn't as bad as some think to be a CO in a bedding tournament after all!

My boater was nice enough to let me throw in beds together but that was mostly because I was helping him find a couple late in the day. I think he would have done that if he was targeting beds from the beginning, so I can't complain too much. Next time I fish a bed tournament, I might just bring my boat and a portable GPS to mark beds in practice and then if my boater isn't on them - I'll share! (or better yet - I'll be the boater!)
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Buckeye

Well, this is my third year fishing the BFL and first as a boater.  I've only had one boater that I wanted to dump in the lake.  Everybody else has been great.  Most of the boaters I had were in the Buckeye division, and Ohio guys tend to be a pain in the rear, but only one of mine was.  Of course, I want say any names.  I love the mentality of the Michigan divison.  The boaters and co's really seem interested in learning and teaching. 

I guess I think it's that way because the Michigan guys are used to be spread out.  There's so much water to fish, compared to Ohio.  In Ohio, we just get in line behind one another. It's close quarter combat fishing.  It's not always nicey-nice, if you get my drift.  I think it causes tempers to flare up, and I think it's why I enjoy fishing up north and down south.  I avoid Ohio except for Erie and my club tourneys.  If I catch a fish in a club tourney, I could care less what else happens.  I won't fight over a spot in a club tourney.

Eric

Team houston

The Great lakes Division fishes on the Missippi river but on the pools way farther North. I believe no Division ever fishes a Regional on a body of water that was on their schedule. It may have happened but it is for sure a rarity.

Buckeye

I think TH is right.  If they hold the regional at Burt Mullet, they won't permit the Michigan division to fish it.  At least, that seems like the rule they use in placing divisions at regionals.

Eric

jcox7

You are not correct, the Bfl is trying to work out a deal for the regional to be at burt and mullett which the michigan division will fish the rule is that we will not be able to fish that body of water next year.  Therfore rumor has it we will be going to elk and torch in the spring Anthony while here had meetingings with the chamber of commerce in both locations

Buckeye

All I can say is that is one awesome body of water.  There's so much you could do.  I fished down into th3e Crooked River, and wondered if I could get to Crooked Lake, but not knowing the water forced me to stay in Burt for practice.  You technically could go to Black Crooked, Pickerel...It's nice to be able to spread out and fish.

Can you make it all the way to the Little Traverse Bay?

Eric

t-bone

I knew guys that fished crooked lake, we went there to fun fish on Friday - knowing we weren't going to fish there on Saturday and we had guys being pretty protective of their areas.

I guess you can make all the way to Huron but that was off limits for the tourney.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Smallie 1

I got to fish with now two time winner Chad Pipkens and learned alot from Chad, he is a great fisherman who did his best to get me a limit of smallies, he had plenty of waypoints marked for the co to fish after he got his winning limit and I had plenty of time to get a limit but only managed four fish due to fact that beds were empty or fish came unbuttoned (my fault) and did not return to bed. In fact with ten minutes left before 3:00 p.m. Chad said he had one last waypoint in deeper water for me to fish and was sure no one had fished it, we pulled up and sure enough the fish was there, I drop shotted and was able to get the fish, a nice approx. three & half pounder. It was then off to the weigh-in.  where my weight was just over fourteen pounds for four fish. I made some mistakes and should have had a limit but thats fishing. I would like to thank Chad for giving me the chance to fish and even giving me the winning bait to use, in fact I had over four hours to fish after Chad got his limit where he did not pick up a pole just drove from spot to spot. Good Fishing and Good Luck to all Smallie 1

blakstr1

Quote from: Smallie 1 on June 10, 2009, 03:24:21 PM
I got to fish with now two time winner Chad Pipkens and learned alot from Chad, he is a great fisherman who did his best to get me a limit of smallies, he had plenty of waypoints marked for the co to fish after he got his winning limit and I had plenty of time to get a limit but only managed four fish due to fact that beds were empty or fish came unbuttoned (my fault) and did not return to bed. In fact with ten minutes left before 3:00 p.m. Chad said he had one last waypoint in deeper water for me to fish and was sure no one had fished it, we pulled up and sure enough the fish was there, I drop shotted and was able to get the fish, a nice approx. three & half pounder. It was then off to the weigh-in.  where my weight was just over fourteen pounds for four fish. I made some mistakes and should have had a limit but thats fishing. I would like to thank Chad for giving me the chance to fish and even giving me the winning bait to use, in fact I had over four hours to fish after Chad got his limit where he did not pick up a pole just drove from spot to spot. Good Fishing and Good Luck to all Smallie 1

WOW, that is an awesome day and a testament to the type of fisherman, sportsman, and all around great guys and gals that are out there doing what we all love. Wish there were more like him.  ;)
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Durand Dan

24 of 95 co-anglers got their limit. Not bad!

djkimmel

You can get to Crooked and Pickerel through a small, low-head lock run by the MDNR on the Crooked River.

You cannot get to Black Lake. There are 2 or 3 dams in the way on the Black River. I've fished one of the river-run reservoir sections before. No boat locks on the Black River. I've gone up it from the Cheboygan River about as far as you can go in a bass boat and it is very shallow and rocky. Hard on the hull ;D

What was big bass on Saturday? (I heard our own BrianB caught a big 6.2 on Sunday for big bass - way to go Brian!!)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I see farther back something about a 6-13 being big bass. Just wondered. A fall regional would be fun for everyone up there, but it might make me have to adjust the timing of my annual fall trip up there so I still have a little 'solitude' ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.