Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:42:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Saginaw Bay 5-31-09

Started by McCarter, June 01, 2009, 09:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McCarter

Never again!

McCarter himself :-\'

chase5004

You must be working in the media with a comment made like that. Tell us more!!!

Pat

dartag

can't be worse than a day on Kent lake

SethV

Quote from: McCarter on June 01, 2009, 09:33:49 AM
Never again!

Sounds like a good story.  Do tell....

McCarter

Not much to tell, really ;D

Chris and I went up there to help Jezierski out with his SBBB tournament.  The night before, everyone was talking about running to the Charitys, but we didnt want to fish in the crowd ( really we just didnt want to get in any of those guys way being that between the 2 of us, we have a total of 8 hours experience on SB) so we decided to head to North Island.  I think it was 15 or 19 miles from the Au Gres launch.  The winds were mild the morning of the tournament and we were making good time to the island and then the winds picked up something awful.  Since we were almost there, we pressed on and finally made it to North.  When we dropped the trolling motor, we noticed how dirty the water was, we idled around looking for cleaner water with no luck, all the while watching the waves grow bigger and bigger.  we finally made the decision to head back after taking several large waves over the bow while just floating.  So then began what would turn out to be the worst 2.5 hours of both of our lives.

I have been on St Clair in the worst possible conditions and have seen eries 6-8 ft waves first hand from the deck of a bass boat.  I have never seen water so angry and violent and we did coming back from North Island.  Actually, when we first started heading back, i knew we were in trouble but as it turns out, the first few miles were a cake walk.  the waves were topping 4 ft but were only coming in groups of 3 with smaller, more manageable waves in between.  Once the winds picked up a little more, the  big waves were more consistant and the ones we could see on the horizon were even bigger and uglier.  We took a few over the bow and had to stop to let the boat drain a few times.  In true McCarter fashion, i opted for tennis shoes over my waterproof, thinsulated boots and for a while i thought i might lose my toes to frost bite.  Actually, my real concern was not tipping or sinking the boat or anything like that.  I was, however, very concerned that we might be in danger of hypothermia.  I should mention that it was only 36 degrees that morning.  Add to that a strong 20-30 mph wind that we were heading straight into, and the fact that were were both soaked from head to toe and you can imagine what it was like. 

We stopped about halfway back and switched seats.  Chris had enough and it was my turn to battle the brute force of the bay.  Since i had no hood on my rain gear, i grabbed Chris's extra set of frog togs to wear over my 100 mph jacket so i could keep my head covered.  But when I tried to zip it up, i realized i couldnt move my fingers......at all.  I couldnt even close them on the zipper.  They were so cold.  I rubber them together for a few seconds until i got just enough feeling back to zip up and let the boat drain for another minute and we were on our way again.  Making a wide, zig zag pattern, I was able to get a little more speed while still playing the waves good enough to not take any over the bow.  and in about an hours time, we could see land again.  I cant explain how happy i was to see the shoreline.  As we got closer, the waves got smaller and eventually i was able to get up to about 16 mph and coast us back into the river channel.

I dropped Chris at the dock so he could bring the truck down.  Once we pulled the boat out and i stood up, i noticed there was no feeling in either of my feet.  It felt like i was standing on two nubs.  As uncomfortable a feeling as that was, i walked around until they started tingling and i could finally wiggle my toes.  Then we packed everything up, stripped off our soaked clothes ( as much as federal, state, and local law allow) cranked the heat up to 90* and headed out.  as we past the docks, i gave them the finger and spit on the ramp, vowing never to return.

What a ride it was.  I dont think it would have been near as bad if the weather was warmer.  I dont recall ever being that cold in my life and was really getting worried for a while.  This was my second time to the Bay and my second bad experience.  The last one involved the Coast Guard but thats a whole nother story.  So i think i am about done fishing over there.

On a positive note, we decided to head over to Wixom Lake to calm our fish cravings and managed to catch a handful of fish with a couple being nice ones.  That salvaged the day in a huge way. 

Eric

I agree Brian.  I won't go there either.  Just not worth it.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

SethV

Glad you guys are ok.  Big water can be brutal for sure.

I have never been on SB.  Still want to go.  You can't scare me.   :o

oldjigger

scare isn't the word the word is RESPECT for the force of the water, for everyones safety, and for our sport.  Anyone can go out there and get back if they are careful and RESPECT the water.  Everyone is or should be a little nervous of what could happen with a minor misjudgement in that environment

Lightningboy

Now you know why Mike & I bugged out in the morning.  We had intended to fish Sunday's tx.  Got up, had breakfast, put on the long johns.  (It was in the high 30's in the AM each day)  We had the boat hitched and were just pulling through the parking lot when we heard the NOAA report on my hand held.  Called for a repeat of Saturday, SW winds with 2-4 footers.  I looked at Mike and said, "what do you think, really want to do this again?"  Mike said, "Another day in the cold wind and that boat ride?"

We turned South instead on 23.

No matter what, we all have to remember that bass boats are not intended for 4 footers.  Guys may talk about how one or the other is a better big water ride, but once you hit over 3 feet you need a different ride.  Even a walleye rig like the ranger fisherman is marginal in that kind of water.

Total damages for me were a broken bounce buster on my TM, and lost one of my air intakes on the cowling.  I'm searching now for a better system to secure the TM.

But don't anyone give up on Saginaw Bay.  You gotta pick & choose your days, but the bass fishing at big Charity is just unreal.  Get out there on a good day, and you'll be blown away.

BigSmallie

So from what I'm reading.....it sounds like Saginaw Bay beats Lake Erie hands down on the roughest water of the big 3...??  (Lake Erie, St. Clair & Saginaw Bay)

I did not know that.  Good info to know.

BS  ;)
"I don't care how you did the other day......bring em' to the scales"

Bulletproof

Sorry to hear about your trip; really, sorry.  The Bay is the scariest water I've been on in the entire GL's basin, hands down.  Guys don't think it's bad, but the Bay is an entirely different animal.  Big waves on the bay are not gentle rollers and are next to impossible to navigate/pattern.  I was gonna fish both tourneys this weekend, but opted out on Sat and knowing the conditions for Sunday were similar, well that was an easy call.  I live in Freeland and when she just a has a little bit of blow in the air here, I know the Bay is pretty much not going to be fun.  I won't go unless it's dead bass calm here.  The tournaments aren't worth it when the waves are 3+ feet.  When you start talking 4+ footers on the bay in any bass boat, well you better be ready for a 'religious experience'!  It's not worth beating the crap outta your boat and literally putting your life on the line...

Glad to hear you guys made it back, been there done that and won't do it again!
I am haunted by waters.

MBell

Saginaw seems to be the roughest in my opinion, erie gets bigger waves but they seem to be more manageable.  I've never feared for my life on St. Clair, it's just not fun when it gets rough.  A good prop is a must on all of these waters.  I had enough fish on North to win, and I didn't even think about making that run in a NW wind.  I can imagine how bad it was. 
-Matt

Dan

I don't mind saying that the big water scares me and mainly because I haven't had that much experience behind the wheel in it. I have ridden with some good boat drivers in some wicked weather, and if you know how to handle your rig in that water it helps, but it is still scary stuff and it takes it toll on your body and your boat. Sounds like that ride from North Island was a blinger. I've fished Saginaw Bay a number of times, but have been careful to try and stay away from 3-4 footers. Reading that post only solidifies those concerns. Glad you guys made it back albeit in a frozen shake mode, or maybe slushy would be a more apt description. Thanks for sharing those are important stories for us all to read and heed.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

BigSmallie

Quote from: MBell on June 02, 2009, 09:04:02 AM
I had enough fish on North to win, and I didn't even think about making that run in a NW wind.  I can imagine how bad it was. 
-Matt

We had about 27 to 28 pounds lined up too.......but could not get to the 5 fish we needed...also due to the wind.    And of course.....there were the 2 fish that would not bite.....Saturday OR Sunday! >:(     

BS  ;)       

Mark117

i want to take the blame for the worst trip of your lives. Chris and Brian i am truely sorry. Letting you go to North with no other boat was suicide... I'm sorry for the pain and bad experience. 
This is for everyone: IF THE LAKE IS TO ROUGH, CALL FOR THE TRUCK!!!! don't be a hero. Better to be safe than sorry. How many times have i heard that???

Jon " don't hate the player, hate the game " Jezierski

p.s. on that note: HOPE TO SEE EVERYONE NEXT YEAR! THANKS ; ;D

TCook

Never been on the bay and probably never will. To be honest from everything I have heard in the past about that place scares the living crap out of me.  I remember hearing stories about guys staying the night in there boats because it got to bad to make it back, taking out lower units on big rocks, numerous boats sunk in big tournaments, and even deaths. No thank you, only way I would ever fish it is if there was calm winds and I was with a very experienced guy that fished out there all the time oh ya and had a big boat. Glad you made it back Chris and Brian, sounds like you went through a nightmare that day.

T
FISH HARD!!!

wacky

mccarter, i been fishing the bay and the charitys for walleye for 20+yrs. bass fishing for only 1 out there but i know it well if you would like i will take you out sometime. i have a new 21ft lund walleye boat that takes 4-6 fters very well.

jerkin

Quote from: ebond on June 19, 2009, 08:55:42 AM
Quote from: TCook on June 18, 2009, 09:43:05 PM
...only way I would ever fish it is if there was calm winds and I was with a very experienced guy that fished out there all the time oh ya and had a big boat.

I know that guy! I turned around and fished largemouth once back in '02(?). We went out of Bayport and into a NW blow. But I will never stop going to the Bay. It's just too good. 8)
Yea, i was with you! Damm was it blowing, like 30+ or somthing! I went out plucked some TOADS last sunday 2 over 5. If your not forced to fish a tourny out there and you can just pick a day,  you will learn to love that place. Also i think  the fish are geting bigger out there?

josh617

to be honest i didnt think it was that bad on sunday, now saturday afternoon that was bad, i was out prefishing with my partner and that wind started to pick about the time guys needed to start heading back for the weigh-in. Sunday it actually took more time to get out to the charitys than it did running back in. McCarter you should have came over to the protected side and joined the party there was only like 8/12 boats over there, i think we could have accommadated one more boat. ;D first mistake was listening to jezierski, the guy only slept like 3 hrs the whole weeekend. ;)

BigSmallie

Saturday's & Sunday's wind was NOTHING......compaired to the M.B.C.F. tournament out of Saginaw river.    At last count....there were 4 boats stranded....I know of 2 personally....as I was one of them!

Just like Jon said........you've got to know when to throw in the towel.   

Belly up at a near by bar and wait for your ride to pick you up.  ;)

BS  ;)