Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:16:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

masking tape

Started by bassassasin88, April 01, 2009, 11:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassassasin88

I was painting a crankbait today, and I wanted to put some stripes on it (bluegill pattern) I used fineline, which is used for custom painting cars. Flexible, perfect lines, and its made to come off clean and not take the paint with it. Long story short, it took the paint with it. Hilarious. Not bad, just in one spot, which I was able to fix. So my question is, what kind of tape is best? I could easily spray a clear coat in between the base and the stripes, but I dont want to alter the baits action with extra weight.

Cheetam

You can use blue Painters Tape if you want to.  When using tape, just make sure your paint is completely heat set before putting it on.  Or, you could use a stencil (which is what I do).  Anything can be used as a stencil, cardboard, milk jug cartons, plastic combs (break a tooth out every other one or so), it's really up to what you can find that will work.  I stole some of my wife's scrapbook stencils to use.  They work really well.
Jeff

bassassasin88

Did some stripes today with the fineline and it worked awesome. Just gonna have to let the paint dry for awhile before putting any tape on it. Has anyone tried that clear masking paper they sell at Micheals by the airbrush stuff? Would be perfect for stencils, I bet it would pull the paint right off though.

Cheetam

I think I have seen the masking paper, buy I haven't used it.  Give it a try and let us know how it works.  So how did your bluegill bait turn out?
Jeff

bassassasin88

I am very happy with it, about to go paint the gill flap and it will be done. I think I will finish a few more then post them all at once. gonna have to do some reading to figure out how to post pics.

kmrlures

when you call, remember to touch on this topic. I am betting you work full time and have a limited amount of time to work on your baits.  YOU CAN'T RUSH ART !!! Dry time is part of the process. BUT !! There are ways to speed up the process.
Your baits look GREAT. Keep up the good work.
Joe Rummelt
231-689-0992
KMR Lure Designs
kmrlure.com