Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:04:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Looking For Prop

Started by csfishslayer, April 11, 2009, 10:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csfishslayer

I have a 75 hp mariner. Not really sure what Size prop can anyone tell me how to Find out. and where I can find a good deal on props.
S.W.A.G. Jigs And Custom Paints.

Durand Dan

I have a brand new H1-1315 I can sell you cheap. See if that will work for youand PM me

csfishslayer

That link above. Keeps saying error. I think the prop I have now is a 17p. I don't know much about props so a little help would be great. The problem I have is it takes the boat for ever to get on plane what would you guys suggest. Someone told me to try a smaller pitch.

csfishslayer

My boat info is. 18 ft F/S. Max load is 1225 LBS. 75Hp motor. The Boat came with a 120 Hp Force But that blew up.

Im not looking for the best On the market just something affordable that can help Get me a little more top end or out of the hole faster. I think I just need a bigger motor but good motors are hard to find so I will try the prop first.

LGMOUTH

It sounds like the boat might be alittle under powered but if you want to try a prop first you do want to try a smaller pitch. A smaller pitch should get you out of the hole quicker but it will turn more RPMs so you have to watch that. A higher pitch will normally give you better top end so its a trade off.
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

fowlmouth

what year is the boat/motor? do you know the actual weight? also what is your WOT rpm? pitching down to a 15 would get you more holeshot but you'll lose top end. also you need to find the operating range(rpm) for your motor and pitch your prop to match that with your boat running at a normal load.  Also, have you looked closely at your current props condition? all the blades look the same, no bends, cracks, etc.

csfishslayer

I broke a tip off last year so I have to get a new prop. I think the motor is a 95. the prop came with the motor. I don't have any of the info on the motor just the max cap for the boat it says 1225 max load. The boat runs a 5 grand now max rpm is 6 grand. not sure if this helps. I would rater get better top end the hole shot.

csfishslayer

I did a little searching for info on this prop. It calls for a 17 pitch prop exhaust threw. So now the ? is should I pitch up or down 3 blade or 4. and what's the difference with the 3 blade and 4 blade. and what is a good price for a prop . thanks

fowlmouth

4 blade will usually give better holeshot, less top end, and better handling; 4 blades are usually used in higher hp applications for this reason. If your current prop is aluminum, just going to stainless will increase your top end a little because it won't "flex". As far as price goes I would check in your local marine repair shop for used props, usually they have pretty good selection. My local shop lent me 4 used props so I could take them to the lake and run each one to see what worked for my boat/motor setup.

Ideally, you should find what Mariner says your WOT operating rpm range should be(the local shop should have this) and then you should prop it to run in that range

motocross269

Quote from: fowlmouth on April 13, 2009, 06:02:02 PM
Ideally, you should find what Mariner says your WOT operating rpm range should be(the local shop should have this) and then you should prop it to run in that range

That is the "Right" answer......If you need help searching down a used prop let me know...I may be able to help point you in the right direction...As Fowlmouth said it would be great if you could get 3 or 4 and try them out.....Do you have a Tach in your boat????

csfishslayer

zooker

Quote from: csfishslayer on April 12, 2009, 06:25:50 PM
My boat info is. 18 ft F/S. Max load is 1225 LBS. 75Hp motor. The Boat came with a 120 Hp Force But that blew up.

Im not looking for the best On the market just something affordable that can help Get me a little more top end or out of the hole faster. I think I just need a bigger motor but good motors are hard to find so I will try the prop first.

definatly needs a bigger moter..

a 75 with a 17 is a bass tracker moter-just to keep it in prespective- i would look at power tech something in a 15p 4 blade...

how ever if -thats a big if-you can get it to plane out. don't look to be turning more than 4500 rpm.
as you are pushing a heavy boat-max load just tells ya how much weight it takes to get the water line to the top cap/rub rail-hull weight is easier to figure..

an 18 foot fish and ski weighs like 2200-2800 pounds depending on year and componets with a merc/force i an guessing an early to mid 90's-wood incased glass transomes and stringers add ALOT of weight.. .a 150 horse is the ideal moter for a boat that heavy..

btw i did check your right not to many moters available in your area...i did how ever find ONE in wi...

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2001-Johnson-115hp-93701944

zooker

live from the land of the crankbait...

csfishslayer

good looking out thats not a bad deal. Thanks

River Rat

You might make get some helpful info from Wolverine Propeller in Lincoln Park (313-383-0020), they are on Southfield just west of I75 in Lincoln Park.  I've somehow lost the biz card with a name but it's a small shop and they take pride in really paying attention to detail of what you are trying to find (boat, normal load wgt including yours!, they'll ask where you go river v. lake, do you want hole v. top end, and the all important $$$, etc.)  He will do his best to do right by you... He helped me out 2yrs ago and then some w/ a 1986 Venture (not a lot of those around here) 15'10, 65 Suzuki, he didn't just grab one of the shelf and say "here", he sat down and we really talked about what to buy w/out "breaking the bank."

Good luck,
Scott
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

csfishslayer

Thanks for the info I will check that out.

Skulley

I am looking for a spare prop myself.  Currently I have a 4 blade raker.  I think it is pitched at 24.  I was thinking about a 3 blade pitched about the same.  My motor is a Johnson 155 hp industrial.  It has no markings and cased in grey.  It has cast heads instead of aluminum.  It was used in the first Desert Storm on the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers in Iraq on the patrol boats.  Pretty dependable.  Just yesterday though the electric trim motor died.  :'(  Got to get that repaired first.  Hopefully I can get it into the shop this week.

BD           ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com