Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:48:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

protect the great lakes From Sewage

Started by csfishslayer, April 15, 2009, 10:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csfishslayer

The Great Lakes hold one fifth of the world's fresh surface water, currently provide drinking water to over 42 million people, and support a multibillion dollar recreation industry.  Yet each day, our Lakes are damaged economically and ecologically by untreated sewage and polluted runoff.

Sign this petition to encourage Governor Granholm to implement creative and cost effective solutions such as green infrastructure and low-impact development to protect our water. 

Billions of gallons of raw sewage are dumped into the Great Lakes yearly by combined sewage overflows.  A combined sewage overflow happens during and after wet weather events, when rainwater or melting snow overloads many combined sewer systems.  Pollution from combined sewage overflows causes considerable damage including drinking water contamination, beach closings, basement backups, waterborne illness, closed fishing grounds, loss of tourism, and depressed property values.

We need your help encouraging Governor Granholm to protect Michigan's water from raw sewage and polluted stormwater.  Click here to sign the petition: http://action.sierraclub.org/Protect_Great_Lakes

While pollution from sewage pipes and industries is regulated, polluted runoff or nonpoint source pollution is not.  Pollution from these diffused sources contributes up to 60 percent of pollution in the nation's waterways, yet there is little in terms of regulatory mechanisms to reduce this pollution.  Polluted runoff comes from urban developed areas, construction sites, city streets, parking lots and from rural farm fields.  Runoff from these areas contains toxins, such as pesticides, herbicides, metals, and other contaminants.  It also contains nutrients, such as phosphorus from lawn and farm fertilizers, which cause algal blooms.

The good news is we have solutions to solve these problems.  Green infrastructure is a cost-effective approach to water management that protects, restores, or mimics the natural water cycle.  After you sign this petition, we will direct you to Sierra Club's "Citizen's Guide to Protecting the Great Lakes" where you can find specific actions you can take to protect our Lakes from pollution.  These actions include installing a rain barrel, creating rain gardens, using phosphorus-free fertilizer, and many more.

Thanks for your help in protecting the Great Lakes for future generations!

Melissa Damaschke
Sierra Club Great Lakes Representative

S.W.A.G. Jigs And Custom Paints.

Skulley

............and isn't the federally mandated Clean Water Act supposed to take care of issues like this anyway???  Why is it necessary to write more laws when the ones already in the books should take care of these issues.  This is getting to be just like gun laws.  There are over 50000 of those on the books.  Enforce the ones you have and then no more have to be written.

BD           ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Slipkey

"Green" projects, which this petition should have provided examples of, consitute actions like planting and creation of natural barriers to allow storm runoff to filter more naturally into the water systems (and prevent sudden surges of stormwater which max out sewage treatment facilities), biodigesters to allow for the conversion municipal and agricultural sewage to energy (example), among others.    Worthwhile stuff, IMHO.

Unfortunately the Clean Water Act has been popped full of loopholes by special interests that allow for industry-specific exemptions.  For example, in 2005 a loophole was inserted which removed the requirement for EPA discharge permits by Factory Farms.  Here's an example of the result from the Lake Erie watershed Southeast Michigan: link.

Short of the time-consuming process of systematically removing these loopholes legislatively, these projects can help offset some of that damage in the near-term.  The Sierra Club is considered by many to be a "left-wing organization" and, as such, they get instant resistance from some.  They are fighting the good fight on this one, though.

Skulley

The Sierra Club is against Second Amendment Rights.   >:(  They can have my firearms when they pry them from my cold dead fingers.  I don't support anything they do based on that.  Sierra Club is a joke.  They like to watch birds.  I like to shoot them and eat them.  They lobbyed hard in Lansing against the Dove Hunting Bill and won.  Not enough hunters got out to vote this in and the fishermen who don't hunt didn't support us.  You can put them in the same catagory as The Humane Society of America and the People For the Ethical Treatment of Animals.  I personally like the other PETA......People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.  We have to be careful who we support.  They may want more fish but that doesn't mean they want more fishing.  Not all Conservation Clubs are good.  Just my three cents on Conservation Clubs.  Hunting and Fishing Clubs with Conservation Committees is who we                        should support as Sportsmen.  This is pretty straight forward in my mind.  These types of club use Conservation to enhance the sports of hunting and fishing.  That is what is needed.

I agree that we as bassfisherman should push our clubs that are affiliated with bigger clubs namely B.A.S.S. and FLW.  That being said we should be able to suggest to these Mother Clubs, how to use our membership dues.  In other words, I want part of my dues that I pay go to lobbying for bass friendly legislation.  We need the mother organizations behind us or you can probably forget it.  If they don't have lobbyists trying to convince our Congressmen and Senators in D.C., it just won't get done.  And that is ashame.   :'(

There are a lot of people that just talk.  Get on the government website and contact your Congressmen and Senators.  I contact Thaddeus McCotter my United States Congressman three to five times a week concerning issues.  I have also contacted Stabenow and Levin three to five times a week on the same issues.  The issues are from Conservation, to the Economy, as well as our Constitutional rights as Americans, and most importantly lately, Jobs.  I can't be the only one doing this. We all have to speak up.  Write to them with your concerns.  Heck they make it easy by just clicking on a link.  Google their names and you'll find their websites.  They all have websites.  Gripe all you want here but if you don't contact them, it isn't going to get done and your just blowing smoke.

BD         ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Slipkey

BigDog, where's your info on 2nd Amendment positions and the Sierra Club coming from? Just curious. I've not seen that and, from what I've seen in the past, they've made a conscious choice to steer clear of that subject.  If they really have moved into an anti-hunting/anti-gun stance, I'd steer clear of them too.

Regardless, I agree with much of what you and ebond say.  I just think that, in this case, we, the sportsmen, and they are natural allies and I'd be OK advocating alongside them on behalf of that cause (providing they are not also in opposition to my beliefs) as a result. Just my two cents. :)

P.S. - Someone should really move this post to the "Conservation, Ecology, Legislation & Regulations" board as it doesn't really belong in this board.  :-\'

csfishslayer

Thank you guy for all the input. I got this email and never really new much about this group so. I fig I would post and see what people replied. Good call UAW I will stay far far away from anyone that wants to take my Gun rights away.
S.W.A.G. Jigs And Custom Paints.

djkimmel

Discussion can always be helpful in the end. One way or the other. I left this on the general board for a while to see what would happen since conservation and legislation have always been of great interest to me. I'll move it to the conservation board now.

Sometimes, some issues may be great enough to justify some strange partnerships. And sometimes not. For sure, anglers and hunters need to be more knowledgeable and get more involved on a more consistent basis. Additionally, we will usually need some type of partners to be largely effective.

A big part of why I started this site was to have more information on issues available to more persons. I do have further plans for conservation and activism for those interested.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

The NRA has come out many times over the years and explained the Sierra Clubs hidden agenda.  It always seems to come out during election time.  As a lifetime NRA member I get their magazine "Americas First Freedom".  This publication has had many articles about them being anti-second amendment.  Also, the Michigan Coalition for Gun Rights has had articles about it in their publications.

BD           ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Slipkey

Ah.  The Sierra Club did respond to that allegation:  link and the Outdoor Writers Association of America also send them a strong reply refuting that assertion: link.   :)

MadWags

Life member of the NRA myself.
FAMILY FREEDOM AND FIREARMS!

I always vote Right to Life, Right to Keep and Bear Arms and my Faith.

I must be one of those Right Wing Extremists (Who the new HLS director likes to call terrorists, in lue of the Radical Islamists)

Guess I am just clinging.
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

Mojo

Quote from: UAWBigDog on April 18, 2009, 05:05:28 PM
The Sierra Club is against Second Amendment Rights....  They like to watch birds.  I like to shoot them and eat them....  I personally like the other PETA......People for the Eating of Tasty Animals.  We have to be careful who we support.... Gripe all you want here but if you don't contact them, it isn't going to get done and your just blowing smoke.

BD         ;D

Well said BD  (and hilarious lol )  ;D  ;D. It kinda makes sense Seirra club touts this bill, but very tough to support them even if they are going to indirectly improve our fishing.

PS:

Sounds like between the weed kill issue, the Catch and Release date change issue and the Sewage Runoff issue, the TBF Conservation team may be getting their top 5 list ready for 2009 !!
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Skulley

Go for it Mojo!!!!  Seems to me you have 3 of the 5 issues for your top 5.  You have my never-waivering support.........and I like what Madwags says......Family   Freedom   Firearms!!!!! 

BD         ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com