Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:22:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

More on So You Want to be a Tournament Angler

Started by djkimmel, February 28, 2009, 03:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

You never know... best is to keep swinging away and every time you don't hit it out of the park, try to figure out adjustments to make for the next time.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

joshimoto son

Quote from: motocross269 on March 05, 2009, 09:35:23 PM
I would be happy to win a BFL on the Boaters side....   ;D
I don't even have enough stick to do that yet....

From one "Moto' to another.
Just because you can't beet the guys that have been treking these waters for almost as long as we have been alive, doesn't mean you can't go out there and do well in a circuit that expands above the current level you're fishing at.

Here's my theory, I hope it works, because this is what I'm banking on.

It is quite possible to spend LARGE amounts of time and money learning to fish your local waters to the point you're finishing toward the top on a consitant basis.
Then what?  Now you're ready to take it to the next level and continue your success? Who says?

I know you haven't always been a Michigander, but for example, let's say you were. Let's say you were
a big stick here and was moving onto a Stren Series or Bassmaster Open.

Did what you learned up here teach you how to locate fish on southern impoundent?
Did it teach you how to put together a "milk run" when fishing tidal waters.
Did you know the tide swings two times a day on the eastern sea board and only once a day on the southern.
Did you know a lot of anglers outside the Upper Midwest start drooling when they see a grass flat that looks nearly impenetrable.
I can't even begin to list all the things I've learned.

If I remember right, I think you actually do know a lot of that stuff based on your background.

I'm not writing to get any feathers ruffled up, please don't take it that way. I just remember so many people warning me about how I'm "not ready"
even as a co-angler to leave my own state and fish a Bassmasters Open or Stren Event because of how I've been finishing here.

If I would have listened to that convention of thinking, I would have missed out on a bunch of events people only dream of.

Yes! I'm saying there's a chance.

Don't wait if you can afford to go bigger. I promise, it will make you a better angler, "Richer"? Well that's a whole other story.

joshimoto son ;D

motocross269

You are right Joshi"moto"...I have fished with some guys that fish the FLW Tour from the back of the boat..The skills that they have gained fishing down south really show up when Pitching, flipping and fishing away from the "big water"...

Got Fish??

Well done. But dosen't every one wish thay were a star pro football player, or a great race car driver. I think the passion of being the best at something you love is the american dream. We all need to have some kind of release, that lets us forget the everyday stresses in our lives. I think profishing  has made this sport what it is today. So I say if that's what makes you smile, Don't give up the ship!

Skulley

Quote from: Got Fish?? on March 06, 2009, 10:54:57 PM
  Well done. But dosen't every one wish thay were a star pro football player, or a great race car driver. I think the passion of being the best at something you love is the american dream. We all need to have some kind of release, that lets us forget the everyday stresses in our lives. I think profishing  has made this sport what it is today. So I say if that's what makes you smile, Don't give up the ship!

That was beautifully said Got Fish??  I think I'm going to cry......... :'( :'( :'(  I could hear the Star-Spangled Banner playing in the background.   ;)

BD                      ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

1javelin

My year will be spent practicing all the time, with no tournaments thrown in, because hopefully this time next year I will be living South of the ice belt and fishing Stren Series events.  Maybe not, but if I can pay off the bills and have cash to spare, I am friendly enough and determined enough to get a little help.  I mentioned this on another site and was shot down by most saying unless you can whip on the sticks here you'll get pounded everywhere else.  Seems that when I fished Ouachita, the first time I fished an impoundement like that, I was fun fishing and catching around 15 pounds a day.  The tournament I didn't enter because I wasn't 'good enough' was won with somewhere around 18 pounds if I remember right.  I probably could've upgraded a little and put some run to that, but that would mean everyone else was wrong :o :o 8)  Give it a go if you can afford it and see what happens.  Practice wins tournaments, not always money.

1Jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

jgip087

Read a few more of the threads and talked to a few more Elite series guys so I can add a little bit more. Those guys last year were spending around 100 grand just to fish those tournaments. Next, the money was great for a select few but...but... for the average Elite Series angler not so! Those guys were hardly getting by and some had to take loans, mortgage houses, ETC just to pay the entry fees. Money is hard to come by and even few elite series anglers get a boat to fish out of for the year from a company. If they don't sell those boats then guess what? They are stuck with it and if they want to stay on the pro staff they have to buy another one.
www.sure-life.com - please help ensure the
survival of your catch
www.poorboysbaits.com

djkimmel

Quote from: 1javelin on March 10, 2009, 01:35:15 PM
My year will be spent practicing all the time, with no tournaments thrown in, because hopefully this time next year I will be living South of the ice belt and fishing Stren Series events.  Maybe not, but if I can pay off the bills and have cash to spare, I am friendly enough and determined enough to get a little help.  I mentioned this on another site and was shot down by most saying unless you can whip on the sticks here you'll get pounded everywhere else.  Seems that when I fished Ouachita, the first time I fished an impoundement like that, I was fun fishing and catching around 15 pounds a day.  The tournament I didn't enter because I wasn't 'good enough' was won with somewhere around 18 pounds if I remember right.  I probably could've upgraded a little and put some run to that, but that would mean everyone else was wrong :o :o 8)  Give it a go if you can afford it and see what happens.  Practice wins tournaments, not always money.

1Jav

1st - you have to believe in yourself. You don't need anyone else for that although support from others is nice. There's a lot of general advice out there, but that doesn't always apply to everyone the same. Josh made some good points about that somewhere on here.

I've met a few tournament anglers most of us have never heard from that make an okay living by tournaments by doing it the way it works for them. My purpose isn't to shoot anyone down - there will always be some people out there taking that job - but to make sure people I like have a lot of information available so they can make informed decisions.

I get a fair amount of "I want to be a bass pro" email and I think it is best if I tell it like it is up front. It isn't easy at all for most people, but it can be done by people with a well thought out plan of financial planning, solid skills, a great work ethic and a lot of the right knowledge. A little luck is nice too.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Fishmael

Also I have heard (and it makes complete sense), if you think you're going to pick up sponsors, you'd better realize that image is very important.  You have to be clean cut, don't be wearing unkempt clothes when in the public eye, don't curse, etc.  Sponsors want someone to represent their company and fishing ability is important, but not everything.  I guess I have everything but the fishing ability.  Guess I'd better check e-bay.

Got Fish??

Well I'm glad I jerked a tear from ya BD. Nice to see a sentamental angler who's not afrade to cry over spilling his capton crunch in the morning. see out on the lake.

Skulley

You got to catch fish over 14 inches in order to compete Got Fish??.  You are the only guy I know that is happy catching 13 inch fish all the time.  If I have told you once, I have told you a hundred times......fishing for numbers and 13 inch fish is great when you got the kids with you, but when you are fishing on my boat, it's keepers and the bigger the better.     8)

BD             ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com