Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:10:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

2009 Regional

Started by dashaver63, October 21, 2008, 04:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dashaver63

Yep, you guessed it, the regional for the Michigan Division next year is back at Fort Madison. Thats according to the FLW website. I enjoyed my trip there last year. I'm thinking I might just try to fish 4 (not Cheboygan) next year to try to qualify to get back there.

Jighead

;D ;D ;D

That's great news!  Call me crazy, but I really enjoy fishing there.    I haven't done well come tournament days, but I welcome the chance to try it again.  It's one of those rare places that leaves me wanting to fish it more rather than go home at the end of a bad tournament.  I can't wait to get back there.

It will be interesting to see how much the flooding this year changed the log jams and downed trees in the Burlington area.  I'm sure things will look a little different next time around.
www.YUM3x.com
www.BooyahBaits.com
www.XCaliburTackle.com
www.BomberLures.com
www.SilverThread.com

skeeterman190

Ive never seen the place in my life and have no knowledge about it but im fishing the whole BFL circut next year so im gonna look into it. but i feel alot better about my chances there then the reports i heard from Cherokee. I knew those guys were in for a surprise! I had talked to a guy and he told me that lake would be 20' low! My good friend TCOOK informed me i was right. I heard about all the painful days down there, resevoirs are a bummer!!Come on river fishing and big bucketheads shallow im already pumped!!!-skeeterman- (they should have a regional up our way.BURT MULLET. Heck id go with Vermillion or something like that!)yeah its cold but man do the fish bite!
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Stretch MFD

I would rather go back to Cherokee than go back to the Ole Miss.  Cherokee was challanging, but I really enjoyed myself down there.  I might even go back next year just for a fun trip.

Larry

skeeterman190

I wasnt there so i cant speak too much but i was informed everyday what was going on! im sure its a good fishery!  ill take the ole miss anyday over what i heard! I was told i could prolly catch fish there but??  It sounded tough! I think with fresh vegetation and some kinda pattern(other then bluff banks w/buzzbaits and floating docks) we could all compete.-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

tubejig

I got to pre-fish with the hopes competing. I wasn't on a ton of fish but thought I could put together about 10 pounds a day were I was fishing. On the day of the meeting I went out in the morning to check a few more spots and blew my power head. It was beautiful place to fish and the people in Tennessee were very nice, but it was a long drive for a free Ranger hat. I guess I'm happy to have made it considering something went wrong motor wise for me at every tournament this year. To hear we're going back to Fort Madison next year kind of stinks. I would love to be going to Kentucky Lake or some place like that. I also wish we went some place other than the same old big water over and over. Looks like I'm going to need all winter to fix my stuff. Looking forward for deer hunting and then spring!!! ;D Take care!

Jeremy

Dan

I have a Cherokee Lake article just about ready to post on my teardropbass.com website. I'm out in Lake Tahoe. I flew in yesterday to visit my son. I don't have my laptop but am using his PC. Hopefully, he can get my files I brought off my iPod so that I can edit the article and post it while I'm here. I printed a paper copy of the article and edited it on the plane so it's pretty close to going up.
As you'll read in the article I probably won't fish another regional. The cost/reward ratio is just too steep. You should have a week to prefish and then you're shaking the dice. Spending all that money to travel is just not cost effective for me. I'm thinking more of cutting my tournament activities way back. I have a truck camper I bought just so I could pull my boat and fish some waters I've always wanted to fish. I am going to do more fun fishing that way next year.
With all the fabled bass water around why come up with Regional Lakes like Cherokee and Fort Madison which aren't totally obscure lakes, but they're not in the top ten bass lakes that people talk about. What's wrong with Kentucky Lake, Dale Hollow, Wheeler, Guntersvilee, Pickwick, Erie, Thousand Islands, and the list could go on. I see there are those who like Ft. Madison, but again if I'm going to spend considerable dollars, and then hope to draw a good boater, I'd at least like to be on some fabled bass waters. If I were younger and had the dream of becoming a tournament angler maybe Ft. Madison would be a test. I'm not and it isn't. Just my opinion and it doesn't count for much.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

dashaver63

The thing about Fort Madison that I really liked was that it was some of the best frog fishing I have ever had. The down side to it was that once you get out of the main river channel, you have about 3 or 4 feet of water, and that stretches for hundreds of yards, if not more. No real shore cover with deep water adjacent that would hold any kinds of numbers, accept for the biggest pad field I have ever seen. I just have to wander how the flooding this past summer there affected it.

Flippin222

It's hard saying what will happen with the flooding. I mean the river floods out every year, but not quite like this past year.

I have been told that the year after the flood of '93 the fishing was terrible and it took several years to begin to make a comeback.
Don't sweat the petty things; Don't pet the sweaty things

skeeterman190

Well lets hope that isnt the case in 09 after the flood. the fish are there somewhere! they dont just dissapear. well sometimes i think they do! pad fields huh?? sounds like frog Nirvana. Dan i completely understand what your saying. me myself i am a young angler(25) and have dreams of never going to my job ever again..(if i had one right now!) its a long tough road to go down but it is possible! money is the ruler of all-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Jighead

Quote from: Flippin222 on October 30, 2008, 05:56:08 PM
It's hard saying what will happen with the flooding. I mean the river floods out every year, but not quite like this past year.

I have been told that the year after the flood of '93 the fishing was terrible and it took several years to begin to make a comeback.
The nice thing about next year is that the Elite's and the Stren will be there in '09 and should do a good job of re-stocking the Fort Madison area  ;D
www.YUM3x.com
www.BooyahBaits.com
www.XCaliburTackle.com
www.BomberLures.com
www.SilverThread.com