Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 08:31:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Big Rapids Area - Hardy 8-20?

Started by Bender, August 11, 2008, 11:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bender

I am up in this area for work a lot and would like some information on area lakes. I have not brought my boat up here yet but I might sometime. Right now I would like to know if there is anywhere with decent shore fishing areas. I went to Hardy Pond the other day but there was not much shoreline without 50'+ cliffs.
Or if anybody lives in the area and has an open seat I will buy the gas.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Eric

I am not much of a shore fish fishing guru, but these are areas I can think of you could readily shorefish.

On Hardy, the Baseline Rd (M-20 also) bridge offers lots of riprap that hold LM SM pike, walleye CARP, etc.  Brower park has a good riprap section along the river, as well as a couple of bays that will hold fish.  Sandy beach also has a riprap bank and some dock weeds.  THe dam itself has rocks and weeds, and is where I caught my biggest Hardy smallie.  Right below Rogers dam offers smallies and walleyes.

Above Rogers dam is a shore fishing park with a dock and boardwalk like thing that gives up fish.  Not sure what all kinds, I assume bass and walleye.

How long are you in the area?  I live 25 minutes or so to the SE.  Tons of awesome lakes down here.  I am pretty booked for this week and next, but might be able to squeeze in a trip.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

Bender

I'm probably headed home this evening, maybe tomorrow. I've spent at least 3-4 weeks up here this year combined and get bored sitting in the hotel or working late since there is nothing else to do.
I'll check out those spots next time I get a chance, thanks. I drive home across M20 and the back roads and see a lot of lakes, Horsehead, Chippewa, Martiny, Blue, Mecosta, etc. So maybe it is worth the 13 MPG I get to tow the boat up here sometime.  :D
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Eric

I don't know much about Horsehead, but the others I know very well.  And they fish very well.  Let me know next time you are coming, and we'll be sure to hook up.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

Bender

Thanks again, I was stuck up here last night and went down to Roger's after work. On the opposite side of the dam from the fishing pier there is a Consumer's Energy public fishing area with trails all along the shore. I tried down the river a bit and got bit off twice and then went on the lake side and had 3 smallies on. 2 I lost in the weeds by the shore and I got one in. It is definitely more difficult landing fish from shore than in a boat. There were a ton of fish surfacing at dusk and I missed several more so I think I will go back there again.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Bender

anybody want to ride along on Hardy this evening? Maybe tomorrow too?
If not any tips? I can't find a map of the lake anywhere.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

fish hound

I'd go tomorrow night.  wouldn't be able to get up there till 5-5:30, but I know the river pretty well.  I would rather bring my boat, but either way, Send me a PM if interested, and we'll set something up. 

Bender

Thanks again fish hound for going out there! There are some great fish in that big body of water. It sure is a lot different fishing a place like that. If you are ever on the east side of the state and want to fish let me know.
Here is my big one from the past couple of evenings out there:

- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Northern Bass Bum

Does that say 22"?

Nice fish, Chris!

-NBB  :)
Bass Fishing... What can I say, I'm hooked!

Bender

- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

thedude

that fish has a tell-tale color to it... i bet i can guess where abouts you caught it on hardy.

nice one!
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

csfishslayer

S.W.A.G. Jigs And Custom Paints.

fish hound

No problem Bender, I had a good time.  Kinda sucks about your DS rod, hopefully you got to Cabelas today and they had a replacement for ya.   If you get back up this way, give me a shout, theres a ton of good water we never saw.