Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:27:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

BASS vs MLF

Started by djkimmel, September 29, 2018, 12:08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

So what does everyone think of this recent rash of announcements from B.A.S.S. Elite Anglers who are flipping over to fish the new MLF BPT circuit in 2019 instead? I just started seeing some of it on the social media posts. Didn't realize it was happening so much already when there's not much public information available yet on how the new MLF BPT will work exactly.

I notice people saying KVD hasn't announced yet but he was in the news picture announcing the circuit with Johnny Morris and one of the executives from MLF. With his ties to BPS and Morris you'd think he pretty much has to make the move even though he has been an outspoken, ardent supporter of B.A.S.S. for his whole career?

I admit I haven't looked yet to see if a similar movement is happening with any FLW Tour anglers.

Noticed Jonathon VanDam made a statement he is going with MLF while Chad Pipkens appears to be staying with the Elite Series as far as the other Michigan pros go.

Also wonder if the MLF BPT will work and last? The pros themselves tried variations of this more than once with the PAA being the closest they came, and PAA never really reached full sale finally fading away into history not too long ago. All these years and many of their plans never really happened. Do they finally have the backing, support and structure to make this version of their ideas work? It is somewhat different in that the pros don't actually own or are making 100% of the decision with the MLF.

What do you think? What do you expect? Are you looking forward to the MLF BPT? Do you think pro bass fishing will take another step in the right direction with 3 major tours, or maybe you think one of them will end up failing because 3 is too many? So many questions?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

People used to think I was an 'FLW lover' (some probably still do) but I've always been a bass fishing lover, and I would like to see the idea of being a professional bass angler become more possible and realistic.

I started down that road a long time ago and didn't go very far. It's brutally tough and expensive, and still, decades in the future, far too rare and limited I think. It seems like the sport should be stronger with more opportunities. Though someone I know recently explained to me how it should not be surprising to anyone the sport of professional bass fishing is so much tinier and limited compared to other professional sports.

What I always appreciated about FLW was their more clear stepping stone path from beginner to pro angler they set up with the BFL, various Series and then the Tour, along with the co-angler concept. Bringing more support from nonendemic sponsors in bass fishing at the time was a huge thing as well.

FLW really upped the anty on paybacks in a big way as paybacks, to me, seemed to be 20-30 years behind the rest of the economy with no signs of catching up any time soon (if ever) before FLW brought the idea of regular events paying $100,000 to the winner and the Million$ championship. The entire sport jumped ahead about 10-20 years overnight which I felt was good for the anglers at least.

Not everything has lasted and some adjustments even down have happened but overall the sport is better off for that jolt to have occurred. I can't imagine the sport being where it is right now if that competition hadn't happened.

So, I'm hoping maybe this new 'jolt' with the MLF Bass Pro Tour will have similar overall positive changes for the anglers. I expect some of what we are already seeing with a little anger, online debating about whose circuit is best and angler 'loyalty.' It happened then as well. I expect even the MLF BPT will be different in a few years as everything works itself out but hopefully the end result is some real improvements again for the anglers. An increase in the opportunity to become a pro angler would be nice.

I have always recognized B.A.S.S. is the first one, the rock, the one that really started it all, but change happens. No matter what. We all have to change with it, or get rolled over in the process like natural selection and evolution. That's reality. I hope all 3 major circuits end up evolving however they need to keep the opportunity that is there now, and add some new opportunity. I want to see the sport grow and recognize that change in the form of competition is often needed in our society for things to evolve faster into better versions.

I don't always like the change either but I can see without these kinds of jolts the end result is often worse - stagnancy - a lack of growth or improvements. The road to where we are in bass tournament fishing today is lined with extinct groups and organizations. Probably better to get the occasional hard push faster and further up the road than risk fading away and becoming another used-to-be because you weren't innovating or changing enough. Seems like humans need competition to thrive in the long run.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Okay, while I was writing this and thinking about it KVD did make his announcement. Not surprised though it has to be somewhat surreal after spending his entire professional career up to this point with B.A.S.S. He's been such an ardent supporter of them. This can't be easy for anyone right now especially with his good buddy Zona being so heavily involved with B.A.S.S.

t-bone

MLF has the momentum and is using it's TV programs to it's advantage. The other OLD formats are on their heels. The disadvantage is the format doesn't work for anything other than TV and they won't have a feeder system other than BASS and FLW.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

fiker

I wonder how this will play out with sponsorships. There's only so much money to go around.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

detroit1

I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out....
WAVE THERAPY

dartag

80 of the top guys basically quit there jobs at FLW and BASS to go to BPT.  Shows ya they must have been very unhappy with there current situation.   Going to be interesting. 

TheFishinPollock

I think its  a good format if you are into weighing every fish over a pound you catch. Some of their rules I read are just not good to me. The fish hitting the carpet penalty, what happens if he shakes in your hand and you drop him. That's an accident and should not be a penalty to me. The worst rule I saw on their site was if you break off a fish its a weight penalty. Come on, that one is just flat out stupid. No one can predict if your line will break.  For me, if I'm paying to fish. I want to see the best 5 a person can muster in a day. Not every dink they come across.
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

fiker

I do like most of the penalties.
It seems they are written with caring for the fish in mind. Dropping fish on the carpet removes some of the protective slime coat.
Releasing the fish correctly ensures a greater chance of survival. 
The broken line rule forces anglers to use good line, tie good knots, and retie often. 
Nothing is 100% but its a good move in the right direction to have the penalties.
I'm really in favor of the almost immediate release.  I've never been in favor of hauling larger older fish around in a live well for hours, especially on hot summer days.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Team houston

What I like most about it, is seeing the thought process of trying to figure out what to do. Also the pressure they feel when they start falling behind.