Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:34:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

2009 MI BFL will start at Mullett Lake

Started by djkimmel, June 10, 2008, 01:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motocross269

One other side note..I was looking at the results from Burt and Mullet..And one other thing that was outstanding about Chad Pipkens win is that he worked with his Co Angler Cody Harris to ensure that he had a big bag also...18lbs...Great job to both of them..

j690

will the tbf state fish off be there again ?

djkimmel

Jcox7... I'm going to take away your pot-stirring stick!!!! Seriously, there's no need to downplay anyone's comments. We all have thoughts running through our heads that are perfectly valid from our various points of view... and often common all over the tournament fishing world.

I like having a largemouth/smallmouth water on the schedule too that isn't smallmouth dominated. I expect we may get back to that. Especially if we provide input in numbers to the right person - our tournament director. He really does listen to our input and he WANTS our input. WHEN HE CAN, he will act on it.

Since he works for a large organization that has many tournaments in many regions in many levels, he can't always do whatever he wants. He does listen and consider though, I promise. I recently was contacted by a major city in Michigan that is dying to host a big tournament. Big enough to attract FLW's attention. Problem is, they don't have any water or facilities big enough nearby to host a 100+ boat event. Oh well... we did discuss a few wild options anyway.

The point is, FLW will try to get where they seem to get the most numbers, least complaints and don't mess up their other schedules and directors at the same time.

Matt - sorry I was tuckered at the end of Saturday and totally missed your excellent finish - congratulations!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Quote from: motocross269 on June 25, 2008, 06:27:13 PM
One other side note..I was looking at the results from Burt and Mullet..And one other thing that was outstanding about Chad Pipkens win is that he worked with his Co Angler Cody Harris to ensure that he had a big bag also...18lbs...Great job to both of them..

I noticed that too and thought it was very nice.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Quote from: j690 on June 25, 2008, 06:38:14 PM
will the tbf state fish off be there again ?

We won't make that decision until this fall. We had a brief follow up discussion and only the most preliminary discussion about next year with FLW staff. I do think it was more beneficial to both organizations for participation, and the anglers overall as far as time and cost. It will be considered. It also takes both parties to agree before it happens and I don't expect FLW to make their decision right away either.

djkimmel

Maybe next year... you'll let me catch a 7-pounder?!?

skeeterman190

Hey this is an old post but i havent had time to get on here so i wanna chime in on this. I fished as a boater got my but spanked cause im an idiot but oh well!!! I WONT HAVE 5.5lbs next year bet on that! It was an education at the least for me up there! I relied to much on buddy relayed info and not enough on my own instinct! I would love to see at least one largemouth tourney put into the schedule. for those of you that know me thats my game and in my mind im DAM@ good at it. but if i wanna make something of fishing and justify spending all this money i better step up my game on the smallies! ill see you all at sandusky smallies or not ill be there! maybe i can find a bag of bucketheads somewhere there~!-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

dashaver63

I hate to burst your bubble, my club just had a tournament on Erie last Sat. 5 of us had bags over 15lbs. with the winner having just over 17lbs. (all largies). You just have to know where to look. I like catching smallies as much as anyone, but there is nothing like pulling a 5lb largemouth out of thick, nasty, heavy cover.

djkimmel

Rumor has it, there's a few really good largemouth holes there too!! Of course, not good enough to beat those huge smallies if everyone can get out...

dashaver63

Not at all Ebond, problem with western basin smallmouth in Ohio waters is that they are difficult to come by after they spawn. I would rather be able to make the long run to Canada the chase smallies too. I know that even the biggest of bags of largemouth won't WIN the tournament, all I saying is the fish are there to be competitive. And I don't think you are a smallmouth snob, just someone that knows what it would take to win the tournament and is not fishing for second. All or nothing. I'm just hoping that if the weather gets bad, that it doesn't get bad enough to lock us in Sandusky Bay. That would be ugly.

djkimmel

Some day I'm heading over there just to target largemouths for fun in some of the mysterious places I've hear rumors about. I have caught some decent ones in Sandusky Bay when I just couldn't make myself go screaming by Cedar Pt, but I haven't ventured out much other than Port Clinton into the river, the Vermilion River and another farther East - one of the Black, I think??

All I remember for sure about that day was it was so rough out on Erie that some of the frieghters anchored out in the lake for safety, there were more vultures in trees than I've ever seen and I think I found the great lost ball graveyard of fables - I think we saw every kind of sports ball that exist floating in the water in vast numbers... footballs, soccer balls, volley balls, basketballs, softballs and more floating EVERYWHERE... weird!?!

dashaver63

Yes Dan, thats the Black River East of Vermillion. Some of the best largemouth fishing though is right next to Sandusky Bay, in East and West Harbor. The Portage River in Port Clinton can be O.K. but you have to share water with the Jet Express. But the best largemouth comes from various weed beds on Erie herself.

djkimmel

I've been in Port Clinton. It was so-so. I've done respectable in the back of Sandusky Bay. I have not made it to the Harbors, but I've been told about them for years and years, and keep thinking 'I've got to get there' but haven't made it yet.

I know nothing about the weedbeds in Erie. I think you just gave out a valuable clue! I will have to think about that some...

dashaver63

Dan, Sandusky Bay is not even close to being the fishery it used to be. East Harbor and West Harbor is where it's at. One of the best weed beds on Erie can be found out around Perry's Monument. Other weedbeds close around Marble Head and Catawaba Island are very good also. I have no problem giving these "clues" out, I just like to see responsible C&R bass hunters go out and have a good time and discover just how good Lake Erie's largemouth population can be. I'll help any way I can, and I'm not implying that greenfish can win out there, but you'll have fun with them.

josh617

one of these days those green fish are going to be able to win a tournament on Erie. I know some people may think its crazy, but i m sure many people thought the same way on champlain until 20+ bags of largies came rolling in. The last couple of years the largies have had some awesome spawns and the grass is continuing to expand. give it some more time but they re only gonna get bigger.

dashaver63

The thing about those Erie largemouth is that they are dependable. Smallmouth in Ohio tend to scatter and disapear after the spawn. Plus there are so many sheepshead out there that it's hard to tell sometimes if there are smallies in the area. If I had to stay in Ohio waters for a tournament in July/August, I will be targeting largemouth.