Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:14:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

2009 MI BFL will start at Mullett Lake

Started by djkimmel, June 10, 2008, 01:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

SEE UPDATE BELOW - THIS IS NO LONGER ACCURATE - djk 6/24/08 Confirmed with Anthony Wright that the Michigan BFL will start next year at Lake Charlevoix instead of Mullett Lake. FLW Outdoors wants to give those giant Mullett and Burt Lake bass a break for a year. And check out the giants over on Charlevoix too!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

I think that is a good call.......Something different..

MBell

I heard the same as well.  However I also heard that they are returning to Burt/Mullet for 2010.  Charlevoix can be even better if we hit it right.  Will lake michigan be open since there is no lock?  I'm assuming it would be.
-Matt

djkimmel

Yes, Anthony did confirm we'd be back to Mullett in 2010. I hope Aloha SP works with us as well again.

I know I will have no reason to ask about making Lake Michigan off limits since it is open. The MDNR has no issues at this time, so it will most likely be open barring small craft warnings.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dashaver63

I was going to make this my last season fishing all 5, but might have to rethink things now. How does Charlevoix fish in June? Will it be another bed tournament?

MBell

Same type of fishing with way more fish.  It will be easier fishing as far as numbers go.  I could see a jerkbait bite competing with the bed bite.  Burt/Mullet put up great weights but it can be a difficult place to fish, it's not easy you really have to have confidence and know what to look for.  Charlevoix will be easier on a lot of guys.  It will be a more expensive trip though, I did Burt/Mullet this year for what I consider cheap.
-Matt

dashaver63

That could be interesting. I know the boaters have alot more invested in these tournaments, and I'm in no way complaining about it, but sitting in the back of the boat watching the boater pull fish off beds gets a little frustrating after a while. I threw a jerkbait so much last Saturday, my wrist is still stiff. I did get my fish, and worked my tail off for it, which is all I was hoping for.

djkimmel

Well, there's plenty of time for things to change, but why wait?!? I confirmed today that FLW Outdoors has decided to go back to Mullett Lake and Aloha State Park in 2009 after all.

Cheboygan wants us back bad and the awesome Michigan Department of Natural Resources staff are making even further accommodations so we can have another great event. In addition, the same wonderful people from Cheboygan are going to feed us not just Friday at the pre-tournament meeting, but ALSO SATURDAY at the huge (expected) weigh in! Just too good to turn down so back to Burt and Mullett we go for 2009.

Lake Charlevoix is a very good fishery, but you need to go to the great fisheries that throw out the red carpet like Cheboygan does. I thought this year went very well. Next year should be better.

djkimmel

motocross269

I am a little dissappointed only because I was hoping a change may throw off some of the hotshot sticks up there that have the bedding areas memorized like the back of their hands...But it hard to complain about the opportunity to fish a lake where 27lbs won it...
It's all good...

TCook

I dont think charlevoix would of been a bad choice for 09. A week before the BFL on Burt/Mullett it took 27.18 to win on charlevoix and 26.59 took second. This was only an 11 boat BAU tournament too. Maybe a change of scenery would of been the right move when looking at the results of the past 3 tournaments. Although the same guys will likley be on top there as well, from what I understand its a similar deal. Not to mention taking some stress off the spawn at Burt and Mullett for one year might be a good idea.

T
FISH HARD!!!

dashaver63

Hopefully maybe next year we can have a somewhat normal spring and catch a full blown spawn. I just hate the 6 hour drive. It is an amazing fishery, how many times do you see an inland lake outside of Falcon give up a 27lb. bag, or even a 26lb. bag to finish SECOND! I guess I'll just have to win that Ranger at the Regional and go as a boater next year!   LOL

MBell

Quote from: motocross269 on June 24, 2008, 07:58:58 PM
I am a little dissappointed only because I was hoping a change may throw off some of the hotshot sticks up there that have the bedding areas memorized like the back of their hands...But it hard to complain about the opportunity to fish a lake where 27lbs won it...
It's all good...
Charlevoix would have been good fishing but no way the accomodations would have been as good, way more expensive.  Don't let those burt/mullet guys get in your head, I've only fished the lake 5 days in my life and took 5th this year.  It probobly would have been the same guys at charlevoix anyway, it's all bed fishing. 
-Matt 

motocross269

True.... those guys are good on all the smallie lakes up there...
I had to cut back a little this year so I am only fishing the last three BFLs...Next year I plan on doing the whole series again.
There is a ton of Camping and reasonably priced motels at Burt and Mullet..So no complaints there...I have been looking at motels in the Charlevoix area for a Team Bass tourney and everthing there is limited or a little pricey....

djkimmel

We often stayed down the south arm in East Jordan. Better pricing in the past and more angler friendly. Been a while though.

jcox7

Sometimes reading this stuff is funny Same people always at the top come on Chad caught 27 lbs to win last year he only caught 3 fish. Trevor came in second and didnt fish last year, Matt came in fifth and he didnt last year,  Sure Hardy does well every year but no matter where you fish this is going to happen (ie) see Clapper Balog Trombly......

If you dont think that you can find the winning bag it is simple dont complain just dont try.

motocross269

Quote from: jcox7 on June 25, 2008, 10:25:54 AM
Sometimes reading this stuff is funny Same people always at the top come on Chad caught 27 lbs to win last year he only caught 3 fish. Trevor came in second and didnt fish last year, Matt came in fifth and he didnt last year,  Sure Hardy does well every year but no matter where you fish this is going to happen (ie) see Clapper Balog Trombly......

If you dont think that you can find the winning bag it is simple dont complain just dont try.

I wasn't complaining....Hardy would be in contention on Charlevoix...The guy is untouchable on all northern lakes....But since you opened that can of worms...
If you want to get into the big water guys..IE Clapper, Balog, trombly etc...I think they have to many tourneys on the Big water.  4 tournaments out of 5 are on Lake Erie/St Clair... years ago we fished Wixom, Muskegon, Saginaw Bay, Coldwater chain etc along with the big water...This IMHO showed who the most well rounded anglers where....I would have liked to at least see the Grand River stay on the schedule...Don't get me wrong the top anglers in the state are awesome everywhere, but we have pretty much eliminated Largemouth competition from the BFLs...But I am only one of 400 anglers that fish the BFLs and that is just my opinion (which this forum allows me to express)(not my complaint)
The BFLs are the best run tourneys and the best anglers in the state fish them....So yes I will continue trying to catch a winning bag ...No matter where they go..

TCook

Quote from: jcox7 on June 25, 2008, 10:25:54 AM

I dont get whats so funny with pointing out that there are a handful of guys that seem to be really locked in on Burt and Mullett? When I look at the results over the last three years I see Telguska finishing 1,1,4 Pipkins 1, 3 (in 07) Bond 3, 8, 4 Snyder 6, 5 Modrack 10, 7, 8. Even though these guys would likley be on top elsewhere, I dont see what a change could hurt.
FISH HARD!!!

Team houston

Even though I am a lowly co-angler and have been fishing Redman since the late 80s I would prefer 1 LM tournament a year.(grand,muskegen etc.) But when you have the best SM fishing in the world,bar none, 3 or 4 of the tournys need to be there. Thats my opinion

motocross269

I am just a Co also..At least for one more year...I have a boat, but I know that the quickest way for me to learn some of the big water tactics (NOT SPOT Stealing but Tactics)...Is to fish from the back of the boat for at least one more year...I have been on the water alot this year working areas, but I still need to get some big water confidence in both driving the boat and fishing tactics before I go as a boater..
I fished Redman a little in the late 80s also....Then things in the military started heating up and i just didn't have time to fish any more...I am now just getting back into fishing since I retired a couple of years ago...So far it has been a blast, things have changed a ton..