Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:51:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

BFL Question

Started by Dan, May 29, 2008, 09:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I have never fished a BFL. Is there any off limits? Can I fish right up through Friday?

"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

bshaner

Yes.  Unless the rules have changed and I missed it you can fish right up until registration meeting.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

djkimmel

Once the weigh in starts, you can't fish within a certain distance of the release tube if they are using one. BFL is using the release boat more often.

Local off limits are often in your acceptance letter. I know for Mullett Lake, you cannot go beyond the lock in the Cheboygan River out to Lake Huron.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

flipclip

You can pre-fish up to the meeting (usually as late as 7 pm check in) the night before the tournament. They will go over all off limit areas at the meeting, and repeat it the morning of the tournament.   

Dan

Where are they holding the registration meeting? Is all that stuff in the confirmation letter that I should probably try and find?
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

SethV

Yep, its in the confirmation letter.  Its also all on the FLW web page.

Seth

Dan

I hope to find those confirmation letters. I am going as a non boater. I plan to go up and prefish with my BFL traveling buddy on Tuesday through Friday. I know we have talked about this many times, but what do you boaters consider appropriate for gas money? Is the nonboater expected to pay half of the gas and oil on tournament day or do the boaters expect more because they are trailering etc. I've bantered that back and forth and I'm already splitting traveling gas and prefishing gas so as a nonboater I don't really feel an obligation to pay more than my half of the tournament day. Just my opinion, but if a boater worked it out he/she would find a traveling partner to split expenses with. I figure tops we would burn Saturday is twenty five gallons plus oil so $60-$75 ought to be ballpark for gas. Am I close?

djkimmel

Expectations can be as different as the many anglers are. I'm happy when I get $20 and very happy to get $40 on a bigger lake. Sometimes I don't get anything. That probably involves the different personalities among co-anglers, their finances and their satisfaction (or lack of) for the day. I hope to get a little financial help, but I don't freak out about it. It's probably best to ask your boater about this Friday night when you meet him/her.

As far as your letters - you need to get organized. Your retired. You should have plenty of time!!!! ;D :o

You HAVE to check-in before 7 PM on Friday. You can do so in person from 4PM until 7PM at the meeting location - Wal-Mart in the south end of Cheboygan on Old 27 (http://bfl.flwoutdoors.com/tournament.cfm?cid=2&tid=6016), or call FLW Outdoors 270-252-1000 before 5 PM Central time.

You HAVE to be at the Wal-Mart by 7:30 PM Friday for the mandatory meeting.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

daylite

Dan, our bass club has established $50 for the non-boater per day.  Some felt it was too low.  If your boater does a lot of runnin-n-gunnin', you may want to pitch in a little more.  When we were out at Lake St. Clair the other day for a paper tourney, I still gave $60.

Good luck at the BFL.

Dan

Hey guys thanks for the info. Should be fun and I plan on taking pictures and writing an article on all the Michigan BFLs this year. They'll be on my teardropbass.com website. Hey Kimmel I gave Great Lakes props on my blog again even though you bust my chops all the time. Here I am a poor and I mean poor retired school teacher just trying to get by. Took fourth in our first Tear Drop event on Cadillac and Mitchell even though we didn't get to fish the last hour and ten minutes. We were 1lb. 1 oz out of first. The fish on Cadillac and Mitchell are just starting to get on the beds.

djkimmel

I only try to give people what I think they need ;D

Maybe... if you do a lead in to your blog articles about the BFL's on here and link back to your site for the 'rest of the story' I'll consider giving you a little less chop-busting... and maybe even tell you where you can get some more of those cinnamon rolls...!?!

Dan

I would, but it's a ratings thing. Right now I'm just hits ahead of Katie Couric and hope soon to knock off Brian Williams. With Leno retiring I figure it's time to make my move.

Dan

Looks like we're heading up on Tuesday and won't probably fish until Wednesday. We're going go be camping at Aloha State Park. Hope they still have sites available. We're taking my white chevy truck and camper and Don's BassCat. Good luck everyone.

MadWags

Look me up. I'll e at site 181 on the basin. Bring a house warming gift.
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

stackenem

I'm on lot 194 bring 2 housewarming gifts. I will be there tomorrow(tuesday)

Bill
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing