Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:14:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Trolling motor question

Started by BIGSHOW, March 29, 2018, 05:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIGSHOW

Ive always had terrovas and loved them. But something came up and im looking at a boat with a fortrex. I hear some guys love them. Am i missing something? I loved the remote and anchor etc. Etc. What does the fortrex have that makes it popular?

fishstick

The cable steer gives it instant responsiveness and the scissor mount is an ultra quick stow and deploy. Plus it was built to take a beating, they are great motors. But if you are used to using a Terrova you will definitely miss not having spot lock on the Fortrex.

Look into the possibility of upgrading to a Minn Kota Ultrex it has the best of both worlds.

djkimmel

That would be my preference too. Spot-lock and the cable steering I've known for decades.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

BIGSHOW

I'm not a walleye fisherman but the few times i go in early spring that anchor holds that position great. Even with the fast current. If it works out i may try to list it here and buy a terrova. The one plus i think i remember is you can use the 360 scan with the cable and not the terrova

djkimmel

Don't know about the 360 Scan limits. Someone else probably does without me having to look it up or ask someone smarter.

Spot-lock is pretty amazing but I have to start with cable steering as that's what I've known for long time, and works for the way I fish. That's probably the first thing everyone needs to determine, is what fits the way they fish the most.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

mikesmiph

I had a Fortrex on my last boat and loved it. Quiet and powerful and I loved the ease of use with the cable steer. This boat, I went with the Ultrex. It has everything the Fortrex had plus so much more. I love every feature on it. The spot lock is great. I have a smaller boat and really don't think Talons are practical for my boat. I also really like the follow the contour feature (make sure you use a Lakemaster chip). Neither motor has the stow and deploy, but that's all the Ultrex doesn't do. I love mine.

Rangerman

Fourtrex 112 was the best trolling motor on the planet TILL I swapped it for a Ultrex.  Man talk about the King of the Hill. Power steer instant, and get in and out of tight places I could not before due to quick steer.  Only draw back is in my Z520C the recessed foot pedal is not deep enough by about a inch.  Sometimes I hit the spot lock or coarse North by mistake.  Really think you should look at the Ultrex love mine. I am not using the build in transducer but the DI.SI transducer mounted to lower end.  Works great. Now that out of the way, Guys how about turn the heaters up for water temp on St. Clair the Lake Norman Mafia headed back up for a week or so June 8 :) and please some current fishing reports. Ding Dong I know you boys don't fish much in the winter up there due to hard water :) Just come on down to Norman we open 24/7/365 and the fishing is much better during the winter months .  Heck it's not but 12 hours WAO and all down hill.

djkimmel

Spring may have finally arrived Friday... not 100% sure but maybe... should be in time for the bass to do their thing like always though maybe a day or two behind.

They are still dealing with hard water across the northern half of the state though. Poor anglers... I feel for them.

BIGSHOW

Yea, im leaning towards the ultrex. I to have a z520. Someone else said that about the foot petal.  Guess ill have to get used to it. I had 2 terrovas and use the heck out of the remote though. I miss that

djkimmel

Definitely a different feel between the remote/lagging electric drive and the power cable steer but if you already have the electric drive part down as you do AND you can use the cable steer that's like fluently speaking two languages!! You can run any boat.

I never actually got a chance to use the newer electric drive foot pedals so I don't know how improved those might be. The older ones drove me crazy. I don't know how long it was going to take me to get used to the steering lag...?? There were times the remote came in real handy but as all fishing equipment choices end up being a compromise and I use the foot pedal the most to steer intricate directions often with the need of fast direction changes that is the way to go for me.

I wonder if some day they will get to the point where they can combine all of these things into one trolling motor? That will be something. (Of course, some day they'll have voice-activated or even... mind-control motors!! You can bet on it!!)

mikesmiph

The remote on my Ultrex is very responsive. I use it all the time.

djkimmel

Okay... there are TOO many 'trex' 'ult' and 'ova' motor models now!! I've got myself completely confused about which motor does which thing... I vote Minn Kota comes up with completely new names that aren't all alike (basically sounding like something from Marvel Comics!).

I thought the Ultrex was the newer cable drive so I was wondering how the heck you're using a remote for it?!?

Now I'm trying to remember WHAT motor was it they showed me at the shows this winter that had the new awesome foot pedal??

Every time I've been in a boat with one of the electric drive motors I've had a heck of a time dealing with the lag between the making the 'request' to turn verses making the turn coming from my world of my foot moves and the motor moves with it. I imagine I would eventually get used to it but you know what they say about teaching old dogs new tricks...

I guess I need to go fishing with one of my Minn Kota expert friends and ask a bunch of questions to refresh my rotten memory again too.

djkimmel

I'm looking at the Minn Kota website and starting to think maybe I've misremembered something again...??

mikesmiph

The Ultrex is a combination. I got it with I Pilot link. It has a remote. It does everything except self deploy.

djkimmel

Yeah... I've just managed to confuse myself again.

Rangerman

Ultrex Dan, finer than frog hair, all the Lake Norman Mafia crowd has gone them.  One buddy got one and his buddy fished with him, and then another, Y'all know the drill. :) Sure nuff instance steer no lag.  I hated turning loose of the $$$$$$ to replace a almost new Fourtrex but well worth the money.

djkimmel

If you can swing something better you might as well get it. You only live once and for so long (an unknown number of days).

Rangerman

Hot Tip #31A from the Lake Norman Mafia :) To off set the mistaken bump on of Spot Lock or Coarse North mount a 3/4 piece of Pex (black hard rubber water pipe) on the right side to block the buttons from being hit will fishing.  Just mount to the recessed pedal with small black screws.  Works like a top. Total cost is about $3.00 :) All the guys are getting em from me, I carry them and had em out free to the locals. Hope to see some of you potlickers in June we hitting the pond June 8,9 thu the 16th.  Got the DNR ramp ranson fee pass's,( All Free down South) :) licences etc.