Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:14:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

what to buy

Started by 123bass, April 04, 2008, 10:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123bass

humminbird 787c , 757c 767 or 595c   all are gps combo ???

dmills4124

I just got back from Kames Sporting goods and met with Matt from Humminbird. What I did find out was there is a differance from the 797CSI and the 797C2SI. The C2 has twice the pixels verticl making that unit 2 time clearer than the other. The 797C2SI can hook to expansion cards and to your laptop or home computer for recording on the lake when you prefish then look at items of interest at home put in way points and do better the next day out. You can also use the unit on your trolling motor turned sideways and scan in front of you 150 to 230 feet ahead. As far as the other units no side imaging so if your going to spend that much money why not get side imaging and add navionics premium for a few bucks more. It will do till you upgade later in life.
Thats just my two cents worth of run on it.
And thats all I have to say on that subject.(said in my best Forrest Gump voice)
later
don m

SethV

Are you looking for a unit at the console or bow? 

I would not put a SI unit on the t/m.  You need to be moving at about 2 - 5 mph for the best image.  If you are sitting still, you don't get a clear picture, as the image just updates with the same information.  I have never run one on a t/m, but I have talked to people who have tried it and they said it did not work out well. 

I am in the process of putting a 997Si on the console....can't wait it is gonna be a big help prefishing.

Seth

dmills4124

Hey seth, putting it on the T/M is tough. It takes two people, one on the T/M and one on the gas motor. This style is best for those erie walleye guys looking for rock piles. Just put it in as a "what can be done" kinda thing. Like thinking outside the box.
just a thought while talking with the 797 rep.
later
don m
Mine is going on the console with the ducer off the transom like everyone else.

BryanP

Actually, just about everyone I talk to that has used SI on the TM absolutely loves it.  You just have to understand the limitations.  It doesn't take two people to operate.  You just need to have the boat moving.  Slow trolling speed on the TM is enough, and just understand that sudden changes in direction on the TM will distort the image slightly till the boat is moving straight again.  It can actually be quite beneficial on the trolling motor.  But if you only have one unit, you'll get more benefit on the console IMO.

As for 123bass's question, get the highest resolution unit you can afford.  The screen on the 787 is outstanding, and twice the resolution of the 757 and 595.  That would be my first choice.  The 767 is great too, but it's monochrome instead of color if that matters to you.

Bryan

Humminbird Rep--Michigan

Waterfoul

Buy as much GPS/fishfinder as you can afford.  Stay away from the 595.  Was seriously considering buying one until I put several different nav. chips in one and found that it simply won't zoom in close enough to be useful.  Especially true with Navionics chips.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

SethV

Quote from: BryanP on April 05, 2008, 10:32:38 AM
Actually, just about everyone I talk to that has used SI on the TM absolutely loves it.  You just have to understand the limitations. 
Bryan

Humminbird Rep--Michigan

Bryan-  Dang it, you are gonna make me want to buy one for the bow!   :P

BTW - I have some parts to send you!

Seth

cr

Bryan, I need a little help on a different subject . I've a 987si and wonder whats the difference between it and the 997si and why did they discontinue it ? Also how does the depth of the water affect the range ? I like my unit but wonder if I'm getting maximun performance from it . For example in 15 ft of water what would be the optimum setting on the range ?.....        ...........                    thx    Charles