Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:26:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Scientists Training Fish to Catch Themselves - I know some of you want this!!!

Started by djkimmel, March 27, 2008, 03:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Teaching Fish to Respond to Sound?

AP
Posted: 2008-03-26 20:34:41
Filed Under: Science News

BOSTON (March 26) - Call them Pavlov's fish: Scientists are testing a plan to train fish to catch themselves by swimming into a net when they hear a tone that signals feeding time. Read more...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

stackenem

Free range fish??????  that's as bad as Bill Engvall's free range chickens LOL
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

Skulley

Is that like that old Budwieser commercial where the football player yells to the fish "GET IN THE BOAT" and the fish jump in the boat???  I remember he yelled at one "TOO SMALL" and the small fish jumped out of the boat and back into the water............. :o

BD          ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Got Fish??

I know for a fact, that fish from a hatchery get fed at the same time of day ,when thay are fry. I beleve this carries over for a while after the fish get released. walleye in the great lakes pattern this way. I say BOO, noway please don't take the fun or challenge out of sportfishing.

djkimmel

Got Fish?? You made it!!! I don't want to take the 'fun' out of it.

But I do recall enjoying that commercial. I think that Hughie or Howie something or other? Of course, now I just yell, "GET IN MAH BELLY!!!"

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

I really think that training fish would be pretty easy..About a month ago I started a Fresh water aquarium with all sorts of different types of fish...I told my wife I was going to train them so that when I turned on the Flo light in the AM they would know it was feeding time...As soon as I turn on the Light all of the fish head to the surface to get their food...It only took a couple of days..
My wife says she is going to work on Clicker training the fish to see what they will do...
So if you see me out on LSC with a Clicker and some fish food don't have me locked up.... ;D...I am just trying ot train the smallies to jump in the boat on tourney day...I can't remember seeing anything in the Rules against catching trained bass.. ::)

Skulley

If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

WayneC

So a guy is coming up from shore with a cooler filled with water and too many walleye when the Conservation Officer stops him.  The officer says, "It looks like you've got too many walleye in your posession.  I'll have to write you a ticket." 

The guy replies, "Not so fast, these are my pets!"  The CO glares at him in disbelief.  "No really," the guy says.  "I take the cooler down to the waters edge, blow a whistle, and they jump into the cooler to come up on shore with me for awhile.  I can prove it!"  "I'll have to see this for myself," the CO says. 

They walk back down to the waters edge, our intrepid angler dumps the walleye back into the lake and starts to walk away.  The CO says, "Hey, wait a minute.  What about the whistle?"

Our guy says, "What whistle?"

"The one you call the walleye with?," the CO says.

"What walleye?"

Credit where credit is due: This was first told to me by Gary Cowan from Ontario, Canada.  If you ever get the pleasure, he's a great story teller and has many more.   

djkimmel

I thought in the Canadian version of the 'story' the cooler was full of pickerel?? (or was it pickles??) Who knows with the Canucks!!

WayneC

Way to go Dan!  You got that exactly right but the story had to be sanitized for an international audience.  Don't want none of that pike slime on the boat, or the cooler.

fiker

When we went to a fly in camp in Ontario a few years back the Canucks staying there called walleye Pickeral-ay.   Sometimes they were just referred to as Picks-ay.

I'm not sure if it depended on how many labats they had ay, but I do know that by the end of the week we were all calling them picks ay.

When the country to the North was first formed, they knew that they had to have a name.  They couldn't decide on what the name should be.  A random drawing was in order to maintain peace.  They put all of the letters of the alphabet into a hat.  The leader of the group reached into the hat, pulled out a letter and called it out to the crowd, followed by the second, and then the third.  The dialogs went something like this.

C -ay
N -ay
D - ay. 

And so Canada was born ay.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390