Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:07:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Boater question????

Started by stackenem, April 02, 2008, 05:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stackenem

This is a question for the BFL boaters.  With the gas prices going out of the roof this year what will you feel is the fair amount that your co should pay you for gas.

burt/mullet
sandusky bay
St Clair
detroit river

Thanks
Bill
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

Revtro

Great question.  I'm curious also what guys think.  To fill up at $3.20 per gallon, it'll cost me $166.4.  $20 from a co just ain't gonna cut it if we're fishing big water and using most of the fuel.  What do you guys think is fair to ask? 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

dashaver63

I might be getting in trouble here, but I have to add my 2 cents on this. Last year I gave $30.00 to my boater for gas money and this it will be $40.00. With the boater having full control of the boat, co's generally don't have much say in where we fish. Secondly, and this will probably only apply on Burt/Mullet, I really don't enjoy an 8 hour day being front ended with nothing to fish. Last year up there, I probably only fished for about an hour while my boater went from bed to bed. All that I was left to do was fan casting off the back deck into nothing. St.Clair, I was with a boater that went spot jumping, never fishing for more than about 15 min. to a half hour in any 1 spot, and I spent most of the day netting his fish. The other 3 tournaments were good partner style fishing. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed all 5 last year and managed to catch fish in all of them, I just don't feel I should be expected to pay $70+ for gas because my boater wants to run all day or make long runs to his fish. Now if I cash a check, I'll give more gas money, but right now, $40 is about all I'll be able to afford. I hope I haven't put anyone off, because thats not my intention. I understand how much money you guy's put into these tournaments, and you have more at stake. I really appreciate all you guy's and the help most boaters gives us co's. I really wish I had a way to upgrade my boat, because I would be in as a boater also.

Wolf_fisherman

As a co-angler and even just a fun trip out on lake st clair we split the cost on gas for the tracker which is only about $25 a peice but if my other bud brings his triton out i try to give about $30 for a st clair trip but with gas soaring I am gonna try to give $40 does that sound fair to you bass boat guys?
Carpe Diem

Revtro

dshaver, it's cool.  Yer not in trouble.   ;D

I think $40 is pretty fair most of the time personally.  A lot of times when I fish with friends I don't take anything or very little.  In tournaments though, I'd expect the co to be fair with me.  dshaver makes a great point.  I think what you said is very fair.  I would say though that being a co is the luck of the draw.  You might get paired with a great boater who doesn't front end you and who lets you have say on where you fish.  But you don't know until you fish with him. 

Now, I don't feel this way, so don't jump on me for saying it... but some boaters might look at it like this:  If co's won't make a significant investment in the fuel for the day, why should they go out of their way to do much for the co?  Some boaters MIGHT think that way.  I'M NOT SAYING I DO.  Just a thought.  I'm not trying to stir anything up, just food for thought. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

dartag

if you are counting on money from a co-angler you might as well tell him right away.  i fished one BFL as a boater and my co had a tough day.  i gave him my baits showed him what to do even loaned him my rod.. he could not catch a fish while i had a limit and was culling.  he never even said thanks or offered a dime at the end of the day.

i am fishing the FLW this year as a co angler and already have 50.00 a day set aside for my boater.

SethV

As a boater, I really don't care what the co-angler gives me.  I don't fish any differently based on what i think the co will give me for gas.  Some times, I won't even take gas money.  I am just glad we have co-anglers so we can fish as boaters. 

If I were going as a co-angler, I would offer between 40 and 60 a tournament. 

Just be sure you offer gas money.  The boater may or may not take it.  In all the years in all of the different divisions, only 1 time has a co-angler not offered gas money.  In that event I ran a long way (50 miles each way across a very rough lake Ontario) and my co got a good check.  I missed a check.  Not about the money, but he never offered gas money or even said thanks.  After talking to a couple other boaters, they said he did the same thing to them.  Not the kind of reputation you want as a co.

Seth

dashaver63

Thanks Rev, I was hoping I wasn't in trouble. But a note to the other co's out there, I give the gas money at the meeting when I meet my boater. That just puts him at ease knowing things are taken care of. If anyone out there knows Cecil Cole, ask him about his co for the first Detroit River tournament last year, that guy had to be close to about the worst co-angler in history. I guess the guy's wife put him in the tournament as a gift or something, it was his first and probably only tournament. But thats a story for a different time.

bshaner

Personally, I'm going to be fishing the tournaments no matter what the co gives me so I dont expect much really.  I got anywhere from 20 to 40 bucks last year in each tournament.  I was equally grateful for all.  That being said, to not atleast offer something is an insult.  To offer 5 bucks I would say is just as much of an insult.  If you can't afford to fork up some expense money, then you probably shouldnt be spending money on the tournament either - especially if you have a family.

On the other side of the coin, if you damage a boater's boat, pay for it.  My co broke both my windshields the last tournament.  One was an out and out cast straight into the windshield, the other he fell on it.  I never got a dime.  Hope I never draw him again, for both our sakes.

Another answer to your question is, it depends on the ride.  If they spend 30 bucks on gas it would be ridiculous for you to pay them 40.  This is why I truly respect the co's who give you money up front but I prefer they didnt.  If I dont put them on fish, I'd be hard pressed to take much money from them.  If I do and they cash a check, then darnit I better get atleast the money to cover half the gas.  If we both cash a check, well let's just high-5 and call it good.

With all that being said, I would not respect a boater who complained about 35 to 40 bucks from a co.  That is more than fair amount in my opinion.

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

SethV

Quote from: dashaver63 on April 02, 2008, 09:11:28 PM
I guess the guy's wife put him in the tournament as a gift or something, it was his first and probably only tournament.

I drew one of those rookies one time.  It was a Super Tx on Cayuga.  The guy had never fish a tournament of ANY kind before.  He was a nice guy, but had NO idea what he was in for.  He had never even been in a bass boat...much less run WOT during a Tx blastoff.   :o

We met in the morning and all went well.  Got the boat in the water fine, no issues.  That is when I noticed he had 1 rod.  A 6' ugly stick with a spincast reel.  I told him I was on a lot of fish.  Even though the bite was tough for most, I expected to do well.  I had been doing very well on Cayuga consistently cashing checks.  While we were waiting for our number (nearly full field) I gave him some of the baits I had been catching fish on.  Got him tied on and talked him through what to do.

Our number was called and we went for a short run down the lake (5 miles or so).  When we arrived my co did not move.  I asked him what was going on and he could hardly speak he was so shaken by the "normal" ride.  I quickly put 5 in the box, all small keeper fish, but that is all I expected out of this particular spot.  I hung around for a little longer, to try and get him a few, but he was not able to connect.

I then decided to run to my next stop in hopes of a few bigger fish.  I upgraded 1, and then had a monster smallie come unbuttoned on a crank bait.  That slowed, so off we went to another area with some bigger fish.

This area was about 12' deep, with scattered cabbage grass.  The big fish were suspended in the grass, and a whacky senko was killer.  I set him up with a senko, and told him to just throw it out there and let it sink.  I culled a couple more, but I still needed that big kicker.

With about 30 minutes to go, he said that he was snagged on some cabbage.  I saw his "cabbage" moving sideways.  I told him that he had one, and to maintain steady pressure.  I could tell it was a good one, and talked him through the fight.  He got it, about a 5 lb fish.  He was shaking like a leaf, said that was the biggest fish of his life.

At weigh in, his 1 fish almost got him a check.  I made the cut for day 2.  We had a great day together.  I am not sure what he thought of me, I think that was the most intense day on the water that he ever had - but we had fun!

Bottom line, even if you are a rookie co-angler, you can still have a ton of fun.  

Seth

motocross269

I got some great advice from this site last year.....
I put money(usually 40.00) in an envelope with my Name, Contact numbers, and any other info the boater might need written on the outside..I could see the relief on a lot of boaters faces when I hand them that envelope...I usually offer to pick up Ice, water or whatever in the AM that way the boater doesn't have to worry about swinging in someplace with his rig..

REEL_MAN

For 6 years I went as a co, last year as a boater. In the 6 years I always gave the boater gas money. Even if we didn't go very far. I had/have my own boat and I new what it took to run it. I started out giving $20 but by the last year I was a co I was giving $40. Even if the boater said no I made them take it, I knew he spent more on gas than just that day.
I hear guys complain about being fronted all day and complaining about this and that. I realized early on that the boater most likely spent 2 days prefishing locating, establishing patterns and just learning the water. The boater is taking you to the spots HE found and worked hard at finding (don't share HIS spots with your buddies). As a co I would show up on Friday night for the meeting and go fishing the next day. Not much expense in that.
When I heard other co's making complaints I would just say to them if you don't like it you have 2 options: stop fishing the tournments or use your own boat and go as a boater.
Like Seth I had a first timer. Only I had a boater!!!!! We went out of Elizibeth park. Didn't have GPS, drift sock and only spent Friday afternoon fishing within a couple of miles of the ramp (didn't have any spots). I turned out to be the guide from the back of the boat. Thank goodness I could locate spots I had close enough to catch some fish. Even though it wasn't the greatest day I still enjoyed the day and gave him gas money.
I was told that if I went as a boater I'd never go as a co again, it's true. If your a co and have a boat take that next step. It's gives you a different attitude.
If I draw any of you as a co this year in the BLF's, I promise to try and catch my limit but also for you to catch yours.

rufus

In my 4 years of fishing BFL's I have had very few bad experiences with my coanglers. There have been days I have put them on them and they have cashed some very nice checks and there have been other days where I flat out told them that I would not take gas money and they gave it to me anyway. It does cost a tremendous amount of money to prefish on our big water these days. I truly appreciate co's that insist on giving gas money. I fish to win if I can find those kind of fish, but when it comes right down to it a day on the water with a fellow fisherman making new friendships is what it is all about. I compete as intense as anyone, but I absolutley love the way BFL's are set up. I have made a ton of lifelong friends fishing the BFL's. I have always strived to get my co a limit if it is possible. I will hang around a little longer if that is what it takes. A couple years ago on the Grand River I had found a couple unbelievably large schools of fish in the Grand. I told my co if they stayed we would have a great day. My first spot yielded me a limit and he got 2 off of it. We were getting a ton of pressure from other boat including a couple within 5 feet of us. I told him that this was simply a limit spot and if the other spot was still on we would cull everything we caught. Well the other spot was on and over 25 keepers later I finished 4th and my co won it. I loaned him all the stuff I was catching my fish on. He gave me $40 for gas. He was very soft spoken and honestly one of the nicest guys I have ever met. The very next tourney at the meeting he walked up to me and handed me a large brown bag full of the stuff he had used of mine at the Grand. He thanked me again for the great day. There was well over $100 worth of stuff in that bag.
I also had a co who is now a very good friend that invited me to become part of his sponsorhip team, which he and my other teammates have worked very hard to obtain.
The ole saying of "what goes around comes around" is absolutely the truth. As a boater your focus should be on winning, but that in no way, shape, or form should have any effect on how you treat your co angler for the day. If you do everything in your power to get on fish and it doesn't work out 99% of the guys fishing with you are still gonna give you a fair amount for gas money or at least try to. I would love to do this full time and let me tell you, you never know if the guy in your backseat may be the next KVD. Wouldn't it be nice to be close friends with him? I don't normally try to be overly optimistic about how we are gonna do. I ususally simply tell them what I have found and if they are still there I will do all I can to get them a few in the boat. My father-in-law has fished as my guaranteed co all this time and has heard many stories from his boaters of how they are going to have five 4 pounders in the first hour. It gets him overly excited only to find out the next day why we call it "fishing".
Gentleman, all I am saying is this. I do believe $40 is a fair sum for gas money, but if all you are worried about as a boater is not getting stiffed then you should not be playing this sport. Go out there and have as good a day as you possibly can. Treat your fellow fisherman with respect and remember we are all in this to have a good time. The good Lord did not put us here to win tourneys, but to develop relationships. You do your part and all else will fall in place. God Bless!

Revtro

rufus, very well said!  I agree 100%.  This is how I feel as well.  I hope co's will be fair but regardless, I treat every one of them as I would want to be treated.    Yeah, I want to win, but I do my best to get the co his fish even if it means sticking on a spot for a while longer.  In the end, it's about being a human being.  Very well said rufus!
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

LAPORTE

Great topic...  ;D

I will be in my first full year of the Michigan Div. BFL tourneys and was wondering what the going rate my be to give someone for fuel.

The forty bucks is a small fee for a great day on the lake with someone that you chat with about the very thing you have in common and maybe making a new friend.  ;D

In the past my entire idea of fishing was picking up 2 boxes of worms and some beer for my father :'( and then watching a bobber for the day :'(. That is until I found bass fishing 2 years ago. Now I've got some catching up to do..

I'm going out on a limb by thinking that most co like myself. It's also a cheap price to pay if your boater can school you on how to find fish or show you how to use different lures. I fished 2 years ago with a boater named Dave Rowe (I'm sure that is not spelled right) He was a great boater you could not have asked for better in you first tourney. He was kind enough to let me use some of his tackle and schooled me in how to use it and even stayed in some spots longer than he wanted to for me. I just ran across him this last weekend at Wonderland. I was surprised to see that he remembered me. I should have asked him if he ever got the gas money I put in his ashtray of his truck. (I forgot to tell him)   

Well I'm Rambling its kind of what I do.... sorry  :-[
Don L
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Team houston

Well said Rufus as usual. Have you gotten any info on Lake Cherokee yet?

skeeterman190

well im gonna throw my 2 cents in here. im fishing as a boater this year so it has come up in my thoughts. I feel 40-50 bucks isnt asking too much. after all is said and done these are easily 1000 dollar trips for me. plus if youve ever been around me or in the boat with me you know your paying for a comedy show on the front deck. i just love talking to myself up there usually blabbing about nothing or talking to the fish.  :D "here fishy fishy come get ya some of this pretty tube never mind that hook it only hurts for a second."-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

dashaver63

Well said Rufus, and thats all a co-angler really wants is to be treated fairly. If you go the extra length to make sure your co catches fish, thats even better. As a co for the past couple years, I've tried not to ask too much of my boater, and most of the time, I won't even yell for the net, I want him to concentrate on what he's doing because I do realize he has much more at stake. The only thing I don't like is when I am treated like I'm just there to help pay for his gas. I haven't run into that in the Michigan Division, thats why I like fishing up there so much better.

rufus

Phil,
I have not did a lot of research on Cherokee yet. I know that it is still down. A few good spring rains and hopefully it will come back up. I have a link to the fishing on it that I have not used yet, but I will let you know what to expect as the time draws near.
God Bless
Heath

BigSmallie

All the co-angler needs to do is offer gas money.    This, in it's self, will relieve any tension.........whether the boater accepts the cash or not.

I chose not to accept the gas money offered by my co-angler last year.   He let me do my thing and had a great time just watching.    Hell of a nice guy..........I believe his name was Rick McClintock.

BS  ;)   
"I don't care how you did the other day......bring em' to the scales"