Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:41:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Questions about setup on Humminbird 997c SI

Started by Cy, March 10, 2008, 10:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cy

I am rather sure I am going to buy a 997 with in the next week or two.  I have been doing some homework trying figure out how to get the best setup.  Most guys are running 2 transducers on there bass rigs.  One for the SI mounted on the transom  and one for high speed 2d operation mounted in the bottom of the boat.  I see that Humminbird offers a high speed kit, it comes with a puck style transducer and a switch unit to switch between the 2 transducers.  My question is what is up with the new Y Cable, AS-SiDB-Y by Humminbird.  I understand that it replaces the switch but will it switch between the 2 transducer automatically or is there a software switch that happens?  How does it work?

Thanks,

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Team houston

If you don't get an answer here, try the BFHP. There is a guy on there that knows a lot about the sidefinders.

VinceR

Quote from: Cfruel on March 10, 2008, 10:33:24 AM
I am rather sure I am going to buy a 997 with in the next week or two.  I have been doing some homework trying figure out how to get the best setup.  Most guys are running 2 transducers on there bass rigs.  One for the SI mounted on the transom  and one for high speed 2d operation mounted in the bottom of the boat.  I see that Humminbird offers a high speed kit, it comes with a puck style transducer and a switch unit to switch between the 2 transducers.  My question is what is up with the new Y Cable, AS-SiDB-Y by Humminbird.  I understand that it replaces the switch but will it switch between the 2 transducer automatically or is there a software switch that happens?  How does it work?

Thanks,

Cy

Cy, the Y Cable (AS-SiDB-Y) eliminates the need for the switch. It also makes the operation simpler. The simple version, as I understand it, is that with the Y cable, you do not have to manually switch the unit from the SI transducer reception to the DB (through-hull) transducer reception, as you would with the switch. The information that I have is that with the cable, the changeover from the SI to the DB transducer is automatic (but not with the switch).

Also, the "Y Cable" is about half the price of the switch, at $32.99 retail (even less at BPS $24.99).

The down side is that the cable has been on "backorder" for almost a month. Both Humminbird, and BPS are saying two to three weeks. Humminbird does not even list the cable on their website, yet. They do, however, acknowledge it's existance, and you can order it through them (when it becomes available, again).

BryanP

Guys--The AS SIDBY cable is available, in stock now at D&R Sports.  HB has had a huge run on these and they are backordered at the factory.  So if you think you need one I'd get one while they have them because I'm not sure what the expected in-stock date is.  D&R also has the 997's in stock both with and without the NVB (Navionics Bundle).  This was as of Saturday when I was there for their "Salmon Days" event. 

Vince is correct regarding the function of the y-cable.  Basically what it does is always read 2D sonar readings off the epoxied in hull transducer, and read only Side Imaging from the external SI transducer.

I'll be at D&R for their big sale Easter weekend, and I'll gladly answer any questions you might have and go over various rigging options, so stop by!

Bryan
Minn Kota/Humminbird/Cannon Rep--Michigan

VinceR

Thanks, Bryan, for the "heads-up" about D&R having the cables in stock. I just ordered mine. Bass Pro said that it should be in "any day now", but Humminbird has been saying that for three weeks. I figured that I'd better get it while I can.

Berkley

Check this site out. Its the unoffical side imaging fourm... Pretty cool and very helpful.

http://www.xumba.scholleco.com/index.php

BigSmallie

Quote from: BryanP on March 10, 2008, 08:44:14 PM
Guys--The AS SIDBY cable is available, in stock now at D&R Sports.  HB has had a huge run on these and they are backordered at the factory.  So if you think you need one I'd get one while they have them because I'm not sure what the expected in-stock date is.
Bryan
Minn Kota/Humminbird/Cannon Rep--Michigan

Bryan, I just ordered the 1197cSI Combo last week.   Since this is a new model...do you know if this unit will have the "Y" cable.....or do I need to purchase a cable??

Thank you in advance.

BS  ;)
"I don't care how you did the other day......bring em' to the scales"

BryanP

Big Smallie--Y-Cable needs to be purchased separately along with XP-9-20 puck transducer (to be epoxied in-hull) if you plan on rigging using a dual transducer method.

Bryan

Cy

Bryan,

Thanks for the tip on D&R.  I stopped yesterday and picked up my Y-cable while I had the chance. 
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

BigSmallie

Quote from: BryanP on March 12, 2008, 10:54:53 PM
Big Smallie--Y-Cable needs to be purchased separately along with XP-9-20 puck transducer (to be epoxied in-hull) if you plan on rigging using a dual transducer method.

Bryan

Bryan:

You say I need to purchase both a transducer and the "Y" cable?????   I could understand needing to purchase the "Y" cable as this is a relatively new item........but how did Humminbird plan on me hooking up the HD Side Imaging and the Dual Beam Plus to the same unit without a "Y" cable???

I just checked Humminbird's website and under the 1197c SI Combo NVB.....it shows the items included with the unit.    Under the listing: "Sonar"  the "Dual Beam Plus" and the "HD Side Imaging" are both listed.

Isn't the Dual Beam Plus for running on plane?  This is the 60/20 degree puck that you shoot through the hull....correct?

If I'm paying $3,000. for this thing............and I need to purchase a separate transducer to make it work..........I'm really going to be peeed off right out of the gate.

Please help me understand.    The way I read their website is that I get the HD Side Imaging transducer and the Dual Beam Plus transducer.......along with the downloaded Navionics Maps............or am I missing something.

Thank you in advance.

BS  ;)

BryanP

Big Smallie--The transducer that comes with the SI units contains both Dual Beam and Side Imaging elements in the same transducer, so it will work straight out of the box as it is.  But because of the relative large size of that transducer, most guys rigging these units on bass boats are mounting this transducer higher on the transom or on the jackplate so it's totally out of the water while you're on plane, yet still in the water at idle speed.  This protects the transducer from being damaged (it's fairly expensive to replace), and also reduces drag.  Since Side Imaging works best at speeds 10 mph and less, the fact that the ducer is out of the water at high speed isn't a big deal.  However to get high speed 2D readings, they're epoxying a second dual beam transducer in hull, and connecting both to the y-cable and then the unit.

It's not necessary to purchase the y-cable or the second ducer if you plan on mounting the SI ducer that's included with the unit in an area on the transom that will give you downlooking sonar readings at speed.  What the guys in this thread are talking about is a specific rigging method that's probably become the most popular way to utilize this technology, especially on bass boats.

BigSmallie

Bryan:

THANK YOU...........I now understand.    I will purchase the Y cable and transducer you mentioned above.   Now it all makes sence.

Thanks again for explaining how the unit works.

BS  ;)

BryanP

No problem!

BTW--The puck transducer you'll need is the XP-9-20.

Thanks,

Bryan

Cy

Guys,

I just read something in the Side Imaging Yahoo group, I am hoping you can clarify for me.  The message was related to mounting the 997 with a RAM mount.  Does anyone know if the 997 can be mounted using a RAM mount?  The guys on the group were not sure that it was possible.  I would really like to know.

Thanks,

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

blakstr1

yeah, the RAM mount is prefered.  most guys point this out because if the SI is mounted at the console, they like to spin it around for viewing from the bow.
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

BryanP

Yes, RAM is the way to mount it.  The 111 works most of the time (1 3/4" ball), but if you have room get the one with the 2 1/4 ball.  It's better in the real big waves.

VinceR

If your particular application doesn't require your unit to be mounted up high (more than 3-4" above the base), you can use the RAM 111U-B. This is the one that I am using. It has the same base and mounting plate as the RAM 111, except that the arm is only 2.25" long (instead of 4.63"). The shorter arm won't be affected (as much) by the leverage of the weight of the 997. The mounting plate holes line up with the holes on the 997 gimble bracket.

Mine will fit on top of my console, protected, behind the windshield.