Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:21:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Looking to buy Bulk Fishing line

Started by LAPORTE, March 11, 2008, 12:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think is the best all around line

Braid
2 (8.3%)
Fluorocarbon
16 (66.7%)
Monofilament
4 (16.7%)
Copolymer
2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: March 21, 2008, 12:27:47 PM

LAPORTE

I'm still kinda new to all of this ;D

With that said I'm looking to fill 9 new reels that have nothing on them. (4 spinning 5 baitcasters)

I welcome all comments even the bad ones if you need to  ::)
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

SethV

"Best" is a tough word.  "Best" for what?

No way I would use the same line that i use for Frog fishing on my dropshot rod or my crankbait rod.

You need Braid, Mono and Floro, all in the right applications.  I don't know that you can pick 1 size, and type for all applications.

This is what I buy each year for my bulk line:
2000 yds 10 lb Vanish (all spinning reels)
2000 yds 12 lb P Line CCX (I get the 500 yd spools)
1000 yds 15 lb P Line CCX (500 yd spools)
60 lb Power Pro (froggin')
500 yds 20 lb Vanish (jiggin spoon)

LAPORTE

This is the good info I was looking for.  8) Until this year I have been using the same line for everything....  Call me a rookie or whatever  ;D

Don L

joshimoto son

ROOKIE!!!  ;)

Well... you said too. ::)

Welcome to bass fishing, where you will go through thousands of dollars of products until you find out what works best for you.

joshimoto son ;D

Dan

Hey Seth,
I have been talking to Justin Rowse. He says he bought a Ranger from some guy in Michigan 8). Justin fished the BASS National Championship. He said he read the blog piece from my teardropbass.com website on the Championship, and we have been emailing since. I sent him the DVD I sent you on the Championship. Small world.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

SethV

Yep, Justin bought my boat.  I am gonna miss that boat.  That 205vs is one of the best handling boats made.  It was set up perfectly with all the big water options.

I bought a new Z21, but trying to get it set up just like my old boat will take time (and lots of cash).  Got a quote on my new prop today similar to the one that I sold on the 205, yikes stuff has gone up in price!!!   :o

Don, there are no "rules" when it comes to which line to use.  Everyone is a bit different, so you will have to play with different types until you find your confidence in a set up.

Seth

Revtro

Don, keep in mind that some lines don't come in bulk spools, but you might end up preferring them, so you may need to buy several small spools.  That being said, here's what I buy pretty much each year.

30# Braid (froggin', flippin', Deep Jiggin' w/Floro leader)
10# Floro (Tubin')
8# Floro (Dropshottin', Light Tubin', Weightless Senkoin', Weightless Flukin')
12# Copolymer (Crankin', Spinnerbaitin', Senkoin', Flukin')
14# Mono (Backer line to save $$)
20# Floro (Deep jiggin', jigging spoon, deep river rock fishin', etc)

A lot of the line I like doesn't come in bulk, some does.  I like the XPS Floro.  I buy the cheap Excel Mono for backer.  Fan of P-line, especially the Evolution Copolymer.  Have been using Stealth Braid for a couple of years, but am changing this year and experimenting with a few others.  I'm interested to see how Microfuse holds up.  The only thing I don't like about Stealth is that the coating wears off too quickly.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

LAPORTE

REEL_MAN

Don,
We've all been in the rookie chair, the only thing is I don't think I'll ever get out of the chair. When I think I have it figured out the fish show me I've got more learning to do :-\'. It's a never ending education. We are lucky to have a web site thaqt the members are so free in sharing information :D (thanks Dan).
My line choices are very siimilar as Seth's but he can keep his vanish :P, I use P line fluro ;D

REELMAN

SethV

Quote from: REEL_MAN on March 12, 2008, 06:48:58 PM
My line choices are very siimilar as Seth's but he can keep his vanish :P, I use P line fluro ;D

REELMAN

Hey, I am old and set in my ways.   ;D  I might change someday, but Vanish is cheap enough that I can throw it out after each use.

Seth 

joshimoto son

SethV, Reel_Man and LaPorte,

The three of you can talk about it in two days when we're burnin plastic.

Revtro

Quote from: REEL_MAN on March 12, 2008, 06:48:58 PM
Don,
We've all been in the rookie chair, the only thing is I don't think I'll ever get out of the chair. When I think I have it figured out the fish show me I've got more learning to do :-\'. It's a never ending education.

Fo Shizzle.  Every time I think I've learned something, I realize just how much I have yet to learn!  These guys here at GLB have really helped me learn a ton over the years.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

BryanP

I try to keep it simple:

6, 8, 10 lb P-Line 100% fluorocarbon or P-Line Halo on spinning tackle.  Usually 8 lb on most finesse applications (Darters, Craws, tubes, Spider jigs) on inland lakes LSC, and DS (both inland and Erie/LSC).  10 lb for finesse jigs, skipping, and tubing on Erie/SCR.  6 lb on the inland lakes in early spring and late fall.

10 lb P-Line CXX Green for Topwater, Crankbaits, Jerkbaits, Flukes, Senkos, Texas Rigs, Jigs (casting), Carolina Rigs.

15 lb P-Line CXX Green--Spinner Baits, Buzzbaits, Carolina, Jigs, Pitching.

65 lb P-Line Spectrex Braid--Frogs, Flippin/Pitchin.

I usually start the season with a bulk spool of each except for the braid and 6 lb floro.

dmills4124

I've got 4 spinning rigs all shakespear catera with 5 extra spools all with differant line. Trilene Xl smooth in 8,10,12lb and 12lb silverthread and 10 lb cajun red and 25, 30, 50ld spiderwire. I've got 3 baitcasters;2 with cajun red 10lb, 25 lb, and one with 36lb spiderwire.
  I was at the cleveland boat show talking with Tyrone Phillips with Land o lakes and Vic Vatalaro. He was with Gain at that time now Pringals Select. We started talking line and they said the new sweetheart line was the GAMA Line. They both said everyone down this way and farther south was changing out to this (All the Pros). Does anyone else have any info on this Gama Line? Have you used it yet? What do ya think about it? Is it just another sweetheart something to come along? We could go broke on sweetheart deals in the bass fishing industry. By the way does anyone know why there are so many differant colors of lures? To sell more lures! They don't always catch fish but they do catch fishermen(persons).LOL
Later
don m

Team houston

I was going to try the Gamma last year until I looked at the price. YIKES!!! I will stick with Seaguar, it has never let me down. It's funny actually, some guys use mono and think floro is too$ and some guys use floro and think other floro is too $  LOL