Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:34:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Gel Coat

Started by Nitro882, March 02, 2008, 09:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitro882

I have a question about the gel coat on a boat, for you guys who do some traveling with your boat, I have found that the cover puts a scuff mark or a cloudiness to the surface of my boat, I have a couple places where you can see it. Since I have a black boat you can see just about every scatch there is on it. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get that cloudiness out or is there a place that fixes spots like that.

thedude

i'd try some rubbing compound and a soft polishing sponge...
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

springlakebassman

Nitro,

I work in a auto body shop and I have had to buff out some boats for insurance claims.  Normally your problem can be buffed out.  Gel coat is extremely hard and you are going to need a buffer with a wool pad, and a harsh to medium cut compound to start with.  I caution you though do not lean to hard on the buffer just let the compound do the work.  After you get the cloudiness cleared up switch to a light cut compound and work the boat again. If the buffing swirl marks are still heavy and they could be with a black boat you may have to switch to a finishing pad and use a swirl remover, and then wax the boat.  If it sounds like a lot of work it is it is usually a good 4-6 hr. job.  If you have a good detailer in your area to get your boat done shouldn't be any more than $100-$150.  Hope this helps.

Cy

Nitro,
I don't know where you are located but if you are on the west side of MI I have a place that can solve your problem.

Last year my boat was hit by a straight truck.  I had the fiberglass work done at Copper Boat Repair near Kalamazoo.  While it was in the shop I had them buff the whole boat and it looked like new.  I wish I could remember how much the buffing costs, I don't but it was worth every penny.  Call over there and talk Don and ask him what it would cost.

Copper Boat Repair
8135 Douglas Ave
Kalamazoo, MI 49009
(269) 382-2525

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Dan

First off, my first boat never moved without the cover on it. It didn't take long though to get cover marks. With my second boat I took a friends advice and never travel with the cover on. I carry it with me and put it on as soon as I get to where I'm going, unless I'm out on the water of course. I never let it sit outside without the cover on, but never travel with it on. I'd go with CFruel's repair place. I know I'll be giving them a call.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

1javelin

On a side note, I have a white gel coat, and it looks like some places on the boat have been buffed so hard there are black spots coming through.  Not noticeable unless you are right against it.  What do you think this is?  I'm not going through the gelcoat, am I?

1Jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Cy

1Jav,

I'm not sure what the black spots are from but I don't think you are wearing through the gel coat?  The fiber glass isn't normally black under the paint and gel coat.  The black spots might be from ground in dirt and other contaminants.  I know on my white boat when ever I scruff it against something the spot is normally black.  I don't know about you but I don't think I will ever buy another white boat!  It looks good when it is clean but other then that it is a pain.  You might post this question on BBC for a better answer or call Cooper Boat Repair.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

1javelin

thanks for the help Cy, I may do that.