Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:11:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Tournament Registration

Started by skeeterman190, February 13, 2008, 01:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeeterman190

Hey guys first Bfl this year and was wondering if theres anything special I need to know about signing up for tourney. Havent really looked at it but I assume all i really need is my Co-anglers info and all that good stuff? thanks for the input.-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

SethV

You can sign up on line.  Really easy to do.  It sounds like you have a co-angler to sign up with, so all you need is his FLW number, and he needs your FLW number.  Both of you enter each others info when you sign up and you will both be in!

Seth

motocross269

You can register without a Co and add his number later if you aren't linked up...

Revtro

I'm wanting to do a few BFL's this year for the first time, depending on the cash situation.  But being new, I'm unsure about this whole Boater/co-angler thing.  When you link up, you are guaranteed to fish, but it's still a draw right?  Is that how it works?  I hate to sound ignorant, I've just never fished a BFL before. 

I'd like to go as a co-angler so that I can learn from more accomplished people.  Plus, I don't think I can afford the boater costs. 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

SethV

Tom-

You pretty much got it.  When you link up with a boater/co-angler you are both guaranteed to fish.

At the meeting Friday night, there is a random pairings draw.

When you meet your boater or co-angler, you go over meeting times and exchange contact info.  I like to write all of my info on the back of a buisiness card or something so I can just hand it to my co-angler.  That way he does not have to try to write it all down.  Make sure you have a clear landmark or plan to meet in the morning.

The BFL's are a blast.  By far my favorite events!!  Go for all 5 and try to make the regionals.  The regionals are a no entry fee event, with a really great payout.  You also have a chance to make the All American!!!

Tom, you should go as a boater.  You know the water well enough and would do great!

Seth

Revtro

Thanks for the info Seth.  Gosh, I don't know if I know the water well enough.  Thanks for the encouragement though!  I'd love to fish out of my own boat, but I'd hate to feel responsible for giving my CO a bad day because I couldn't get on 'em.  That's one thing that's kept me from fishing many draw tourneys as a boater.  I guess I feel guilty if I can't get my CO on the fish.   Anyone ever feel that way about being a boater?  Have you ever had a CO say to you at the end of the day "You Suck!"? 
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

SethV

I have had days where I was just not on fish - and well, the co-angler just had to deal with a bad draw (me).  That is part of the deal fishing as a co-angler, you have luck of the draw.

Last year, I had 2 of my co-anglers take over the points lead after top 5 finishes out of my boat.  I had 2 others with mid-pack finishes and 1 guy blanked.

I have never really felt guilty about the way my co's finish.  I like them to do well, and I will help them when I can, but it is nothing to feel guilty about.  Just do the best that you can as a boater, fish your stuff and it will all work out.  Most co's know that they will not have 5 perfect draws with boaters on 20 lbs.

I hate not having the front of the boat, and it is also a pain to pack everything that I like to carry with me.  My boat is my floating tackle box, so for me, I really enjoy fishing as a boater.  It is a little more expensive to fish as a boater, but I like to control my own day.

Seth

KG

Revtro,
    I am a co, and I hae been in tournaments before when I haven't even hooked up with a fish. But, that is  the chance that we take as a co. Ultimately I learn from every experience whether I catch'em or not. And to be honest, as a co-angler at any level that should be your main goal. I mean, I definitely don't go to the BFL's to get rich! So, I would say, do your best to put your co on fish, but remember as a co-angler we are out there to learn, and if every experience was great we would never so of the most important aspects of fishing. Don't let your worries about a co, hinder your development in finding the fish.

SethV

Quote from: Revtro on February 26, 2008, 11:20:12 AM
Have you ever had a CO say to you at the end of the day "You Suck!"? 

No, I usually get that when I get home after spending too much time prefishing!!!   :o :o :o :o 

dashaver63

I really enjoyed fishing as a co-angler last year. Let me say this though, just because your boater is not catching fish, does not mean they are not there. I had 4 tournaments last year as a co (not all in BFL's) where my boater did not get a bite and I caught them, one of which was the first day of the Regional. But you guy's that are boaters, I can not say enough how much I appreciated every thing and especially the help and hospitality last year. Looking forward to another season. Revtro, I've never met you personally, but reading your posts, you have more than enough ability and knowledge to be a really good competitive boater in the BFL's.

motocross269

Tom...Here is an offer for you,
I am registered as a Co for the LSC BFL...I will link with you..That way you are gauranteed to get in as a boater..We can pre-fish together(save you on gas) and can hang out at the pre tourney meetings and the AM of the tourney that way I can help you if you have any questions..
I am far from an expert, but once you see how organized the BFLs are and how smooth things usually go any misgivings you have should disappear.
I want to fish as a Co in the BFLs one more year, just to gain a little more experience...I do not have the boat time with my Bass Cat like you do..You will have no problems..
On LSC you might find out the expenses aren't a whole lot more for going as a boater...You won't have any extra lodging expenses for prefishing, you are already on the water alot..As a Co angler you should give your boater at least 40 dollars(for gas) so there is some of the difference in registration expenses right there...
Let me know..
Brian

SethV

Tom, that is a good idea from Brian.  I think you should quit being a sissy and do all 5 of them, but if you only do a few we have 3 of the 5 events that are "home" events.

There are tons of us that you know that fish them, so of course we will help ya out.  That goes for anyone looking to get into the BFL for the first time.  I would be happy to help you out with whatever you need.

Seth

bigjc

Hey Tom,

I was thinking about doing ONLY the Burt/Mullet BFL, so if you take Brian up on his offer for LSC event, I would sign up with you for the BURT/MULLET event.  I could even go up a few days early to pre-fish.

I have fished the BFL as a CO, and it was cool, because I had a great Boater, but it could easily go the other way, especially on the big water.  I told my angler before  we left the dock, "if you drive like an idiot, I will through you out of your own boat."  When we got to our first spot he looked at me and asked, "well how was my driving?"  He was a really good angler and went out of his way to allow me to catch fish.  I had to keep telling him, "dude you just catch your fish and don't worry about me, I am having a good time." 

JC

motocross269

One other thing, as Doug said, don't worry about puting the Co on fish..Last year..If I remember right..The winning Co angler on LSC caught over 20lbs and his boater zeroed...It is fishing...Cast and Blast and I found that out last year on Burt and Mullet..I had caught some fish on Burt and so had he..Well tournament day NOTHING....But we still had fun.
You should take JC up on Burt and Mullet..That is awesome water..
And I am fishing the Super tourney,,,I could also probably be talked into fishing the regular DR tourney also..Don't worry Tom we will have you all set before the tourney season gets here...LOL

LAPORTE

Come on Tom ... You can do it  ;D

LaPorte
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Revtro

QuoteTom, that is a good idea from Brian.  I think you should quit being a sissy and do all 5 of them, but if you only do a few we have 3 of the 5 events that are "home" events.

Ok, now I can't let myself feel like a sissy, so now I have to do it.   ;D ;D ;D

Brian/John, I spoke with my wife last night about trying to come up with the cash up front for the tourneys and it looks like I can swing most of it.  Give me a call or email me and we'll get 'em registered. 

With these offers of pre-fishing, how can I say no?  Thanks guys. 

I can do it, I can do it!   ;)  Uh, I think I can....   :-[
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

SethV

Sweet!!!   ;D  I knew you were not going to be a Girly Man!   ;D ;D

You will have a blast!!  Don't forget to get your wife's permission for the Regionals.  Since you are doing all 5, you can plan on making the regionals.  There you can plan on winning a new Chevy and Ranger.  Then you should set aside the time for the All-American!!   ;D ;D :D :D

Seth

motocross269

Tom... after you win the all-american (100,000) you will be able to go on and fish for 1 million at the Cup...How can your wife not say yes to that??  You may have to switch boat brands though...but as Seth said that won't be a problem since you won a new Ranger at the All American... ;D  Can I be your Manager????  ;D

Revtro

Ha ha!  Now you're talking!  Of course, this will mean I'll have to win a tournament with more than 6 guys in it... never done that before.   ;D

Switch boat brands???  ???  NEVER!  I'll have to use my newfound fame and influence to get FLW to switch to BassCat.  8)  Hear that Forrest?  Give Rick a call and sell FLW to him so I can start getting free BassCats. 

Moto, don't need a manager, but don't worry, I won't forget all the little people who helped me find fame and fortune.  Er.. now what was your name again?
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

LAPORTE

Boy that didn't take to much arm twisting....  ;D ;D ;D  Glad to here your going for it.... Put me on your list for Pefishing... if there is still room. Being a big shooter in all it might be a invite only...  ;D ;D

You will have some fun.  I did my first BFL CO up at burt & Mullet 2 years ago.... what a great time

LAPORTE
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"