Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:47:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Lobdell Lake and another mudhole

Started by djkimmel, September 06, 2016, 10:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Derek and I decided to stay a little closer to home hitting Lobdell Lake on September 1st. What a mistake we made! Lobdell Lake has obviously been weed-bombed hard and has hardly any weeds except some real shallow pads, some real shallow curly scruffy weed I called water celery for no good reason and a few desperate patches of algae grass, mixed grass and very little milfoil.

We had mostly open water to fish, docks which we fished a little but not a lot (out of practice), and some of that curly strandy weed and grass in mostly shallow water areas. The water clarity was maybe 6 to 8 inches everywhere in Lobdell! Very turbid again and not at all like Lobdell of the past!

We started shallow in the morning hoping for a few active cruisers near the old Whites Landing. I was casting away from shore towards a shallow scruffy weed bed when a pretty nice keeper barely got my lucky green shad KVD 1.5 crankbait. It came off on the first jump and I could see it was barely hooked in the lower jaw - not much of a strike and a clue to how the day would go!

I started getting popped every 15 or 20 minutes on the crankbait but not hooking up! Frustrating, and had me wondering at times if I was imaging things!! I was mostly casting away from shore out into open water on the outside side of the boat because when I cast shallower I was not getting bit.

I started paying hard attention to my lure and whenever I felt something I would pause the lure for a split second. Bingo! That did the trick netting me my only keeper of the day on the same lure!

Here's my one keeper I landed from Lobdell Lake. I was reeling the small green shad KVD 1.5 crankbait along when I felt turbulence. I paused the lure and this bass inhaled it on the pause. You can barely see part of the lure sticking out of its mouth because it was headfirst in its throat. A skinny 15-16 incher.

I later was switching between the KVD 2.5 and 1.5 when I caught a pike on a pause right next to the boat on the 2.5. Same thing exactly - I felt turbulence - something off in the vibration of the lure. I paused and the pike slammed into it. I flipped it in the boat just before it sliced my line apart!! Close call!

Derek caught a few dinks dragging various soft plastic lures in deep and shallow water mostly through that grassy algae 'weed' again because regular weeds were almost nonexistent! We tried lots of spots including flats, slow drops and some of the steeper drops with almost nothing to show for it.

We talked about finding some of the wood and fishing that but it was hit and miss really because we couldn't see a foot down in the water in most places except for real shallow sometimes we could see maybe a foot down.

We decided that we are going to try to avoid lakes that have been weed-bombed for awhile now because the fishing stinks on some of these lakes thanks to the over exuberant enriching of weed killers by lake associations. Not going to be easy on some lakes to avoid since the weed treatments are now so common and easy for lake associations to undertake... Better luck next time.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

stackenem

May as well stay away from Kent also. It is the same way there. Went on Labor day and it looks like chocolate milk and there are nothing but dead brown slimy weeds.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

djkimmel

We will stay away then. There has to be some happy medium in this attack on all the weeds, OR a REAL recovery plan that would probably be cheaper in the long run.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.