Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:58:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Global Warming: The Forecast for Michigan's Wildlife Alma College 7PM Jan 15

Started by djkimmel, January 14, 2008, 12:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

djkimmel

Guest Speaker to Discuss Global Warming
The Environmental Studies Program at Alma College and the Velsicol Superfund Community Advisory Group are co-sponsoring a talk Jan. 15th at 7 p.m. in the Heritage Center, Presbyterian Hall, at Alma College by Kelli Alfano, National Wildlife Federation Community Outreach Coordinator.

The title of her talk will be: "Global Warming: The Forecast for Michigan's Wildlife." Admission is free and open to the public.

According to Murray Borrello, coordinator of Alma's environmental studies program, Ms. Alfano will speak to the fact that Michigan's sportsmen and sportswomen need to be knowledgeable about and active in global warming issues. She will present evidence that global warming is changing natural habitats and disrupting migration patterns of game birds and other wildlife.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bigjc

dmills4124

Hey DJ, It's not global warming it's another iceage. Thats what they taught us in the 60's(that's 1960's). If it was iceage then and global warming now what will it be in another 20 or 30yrs? After the snow last night we have been told that the lake bass here will be turning on this week. Our water temp was 55 friday but the cold spell may have set us back a couple of days. All I know is starting tuesday we are on the water for 4 days straight prefishing for tournies.

later ya'll. Stay warm!

don m

Ps; Try burning Al Gores book on global warming to stay warm till its nice enough to go out on the boat.

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bigjc

Actually Dan it gets worse.....according to the Idiots that suggest that "man is causing" global warming.....they also claim that Cows' farting contributes to global warming.

The only thing that is absolutely true about global warming is that Al Gore is making a boat load of money duping the Sheep into believing it.

If any of you really believe that human's are causing global warming then you should sell your truck and boat, and buy a Hybrid and a belly boat, and quit killing the planet.

For the rest of you who are not morons, send a letter to every Democratic Politian that you know of and tell them to support drilling for oil and nuclear power plants right here on our on soil, before it is too late.   ;D

JC

Durand Dan

Quote from: djkimmel on July 05, 2008, 11:23:20 PM
Actually... I think burning books may cause global warming?!?

It seems that in somone's case some very important science books may have hit the incinerator  ::)

Slipkey

Quote from: bigjc on July 25, 2008, 02:14:01 AM
For the rest of you who are not morons, send a letter to every Democratic Politian that you know of and tell them to support drilling for oil and nuclear power plants right here on our on soil, before it is too late.   ;D

Right. Because the ability to navigate the Northwest Passage for the first time in recorded history is all part of a conspiracy by Al Gore and his legion of "morons" and drilling in ANWR for a 75 cent per barrel, long-term, decrease in the price of oil is a better solution than curbing speculation...    ::)

Dan

"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Jay-MadWags

If Al Gore wants us to start driving hybrids and conserving energy. . .
He should stop driving around the U.S. in his luxery jet and start riding his bike to work.  Lead by example Al.

He is such an idiot moron!
But I think someone else already said that.

Jay-MadWags
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

cr

Just because the north-west passage is open does not mean man is causing Global-Warming . This whole region was covered with glaciers at one time and now where are they ? Was that mans fault too ? Too many Neanderthal camp fires I supose ? I , for one, refuse to take advice from Chicken-Little types who cant spell potato . Yes the earth is getting warmer , but it has been for millions of years ,IMO, .....CR

Durand Dan

I , for one, refuse to take advice from Chicken-Little types who cant spell potato .

Wasn't Dan Quayle the one who can't spell potatoe?

cr

OOP's, my bad, LOL. AL claimed he invented the internet , right ?

djkimmel

I have and always will make it my life's work to put out real data whenever possible that has nothing to do with who's party you believe in and/or who's party you hate, or who the messenger is. All I know for sure right now is knowledge has never hurt anyone in the long run, although it sometimes makes people very unhappy (and sometimes me or others who like to try to kill the old wives tales and misinformation very unpopular).

Too many of life's important decisions and beliefs are based on things other than fact and data. Drives ... me... crazy!!! WE are our own worst enemies. And it has to stop. We are the greatest country, but I fear we are headed in the wrong direction more often than the right.

bigjc

Quote from: djkimmel on September 21, 2008, 12:39:45 PM
I have and always will make it my life's work to put out real data whenever possible that has nothing to do with who's party you believe in and/or who's party you hate, or who the messenger is.

I agree Dan, the earth seems to have been in a warming cycle for the last few years, but A) this is nothing new; the earth has been going through warming and cooling trends, for as long as we have been recording weather data.  B) There is no evidence, at all, that man has influenced weather trends.  The earth went through similar warming trends during the 19th century, and then by 1970's, scientists were predicting another Ice Age.  The biggest proponents of this notion seems to be those who are making money off of it, or those who blindly follow them.

How many laws have been passed that have hurt the U.S. economy with little or no factual basis.  How about CAFE Standards that have had a huge negetive impact on U.S. auto makers, or restrictions on refrigerants such as R-12 and now R-22, that have and will continue to cost us all unnessisarly, based on the notion that man is destroying the Ozone.  I agree Dan, lets see the data and the facts, just the facts, but not a bunch of left-wing jargon, that we are all just supposed to acccept as fact, because Space Cadet Capt. Al Gore says that "the debate is over."

Durand Dan

My question is, "Why wouldn't someone think that dumping trillions of tons of pollutents into the atmosphere, oceans and landfills would not have an adverse effect on the earth?"  ??? Just a question, no contrived facts to confuse anyone. ;D

djkimmel

Man has massive impact on the Earth and massive responsibility to figure out what to do about it and then do it. Natural events are somewhat out of our control, but we have also worsened many events by our poor stewardship of the planet for various reasons.

We know there will always be people who think of themselves first over everything else and I believe we need the 'crazy left-wingers' to offset the greedy make-money-at-all costs right-wingers (I don't actually agree on most labeling we humans do, but there seems to be no escape from it). It's us smart, moderate people in the middle who actually care enough to have any hope (and desire) to do the actual right thing.

Dan

Well put DK. Democracies only exist where there is a strong, educated, middle class. Complacency, historically, has been the downfall of democracies. I'm afraid this country may have slipped some in to that complacency mode and will need a course change to awaken from the slumber. It's not too late, but the news of late needs to spur us to action. We need to have a strong middle class majority making decisions rather that a small vocal minority running things. We need to all get involved and get out and vote.
There are more and more countries that are wanting a slice of our captialistic society that has made us prosperous. They're willing to do whatever it takes in terms of work to get their piece. Those eager beavers use to come and get educated in our universities in math and science and then stayed to help fill the void that has been created by a steady drop in our own graduates in that area. Now those folks are moving back overseas because they can use the internet to create their competing businesses. If you want a good read I recommend  a book by Thomas Friedman ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_is_Flat ) It is very interesting and gives what I think is a very good historical perspective of how and why things are changing and what will need to happen for us to stay ahead of the game to compete in today's world. It's not a global warming expose. I would call it  a laymans book on today's economics picture. Very interesting.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

djkimmel

Whatever we can for good, I'm all for. I can't remember how many times I've come up against defeatist attitudes ('never happen in a millions years so why bother'), but if we all give in to that, we definitely all lose. Even one person can make a difference (and does every day if you look around enough).

Durand Dan

Dan and Dan K.,
The book Dan mentioned. The World is Flat, defiantly sheds light on the globalization of civilization. A great read for someone looking for an understanding of world commerce and how it's spreading the competition around the globe.