Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:19:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Lowrance LMS 350a help

Started by Andy, October 31, 2007, 10:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Ok guys, I have a LMS 350a this unit is 10 years old and is showing its age. The screen on the unit has a fog almost milky color to it. I have herd of foks cleaning the screens but how thay do it I dont know. Now I also have the same unit that will not turn on but it has a very clear screen. Is there a way to clean up the screen or is there a way to open up the units and swap out the screens.
Also is there a way one can reboot or reformat these units?????
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Thanks Andy

Slipkey

Andy,

Based on your description, I'm not entirely sure of the nature of the discoloration.

Is it condensation, by any chance?  If so, unhooking the unit and putting it outside for a few hours, with the sun shining directly on the screen, should burn off the moisture.

If it's not condensation,  the problem is a bit more tricky.  You can switch out the screen on the unit by removing the screws (I can't remember if the 350 uses small phillips or hex screws) from the back of the unit, disassembling, and swapping out the parts, but you need to be very careful.

You will lose a measure of waterproofing on the unit if you disassemble since you will break the seal used to waterproof during the initial assembly.  You also need to be very careful putting the unit back together since things are tightly packed.  Make sure your cable connections are lined up and that they re-seal properly. 

It's very unusual for the inside of the screen to get any discoloration apart from condensation.  If it is something besides condensation, it may be a sign that the unit is no longer waterproof and that corrosion is occurring somewhere on the main board.

FYI, the plastic screen on your unit can easily be cleaned with a product like Meguiar's Clear Plastic Cleaner and a soft cloth like a cotton dish towel.

Andy

It is not on the inside it is on the outside of the outer screen. I have tryed the Meguiars with limmited success. Im not sure but could this be reel bad sun fade.
As I look at the unit there are no screws showing on the unit anywere.

Slipkey

Quote from: Andy on October 31, 2007, 02:53:07 PM
It is not on the inside it is on the outside of the outer screen. I have tryed the Meguiars with limmited success. Im not sure but could this be reel bad sun fade.
As I look at the unit there are no screws showing on the unit anywere.

Hmm.  The 350 must be a friction-fit case, then.  Sorry.  That's even worse to try and disassemble.  You might not be able to swap out screens without serious damage to the housing. Since the fogginess is on the outside, let me ask a couple more questions.  I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase, but:

1. Can you scratch the foggy layer at all with your fingernail or thin it out?

2. Does the discoloration feel rough compared to the clear areas?

Based on your answers above I have a couple of ideas that may work:

- If you can scratch the foggy layer off at all or thin it with your fingernail, take a paper towel and soak it in vinegar.  Lay the paper towel out on the screen and rub it flat onto the screen so that it is flush against the entire plastic screen.  Let it sit for about 10-15 minutes.  Remove the paper towel, wipe clean, and repeat if necessary.

- If the surface doesn't scratch but is rough to the touch, Zymol makes a product called HD Cleanse which is the best fiberglass/paint/plastic restorer I've ever seen.  You can find it at some Auto Zone stores and a few other auto parts shops.  They just started making a "Screen and Lens Clean" product too but I haven't tried it and it looks like it's pretty much the same thing HD Cleanse.    You can try applying it solo and see if it is able to restore the plastic.  I've used it on motorcycle helmets and GPS screens with great success in the past.  Use it by itself first.

If the above fails, a last resort may be to wet-sand the screen edges using 1500 grit sandpaper, finishing with 2000 grit and buffing to a shine with the HD Cleanse. A friend of mine used it to successfully restore the wind-screens on his 82 Ranger to like-new but it would be a bit trickier on a GPS screen since you can't apply much pressure to buff out the fine scratches that the sandpaper makes.  It's a slow process and I'd recommend it only if you really want to spend the time doing it.

Also, I missed your question on reformatting eariler.  You can do what's called a "Preset" on the unit which restores everything back to the factory settings but leaves your waypoints intact by doing the following:

"Press the MENU key until the "Preset Sonar and GPS"
label appears. Press the key next to that label. The menu screen
disappears and the LMS-350A returns to the GPS position screen. All
units will be returned to their factory settings."

Andy

Thanks I will try them two and see what happens. I reely do not want to open up the case only as the last resort.

Thanks again and I will let ya know of the outcome.      Andy

REEL_MAN

Andy,

I have a used 350A that I replaced a couple of years ago for my brother in law. He didn't want it and I sure don't need it. I can make you a VERY VERY Very good deal on it. If you can't get the screen cleaned on our present unit PM me with your address and I'll just send it to you.

REEL_MAN

Andy

Well Slipkey:
You Rock the vinager thing worked VERY WELL Got all of the what ever was on my screen off. It took 4 trys but it all came off. Finished it off with some Meguires and good as new. Once again a BIG THANKYOU ---  Andy

Slipkey

Andy.  You're welcome.  Glad to help. :)