Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:19:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

deka batteries ?

Started by capt charlie's charters, December 21, 2015, 01:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt charlie's charters

wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Deka battery that is advertised on this site and if so, which model ?

21XDC

Deka makes a good battery, but bigger is always better. Shop for the most "RC" Reserve Capacity that you can fit into your boat. Even if this means you need to get bigger battery trays. Deep Cycle batts are a great choice for a cranking battery, As long as it has atleast the min MCA/CCA that your outboard requires. Many times people only shop for MCA/CCA in a cranking battery and they don't have the min RC for their motors specs.

Having more RC and MCA/CCA than you need, actually buys you more lifecycles and years of service.

The best bang for the buck is the Everstart Maxx 29 made by Johnson controls, Sold at WalMart for $100 ish. I get 4-5 years from them in troller and cranking service. 205 min RC and more MCA than my motor needs. Some motors require more than others.
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

dartag

I am on my 2nd set of Deka's.  First ones lasted 5 years.  I have the 31 series for trolling motor and 24M7 1000 amp for cranking and electronics.  They are made by East Penn Battery Company.  I use mine at least 3 times a week all summer.  Can't go wrong with either battery. 

fishstick

I have had good luck with the 31 series batteries. I got 3 years out of the first set, and 2 years out of the 2nd. Which is better than I was getting with some other brands. They take a lot of hard use so I will probably be putting another set in the boat this spring.

djkimmel

I run my Deka Batteries 5 seasons a set. I did that when I was fishing 130+ days a year and now when I'm not fishing so many days a year. I had full power at the end of long days fishing still with the dual purpose 31 size Marine Masters. And they were still working good when I turned them in at the end of 5 seasons to swap out for a new set.

I like that they are always made by the same U.S. company - East Penn in Pennsylvania. Most battery 'brands' are not made by the company brand but by someone else somewhere else. There aren't that many battery companies but I like to know who is making the batteries I put in my boat, truck, car, etc. and if I buy a 'brand' that doesn't actually manufacture batteries I can't always be sure who made them that year, that model, that size - they may have 2 or 3 different companies make their 'brand' at times.

I had bad luck at times with batches of store brand batteries because they weren't made by the same company year to year, or they just weren't made as well by the same standards until I switched to Deka over 15 years ago. Now I know my batteries are always made the same way by the same people at East Penn. I have had excellent luck with batteries ever since and I don't look back. :)

Batteries are one area where you want to try to get the best quality you can afford because you don't want to be out of juice at a critical or important moment. I don't anyway. Been there in the distant past and I don't want to go back there.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

YpsiBass

The issue I have with Deka is availability.  They're only available in Sterling Heights or something right?

djkimmel

I'm not sure all of the SE Michigan locations but if you call the local headquarters they can tell you where else you can buy them (http://dekabatteries.com/contact/where-to-buy/).

EAST PENN
6023 Progress Drive
Sterling Heights, MI 48312
Phone: 586-979-5300

Call the Sterling Heights store and they can tell you all of the stores that carry them closer to you. I know some of the big box stores carry Deka and places like D&R Sports so I imagine there are other locations like that in SE Michigan that also carry Deka Batteries hopefully closer to your location.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

21XDC

2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

djkimmel

See... if I just by Deka then I don't need a list :) :D

Waterfoul

Quote from: YpsiBass on December 23, 2015, 06:00:18 PM
The issue I have with Deka is availability.  They're only available in Sterling Heights or something right?

All West Marine locations carry Deka Batteries made by East Penn.  They just have a WM label on them.  It's all I've ever run in my boat.  Batteries Plus used to carry them as well, but I noticed that they are now selling several other brands as well.  Not sure if they are still selling the Dekas.

I'm currently running two DC 27 series deep cycles for my 24 volt Fortrex.  One has 4 full seasons, the other one 5 seasons.  They still power me thru a full 8 hour tournament without issue.  I run the M6 27 as a starting/electronics battery.  This is a high reserve starting battery recommended by Mercury Marine for all their Fuel Injected, OPTI, and Verado motors because of it's 1050 cranking amps and 182 reserve minute rating.  I run 3 fish finders and 4 livewell pumps on this battery and have never had it fail to start my motor in 3 seasons.  I fish at least 3-4 times a week most weeks in the summer so these batteries get a work out for sure. 

Even if I didn't work where I work, I'd still use and recommend Deka batteries.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

dartag

Discount Battery has them.  One store 1/2 mile south of my house.  3 other stores in this area.   

BIGSHOW

I buy them at boaters value in Wyandotte. I need to get one myself. My new boat has 5 batteries so I'm gonna try to stagger the years I  change them. Hopefully just one a year.