Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:17:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Big Outboard

Started by waltk, November 03, 2015, 12:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltk

Knowing that the max speed on inland lakes is 55 is it worth getting a 200HP outboard if I cannot legally use it. Don't want to be disqualified for not follow the Michigan rules?

Waterfoul

But on Lake St. Clair and any other great lakes waters you can go as fast as you want.  Plus... unless you get a ticket I don't know any bass club that will DQ you for going fast.  How would they prove it anyway, no one I know owns a radar gun (well that's not true but those guys run over 100 mph in their go fast boats!!).

Go big or go home!  You'll also find that the 200 will get you on plane a lot easier than a lesser HP motor, especially with full livewells.  No one ever wishes they had less HP.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

YpsiBass

Also, just because you CAN go faster than 55 MPH doesn't mean you have to, but it's nice knowing that you can.  I rarely go over 40 in my boat because the gas monster is thirsty, but sometimes it's fun to go 60+.  Some guys on this board go 80+ and that's a different kind of fun.

waltk

Every Sheriff boat has a radar gun. I was even told by a local sheriff(west side of the state) that they are stepping up checks because of the easy prey boaters are.

Waterfoul

I honestly think you're making an issue out of something that has been a non-issue for anyone I know (and in my business I know a LOT of boaters, literally thousands).  Not one of the Kent County boats has a radar gun.  Those guys are in my store all the time and I know most of them well.

Radar guns don't work well if a boat is rocking up and down and moving with the waves.  Unreliable at best.  They need to be fairly stationary to work well on the water.  In fact, they will often read the wave tops.  Now laser... that's a different story.

I wouldn't put it past the LEO's on Hardy Pond to have a radar gun though since that seems to be a place where guys like to bring their go-fast boats.  Plus, I do not know a single bass fisherman who has ever even been approached by a LEO about speed.  On a lake like Wabasis that has a 35 mph speed limit at all times it's pretty easy to tell if someone is speeding, and Kent County patrols it on a daily basis.  But I do not believe they have every actually issued a speeding ticket out there, at least none of the officers have ever told me about writing one.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!