Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 03:48:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Slip sinker soft plastic rig questions

Started by FrickerDude, June 24, 2015, 01:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrickerDude

I started fishing this rig a couple years ago and find myself fishing it 80% of the time now with various creature baits like the pit boss, structure bug, kinky beaver etc. I have never tried to peg the weight, so my question is... When is a good time to peg the weight or not peg the weight? Also any other tips on fishing this rig are welcome. I enjoy fishing this rig on and in weed lines in 4' to 12' of water most of the time and seems to produce pretty good.
Thanks
FrickerDude

fishstick

TimH

If you are truly pegging the sinker, I would suggest switching to using bobber stoppers.  I used to use the rubber pegs for a while, but lost several fish due to the line breaking at the weight.  I suspect it was from abrasion caused by the peg being pushed tight in the weight.  Since I switched to bobber stoppers,  I haven't lost a fish.  I also find the bobber stoppers slip through the weeds much better, where the peg would create a slight catching point.
I mainly pitch pit boss and bullet craws and honestly, I always have my weight rigged tight to the bait.  However, I do find that if I have a worm on, I like to give about 6" - 8" of line for the bullet weight to move around.  My only other tip is, if you haven't tried a Nemesis Bullet Craw, you owe it to yourself to do so.  They are fantastic baits.

djkimmel

I like the bobber stops idea, especially for more versatility of moving it. I keep losing them though (the pack of bobber stops). I have to come up with a way to make sure I can find those little packs every time I need them... :)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

FrickerDude

Thanks Fishstick and TimH for the insight
FrickerDude

TimH

Quote from: djkimmel on June 25, 2015, 09:31:52 AM
I like the bobber stops idea, especially for more versatility of moving it. I keep losing them though (the pack of bobber stops). I have to come up with a way to make sure I can find those little packs every time I need them... :)

Dan,  I had the same problem until I starting storing them in my terminal tackle box.  To make sure they don't vanish, I keep them under all my weighted tube hooks.  That way I have physically dig them out and cover them up each time I use them.  Seems like a pain, but I am yet to loose them since doing this.

Waterfoul

Jeff's article pretty much sums it up.  And man does it hurt to say he's right!  LOL!!   ;)
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!