Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:15:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Band-Wagon Biologists

Started by t-bone, April 23, 2015, 09:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-bone

Joe Balog provides more of the truth - nice to get more accurate views out to the public

http://www.bassfan.com/opinion_article.asp?ID=1316#.VTj48iFVikp
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

dartag

One of the better articles he has written. 

djkimmel

He did a pretty good job on that. Other states have made exception rules to encourage more bass fishing opportunity and after a short time the 'uproar' always ends. We knew going that route here would be almost impossible but that's the route the MDNR Fisheries Division went anyway. We tried our best to get maximum new opportunity. We'll keep working on it.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

spinnerbation

I'm currently discussing this topic on another forum and it's not going very well! There is a LOT of opposition from Ontario Anglers about early open seasons and I honestly can't understand it! We female dog and moan female dog and moan female dog and moan about how crowded our lakes are in the summer, how short the seasons are and how much schedule conflict there is with local tours.

Then when a topic comes up suggesting early open seasons everyone loses their minds because a few thousand (on a busy day) meager bass anglers will wreck the great lakes fisheries with bass populations well into the 10's of millions (on St Clair alone if what I've read is correct). I just don't understand it.

Even more ironic, funny, whatever you want to call it is many of these SAME PEOPLE are arguing that Global Warming is a hoax and Man couldn't possibly affect environmental change through our activities. I won't get into that debate but again find it funny that on one hand they feel that 6-8 Billion people have no effect on climate, but are adamant that our bass anglers will wreck a fishery with thousands of square miles of fishable water by raiding nests. So do we have an impact on our environment not?

djkimmel

People believe whatever they want to sometimes rather than checking to see if they need to buy a clue. People almost universally fear change at some level no matter what. There are people willing to make money off or play with that fear too so it's always an uphill battle. The people susceptible to these kinds of things are usually championing cherry-pickers too choosing on the parts of any information out there that suits there limited, change-aversion frame of mind.

Most anglers release most of their bass so some of our 'regulations' on bass just limit fishing opportunity because the high voluntary release rate is keeping bass populations numerous and healthy across a lot of their range. I'm betting people are much more likely to keep gills, perch and walleye, and probably pike too in Ontario than they are bass fairly similar to how they do it here in Michigan.

Many anglers say they are worried about more harvest which is pretty weak considering most anglers don't harvest bass. What some of these people have a problem with is they don't like bass tournaments so they oppose a longer bass season to try to keep bass tournament anglers from enjoying their version of the sport more often.

Bass tournaments are not harming our bass populations all over the place. That's simply not accurate to say that. Bass tournament anglers made the catch and release ethic as popular as it is nowadays. Bass populations generally cycle up and down some normally whether there are bass tournaments around or not because of environmental factors - that is what the majority of the studies have shown - that bass fishing is not a significant factor for the bass population in part due to the CIR ethic practiced by the majority.

It's handy to make a target of bass tournaments in the North especially because we stick out and we're an easy target for the fear of change and the anti's. But it is inaccurate to blame bass tournaments of negative population effects. Bass tournaments have grown in popularity while our bass fishing has continued to improve at the same time due mostly to factors that have nothing to do with regulations or fishing (invasive species, improved water quality, more forage, better habitat).

Michigan hasn't closed the bass spawn now for 9 years statewide and 45 years the bass spawn has been open to harvest in Northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula yet anglers like myself go up there now because the bass fishing is so freaking amazing. The bass fishing is far better now than it was in the 1980s when I first started going North myself despite more bass tournaments, despite better equipment, information and technology.

Neither Minnesota or Wisconsin close their bass spawn either. Their closed seasons just coincide with the cold water period. It says right on the Minnesota DNR website for both smallmouth and largemouth bass that the number of bass beds generally does not correlate to the number of new bass brought into the population each year.

Bass are very prolific spawners being the largest member of the panfish family, and generally produce an excess of new bass each year despite fishing, despite nest predation. Measurable impacts on overall young of the year production are generally tied to factors often out of our control such as weather (wind in the spring on Lake Erie for example) and water temps throughout the season - if it is colder later in the year and the young bass do not get large enough a lot less of them survive their first winter regardless of how many hatched originally.

You can have a huge hatch but poor new recruitment (new bass into the population for the next year) due to weather and water conditions. You can have a poor hatch and still have good recruitment if conditions the rest of the year are favorable - either case despite anglers fishing beds because bass are so prolific and resilient. That is why now only 2 states have a statewide closed bass season, and couple other states have closed seasons for most or part of their state. Fishing during the spawn is not correlated directly to the annual recruitment.

Zero studies have shown that and even the 'new' 20-year study a local non-biologist paper columnist (not a reporter, an opinionated editorialist) only said it MIGHT have a population effect. You could just as easily say it might not based on the same results, and considering all the studies that have show it doesn't this is just one more researcher who wants to show something no one else has more than study things that might actually make a difference for fisheries management.

Anglers fishing is good for bass fishing in the long run. People who don't want other people to fish more for bass either don't understand how fisheries management is paid for or they just don't like bass tournaments and/or people who do want to fish more. I tell them the same thing every time - don't fish if you don't like to do it, but DON'T tell me I can't do it either. Make your personal choice and leave me alone to make my personal choice. Don't expect me to think exactly like you because I have my own brain and I can easily see there is no correlation between bass fishing any particular time of the year verses any other, and the bass population. I want to fish more and the bass can handle it easily.

What I love the most about this long, tired, drawn out battle and argument is that every single one of the persons who fights against you and me bass fishing more is right out there next to us fishing during the spring and fishing spawning bass as soon as they can too. What does that say about their convictions? I say it says their convictions are pretty weak.

I've been listening to these people and watching them go fishing anyway for over 30 years. I will continue to give what time I can to getting the rest of us the maximum bass fishing wise use opportunity we can have by forcing the use of sound science by real bass biology experts not this pseudo-science social, emotional, what-people-think (or their personal prejudice and 'I can do it but you can't' NIMBY bull-pucky) that still withholds opportunity the rest of us individual, self-aware persons know we can have. And those people that fight so hard against us will be out there fishing right along side of us too - so much for their convictions...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Jay-MadWags

Dan I agree with you and thanks again for all the passionate hard work that you do for the good of fishing.
Jay-Mad of "Team MadWags"
Jason Madigan

djkimmel

Thanks Jay and you are welcome.