Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:57:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

lighting regulations and power poles

Started by bob o, March 30, 2015, 12:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob o

since the power pole is the tallest point on your boat should your anchor light me mounted on the top if it? i don't have a power pole just wondering.

dartag

Talons have a pretty blue light the top.   Looked at a bunch of photos and didn't see a light on any of them.  Good question though.

Manxfishing

By law
the white 360 view light just needs to be higher then the side lights (red/green)
there's nothing about the highest point on the boat

https://www.boat-ed.com/michigan/studyGuide/Lights-Required-for-Power-Driven-Vessels-When-Underway/10102301_700054432

thedude

West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

t-bone

That is awesome but isn't that going be submerged when deployed?
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Manxfishing

Terry,

LED's are waterproof, Just need to keep the connection above the water line

Waterfoul

Law enforcement officers will tell you it needs to be higher than the red/green on the bow AND high enough to be seen from the front of the boat, despite what the regs may say.  I would agree with them... as long as you can see it from the front of the boat you should be fine.  The blue lights on top of the Talons do not qualify as navigation lights and in fact, I know some guys who cover them up so people can't tell when they are deployed... no sense in giving away your spots!!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

thedude

yes it wouldn't work to use the power poles in the dark. not really a concern for me however. i could count on 1 hand the number of times that might have ever been an issue in the past, in the future, i've always got the original pole light, so this works 99% of the time (legally speaking)
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Rangerman

Well here goes with both feet in :D Federal Law that Red and Green Nav lights are to show 112 degrees Port Red/Green Starboard to 22 degrees abaft beam :D What that says to Bass Bubba's any red and green made for night navigation is legal. Now this is where it get alittle sticky. Rear Light White must be show 360 degrees. Nothing in the law about the highest point. The highest point gets into vessels over 50 Gross Tons. No  light on Power Pole or Talon is required unless you run into a wet behind the ears DNR officers. Sure the pole does block some of the 360 but the light can still be seen anywhere within 360 degrees. Confused yet. The law is written that way. Guys about any factory set of navigation light comply. Had to learn all this red tape mess for Captains License. Most is it is common sense. For you guys up yonder you are required to carry flares on Navigable Water which includes LSC. Federal Law. I understand MI does not check for it but is Federal Law. Believe me you have NEVER had a ticket til you get a USCG Safety Violation. Fines start at about $500.00. See you boys again in June during the catch and release for another two weeks on LSC. Y'all got a great fishery please protect it. Y'all come on down to North Carolina in the winter our water does not get hard and the fish bite great all winter long and no closed season. Coarse we do catch an release most of the time except for the perch, Hybids and other stuff. We don't have many toothy fish so you can throw the high dollar baits :D :D