Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 01:35:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Teach A Child To Fish - Huge Kids Fishing Derby in St. Louis June 9

Started by djkimmel, June 05, 2007, 11:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

djkimmel

A free fishing event - this Saturday, June 9, 2007 in St. Louis Michigan, the St. Louis Free Fishing Derby will run from 9 AM until Noon fishing followed by awards for the kid and food for everyone involved. I'll be there baiting hooks and tying knots for the kids at Lippien Park on the Pine River, and then giving a brief talk at the end of the fishing while the closing activities are wrapped up and food is prepped.

This is a huge event that hosted almost 500 kids last year according to derby chairman Joe Scholtz. Could sure use any experienced angler's help Saturday if you want to make a lasting difference in a child's life. Hang out. Answer questions. Tie a knot or two. Bait some hooks. The event will be totally catch-and-release because of Pine River restrictions, but the fishing is good - hundreds of fish are caught - all kinds including many gamefish.

Here's directions from helper Randy Graham:
The name of the park is, Lippien Park.  If you take US-127 to the M-46 exit, you will go east about 2 1/2 miles.  You will pass a big church on your right (south) hand side.  Just pass the church you start going down hill and you will be able to see the bridge and river from there.  Right before the bridge (and river) you'll turn right.  The river and park will be on your left.  Go 1 block and turn left and the entrance to the Park will be the next left.  I'm sure there will be plenty of kids around, so you can't miss it.

Great community! Great event! An excellent example of the kinds of things all anglers need to consider for the future of our sport. If you have any questions and think you might be able to help, contact me as soon as possible - Dan Kimmel, 517-882-8902, djkimmel at greatlakesbass.com

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Eric

I fished there one night here last year and the director of this event was there watching us.  (I was lucky enough to catch my limit right in front of him in 18 minutes and went on to win by 7.5 pounds).  He seemed like a super guy and told tons of great stories.  I vowed to myself that night to do whatever I could to support this event.  During the tournament, he went home and got old newspaper clippings of past events (and tried to tell me where and how to fish).  They (him and his daughter if I remember) solicit donations for the event, and the response has been so overwhelming it makes their house nearly uninhabitable from all of the product they have waiting to be given to kids.  Barring some catastrophe, I will be there.   
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

JCOOPER

Dan,

I see "St Louis" and my first thought is how does Dan know about this and I dont???  I forget that I am not the only St. Louis in the world. 
I am a pre bred mix between a ninja and a polar bear.  A truly deadly combination.

djkimmel

I feel like I'm everywhere sometimes, but just as in reality that I'm truly a small fish in a really big pond, I'm talking about the small St. Louis, not the big St. Louis ;D

Hey Josh, since your already 'there' why don't you swing over and help out???  :D ::)

Eric, I look forward to seeing you there. It sounds big, exciting and a good workout.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

JCOOPER

I was "so there" for a minute!  But I will probably skip out on this one Dan.
I am a pre bred mix between a ninja and a polar bear.  A truly deadly combination.

Eric

What a day!  Perfect weather, plenty of fish, great prizes and food.  Even a celebrity sighting (the world famous Lt Dan). 

The day started out with everyone checking in, or registering if they hadn't.  Everyone was welcome regardless of equipment or skill levels.  If someone wanted to fish, but had nothing, no problem.  There were loaner rods & reels, fully stocked tackle boxes, and plenty of instruction & assistance.  Oh yeah, 96 dozen night crawlers, too.

Everyone picked their spots on the bank and at 9, everyone had at it.  Each fish caught was measured and weighed, then recorded on the anfler's back tag.  There was plenty of opportunity to assist with rigging rods, tying knots, baiting hooks, casting rods, untangling messes, re-rigging and re-tying etc.  You should see the mess a 10 pound carp makes of 30 peoples' fishing lines as it runs up & down the bank like crazy as a 9 year old girl tries to keep from getting pulled into the river (oh yeah, forget to say holding rods while little girls try to reel in big fish).  Of course, everyone wanted to talk, shake hands, tell fish stories, take pictures, etc.  Never went without someone to talk to all day.  It was great.   

At noon, everyone stopped fishing and it was lunchtime.  The staff had prepared hotdogs, chips, homemade cookies and lots of water.  As lunch was completed, it was time for the awards.  When I thought we were wrapping up, I went to say goodbye, shake hands, and see ya next year.  I was wrong.  There were LOTS more awards to be given out, and Joe thought I needed to be the one to do it.  By the time we were done, every participant got an award, from fishing equipment to lawn chairs to shirts, and everything else.  It was awesome. 

When we were really done, more picture taking and hand-shaking.  There were entire families that wanted their pictures taken with us, as well as the event organizers, and others. 

Once on the road headed home and looking back at the day, it was long, hot, tiring, and dirty.  But it was worth every second of it.  Huge kudos to Joe and his staff, Dan, and all of the sponsors that make this event what it is.  I will certainly be back, and i would encourage everyone else that can to do so as well.
www.BassinWithEric.com

djkimmel

There were 3 main locations with several hundred people total. I noticed one very interesting thing - the young ladies in all age groups KICKED BUTT!!! Probably took a good 2/3s of the fishing prizes! Very impressive.

It was a definite example of why fishing is a great sport - so many people of all ages and capabilities present to demonstrate how fishing is truly for everyone.

The staff did a fantastic job and the entire community is involved. I'll have a bunch of pictures to post in a week or two on the event. The town was especially excited to have Ranger Boats involved this year and showed their appreciation in many ways.

It makes me proud to be involved at any level with a company that has excellent family values and understands what the important things really are, and takes the time, effort and cost to show it when possible.

djkimmel

Eric,
It was so nice to see you take the time to be involved too, and handle it so professionally. I heard you giving an interview and I thought you sounded like full-time pro who's been doing it for years and years. Made me sound like the journeyman.

You were pretty handy with the mike too, and seemed like you'd been involved for years the way all the people reacted to you. Very impressive.

Eric

Thanks for the kind words, Dan.  I have a little bit of experience dealing with the public and being in front of crowds.  I work full time as a paramedic for the county and part time for a local police department.  I also teach emergency medicine and criminal justice at the community college here, so I am very comfortable in that type of setting.  I take great pride in my public interaction "skills" and try to always make sure that I represent the bass community as a whole in a positive reflection.  Some day it will pay off, and I will get "noticed" I hope and attract some nice sponsorship.
www.BassinWithEric.com

Joe S

I new it would only be a matter of time before I found where Dan and Eric were at. Thank you to both of you. You guys made this event so enjoyable for all. I just picked up the last news articles tonight and will have packages on the way to you both in the next couple of days. Any changes,comments, or new ideas to make this event even bigger or better would be much appreciated.

Joe S

Eric

Thanks, Joe.  I really look forward to getting the articles and CDs.  I think they should be there today when I get home from work.

Dan, we've been found.  Back to acting serious, now OK.  We don't want people who think we're OK guys, to find out the truth, do we?
www.BassinWithEric.com

djkimmel

no no no... ;D

I'm glad to see Joe here. One of the best run events I've seen and Joe has made it a major part of his life. That says a lot about someone, and all the other volunteers, Randy, etc. too!