Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:17:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

deep cranking!

Started by korean_bassmaster, March 18, 2014, 12:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skulley

Quote from: Manxfishing on January 14, 2015, 06:09:10 PM
Nice Bill
Only fish Chemung once and never really had plans for going back
But now I think I'll give it a shot again. I plan on working on cranks allot more this year
It's close to the house with with a decent ramp.

Always happy to help if I have knowledge of a lake. I first went to Chemung for a Sunday Morning Tournament that was run by some guys that fished Belleville on Tuesday Nights back in the early 90's.......when I was much younger and more handsome. lol  8) ::) Anyway, I caught one on a buzz bait shallow early as well as a lot of boils on it. Later in the day, my partner started catching them on the ledges deep with cranks. I put on a worm and started catching a few but my partner was doing well on the crank. At the end of the tourney we had like 18lbs and cashed a check. I caught only 3 keeps but my partner had caught like 10 or 12 keeps. It was a hot partly sunny day with temps in the high 70's at 6am and 90+ at the noon weigh-in. A few weeks later I went back and decided I wanted to figure out Chemung because it was tough on me. I went with deep divers and buzz baits and tore them up. Every time I go to Chemung through the summer season July/August, that's what I do there. Ive done pretty well most times. I've never been there in the fall nor have I ever been there in the spring. It's been a few years since I've been there, but I'm sure deep cranks still work. Those steep drops hold those warm weather largies. Learning to do that technique on Chemung helped me on the steep drops of Belleville, Ford, Cass, to name a few as well as any other lake with steep drops. Let us know how you do and have fun!!

BD.                            ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

bigjc

Quote from: Mojo on January 14, 2015, 11:31:28 AM
Quote from: UAWBigDog on January 14, 2015, 07:56:42 AM
If you don't like it, I'll buy it off you for $40. I have several of those rods. I also throw small cranks on a shorter version. I actually have 3 lengths. I started using them when Browning was putting David Fritts name on them. Really like them. American Rodsmith now makes the David Fritts model. Still glas and still good crank bait rods.
BD.                          ;D

I'll second the Dave Fritts crankin sticks for rattle traps, small cranks up to 14 fow. Just a WOW stick, and I was lucky to not have a single fish come unbuttoned with this rod.... Helps of course being taught how to 'walk your hookset back' when you hook a treble baited bass by Mr. Wagonsomer. Man he was good.

Is that David Fritts rod, formerly my David Fritts rod, that you speak of???
LOL

Skulley

It is now formerly a David Fritts rod if it's a Browning Silaflex. I have Browning Silaflexes when Fritts' name was on it after he won the classic on Seminole cranking. That's when the rod got real popular.

BD                             ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

bigjc

I think that he may be referring to a rod that he acquired from me at a swap meet at BobO's.

Hollada

Joe Balog "walking the hook set"

Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

djkimmel

Except he only went 1 for 2 - that's 50%. Maybe he should have 'walked' faster ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

I think he would have landed the first fish if he had used a different hook set technique.

BD.                ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Mike S.

I have one of the Skeet Reese fiberglass 7' 11" cranking rods with a Revo Winch for deep cranks. I can effortlessly fish with the 10 xd's with that setup. I believe the reel is a 5.4:1 year ratio. That lower ratio allows the bait to dig to find its depth. It just took me a minute to realize that you can't give it a monster hook set, and you can't horse the fish to the boat.

Skulley

A lot of times I set the hook by just turning my hips.  Most of the time that pretty much gets the hook in em.  That turn of the hips is just about as good as a sweep set which I prefer when fishing any kind of crank.

BD                         ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

dartag

watch KVD he swings to the side and keeps cranking.  Also he uses a flexible rod to take up some shock.  Like anything else it takes time on the water practicing it.  You may pick up techniques watching videos or reading about it.  But nothing compares to time on the water.

Mojo

Quote from: bigjc on January 18, 2015, 07:47:19 PM
I think that he may be referring to a rod that he acquired from me at a swap meet at BobO's.

Yes it WAS...... I had a 5 XD tied on to a revo, and the bait was still in the water when we took off. Bye bye gear.  Happens to the worst of us !
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Mojo

Quote from: Hollada on January 20, 2015, 11:21:48 PM
Joe Balog "walking the hook set"

I walk just a step or 2 more and let the rod do it's job.......
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

djkimmel

I just set the hook. Walking in the boat leads to tripping over things and falling off the deck. Especially on the Great Lakes. If the bass decides to go somewhere I may follow but I look to see what I'm might step on if I can.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

bigjc

Quote from: Mojo on February 14, 2015, 03:00:59 PM
Quote from: bigjc on January 18, 2015, 07:47:19 PM

Yes it WAS...... I had a 5 XD tied on to a revo, and the bait was still in the water when we took off. Bye bye gear.  Happens to the worst of us !

That sucks!