Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:10:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Has anyone used Optima Marine batteries?

Started by bigjc, December 28, 2014, 08:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjc

Have any of you used optima batteries in your boat?  Are they worth the big bucks??

Putting all new batteries in my Legend in the spring and needing some batteries that will last beyond a season or two.

dartag

Maybe i am wrong but Deka batteries seem to be the same quality but much better price. 

red68prostreet

Batteries are like tires. Not all offer the same quality or last as long. Deka batteries are made by East Penn which produces batteries for many companies. East Penn has a great reputation as a battery producer but they produce batteries to each customers specification. Do your research. For me CARQUEST has a great battery and it is made by East Penn. I have been using their top of the line batteries for 30 yrs. I bought my Ranger in the spring of 2010 and it came with 4 Battery Source brands that I had nothing but trouble with. They would warranty them but I finally said enough is enough so in the spring of 2012 I put all new CARQUEST units in. 3 full summers so far and I'm confident I'll get 2 maybe 3 more summers before I need to replace them. I hope by them a 36 volt lithium ion battery is cheap enough to try as they should last 7-10 yrs.

Manxfishing

I haven't hit the Lotto yet
So no

I hate the store
But I've had great luck with the Wallmart Ever start
Group 29's are 99 bucks with a 2 year replacement

bigjc

i like the idea of the durability of the gel cel batteries, but I don't like the idea of $225 a piece or higher.

Manxfishing

There both a wet cell

One has lead plates held in place with tabs
And the other has tabs and fiberglass to keep the plates from touching

In the old boat
I fished Erie allot, and I ran on days when the charters stayed in
Never had a batt go bad from the plates touching. And that boat took a beating

Yes, there more durable. But bottom line is if you don't need it. It's wasted money
Batt's will charge xx many times, and then you need to replace them
For both types

Waterfoul

Go with Deka batteries.  I just finished my 4th season on my group 27's (24 volts) and they still pull strong.  I fish 2-3 tournaments a week in the summer so my batteries get discharged and recharged often.  You can buy Deka's at Batteries Plus, West Marine, and a couple other places I'm sure.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!