Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:21:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Dobyn's jig rod and Curado I or Tatula

Started by Hollada, November 19, 2014, 10:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollada

I'm putting together my Christmas list and may get a dedicated rod for jigs - dragging football heads and pitching docks with 1/4 to 1/2 oz jig and pig.

In the dobyn's line seems a lot of folks recommend either the 734 Champion or the 784ML extreme.  Anyone use either of these rods?  Thoughts on which is the better rod? Pros and Cons, etc.?

Also interested in thoughts on the Curado I versus the Daiwa Tatula.  I have a Curado E and really like it, but have heard the Tatula can give you quite a bit more casting distance.  Any real world experience with the Tatula?
Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

fishstick

The 784ML is an awesome rod for dragging footballs or fishing deeper. But it's not stiff enough for pitching docks in my opinion. I really like the 735 coalition for that and it also does well fishing deeper. If you want one that will do both a 74X or 73X model is going to be a better all around choice.

robhj

I don't have any Dobyns, just Shimano & St. Croix, so I can't help you out there. I do own several Curados & have been very pleased with them. I know the reviews for both the Tatula & the new Curado were very good, at least from what I read on tackletour.com. Probably can't go wrong with either. I do know that Al & Bob's in Grand Rapids is having a huge sale & the Shimano Curado is marked down to $150-160 I believe. Good luck with the Christmas list. It's the season for organizing & acquiring more tackle!

Waterfoul

Can't speak to the rods but I'd go with what ever reel feels better in your hand.  Comfort is HUGE when you want to fish all day.  I have many Curado E reels and like how the fit my hand... better than many others out there.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

32eml24

dartag

I agree with Waterfowl.  What ever feels good.  All the rods mentioned are quality products.  I just got back from Florida and caught my biggest bass ever.  When packing everything I realized the rod I used the most was a 7 foot Powell I had broken the tip off and replaced.  The rod was probably 6'10 but worked and felt great all week.

Maybe ask for more fishing time for christmas.

Hollada

More fishing time could be expensive.  Probably cost me half of everything I own.

Dan

2019 BassCat Caracal
225 Evinrude G2 HO
Humminbird Solix 12's
Minnkota Ultrex

dartag

Quote from: Hollada on November 19, 2014, 02:23:57 PM
More fishing time could be expensive.  Probably cost me half of everything I own.

Plus expenses.

HellaBass

My fav Dobyns for Jigs is the DX745C or the DX705C if pitching docks, but I believe the most popular selling jig rod is the Champion 735C

Manxfishing

Bottom contact you'll what the DX over the cham
A good place to buy the rod would be the Tackle Depot there a sponser of the sight and should have a
thanksgiving sale soon 20% off or better
Remember with the Warr, It's for the Orig owner
The Tackle trap has a few NRX rep samples, the 893 or 894 would be a good choice for jigs

For the reel
There both great reels, I'd take the advice from the posts above
Handle them both, one might feel better then the other
I'm a Shimano fan fan so the Curado I would be first Choice
Or find a good used Curado E and get it super tuned with Bocco bearings

Team houston

Dartag, how big was the fish and what did you catch it on?