Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:28:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

What is the best way to winterize your boat?

Started by fishhound, November 13, 2014, 07:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhound

Skulley

That is a very broad question.  One of the best ways is to take it to an authorized service dealer and have them do it for you.  It usually will cost around $150 or so.  They will change the lower unit lube, fog the motor, and give the motor a once over to see if there may be any issues that you may have to deal with come spring.  

The other way is to do it yourself which is what I do.  I fog the motor, fill the gas tank with gas and add a gasoline additive.  I opt for Star Tron as an additive.  I use it all year 'round especially since gasoline phase separation has become such an issue over the last 5 or so years.  And of course, I change the lower unit lube.  I also grease the hubs of the trailer and there are grease fittings on my steering system on the boat.  I hit all those with grease usually a water resistant grease like the one that Dupont makes.  It is blue in color and I hit all fittings with that.  As my boat is stored outside, I remove all batteries and store them inside.  I then put dryer sheets in all the compartments to keep the vermin out.  For some reason vermin don't like those things even though they do leave a nice scent in the storage areas in the spring.  I like it.............but the nasty vermin don't.  I also put a couple of mouse traps in the motor compartment so that if some vermin do happen to take up residence, peanut butter and mouse traps do the trick.  I have been lucky over the last years and have no residents to speak of.  I also tape off any holes in the engine that a mouse might be able to crawl into such as exhaust ports, exhaust through the prop, water intakes, etc.  Also I tape off any holes in the transom that would be below the water line such as live well intakes and the hole where the bilge plug goes as well as any other holes where a mouse or small critter could enter.  This all takes maybe two hours at the most plus I save myself a couple of hundred bucks.  I also make sure the tires have air up to spec in them before storage.  Now you're ready for a long winter....................... :'(

BD                           ;D

If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Dan

"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Waterfoul

Actually the best way to winterize your boat is to call Scott Taylor in Florida and ask if there are any houses for sale nearby... then move there!!

Or... around here:

Lower unit gear lube change.

Treat fuel with stabilizer (and not the old RED stabil... doesn't do much for the ethanol).  Also, your tank is best stored either 3/4+ full or bone dry empty.  Any other amount can lead to excess condensation forming in the tank with local temperature fluctuations resulting in water in your gas in the spring.

Fog the engine.  On carburated models you can spray it into the intakes while the motor is running.  On EFI models I just take the plugs out, spray the oil in, turn the motor over once, respray, put the plugs back in.

If you store your boat outside it's not a bad idea to tape over the rear exhaust opening in the prop to keep critters and water from collecting.  Both can cause damage.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

motocross269

One thing that I will add is it is a good idea to check your manufactures procedures for long term storage....There are differences...Mercury Marine recommends that you don't fog Optimax engines...Just add a drop of oil to each cylinder....Traditional fogging can cause issues with the Fuel injectors....
On Mercury engines I also change the Fuel filter and add a tablespoon of Mercstor as recommended by the manufacturer.....
Step by step directions can be found easily online at the Manufacturers website...

As far as the boat I pretty much do exactly what Big Dog advised...The only thing I do and probably is a little overboard but I add RV antifreeze to the bilge just in case water is sitting some place and pour some in the livewells....

I also take everything out of the boat and clean it really well..I wax it in the Fall so I don't have to spend time doing it in the spring when I would rather be fishing....

Skulley

RV antifreeze is a good idea also for putting in the bilge and live wells.  It won't only keep things from freezing up, but it will kill any vermin that may happen to take up residence in the boat.  The glycol in the antifreeze will shut down the kidneys of any animal.  That's why its always wise to keep your dog away from it when you're working with antifreeze whether for the car or the RV or boat.  I'm actually going to add some now as motocross269 made that suggestion.  I never added it before but it's probably a good idea.

BD                        ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

t-bone

I used the RV antifreeze for the livewells but forgot the bilge - thanks for the reminder.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

peterman9000

Ditto on the RV antifreeze. I always have water in the livewell pumpout hose that is hard to remove otherwise.
RV antifreeze is non-toxic. Different stuff from your car's coolant system.

The first year I got my boat I was nervous about the winterization process too. After a winter like last year, it doesn't get much worse. If it worked last year...