Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:49:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Legend Boats

Started by Big dreams, August 06, 2014, 02:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big dreams

For those who have road in them, how do they compare to Rangers or Bass Cats?

TheFishinPollock

The 21 footer will overly outride a ranger .
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

Big dreams

That new V20 really looks nice.  I wonder how much that thing goes for.

Manxfishing

There a sweet looking boat
They started out from the Cobra/Viper molds

Big dreams

I've heard they ride like a Champion with the detail of a Ranger or Basscat.

Manxfishing

Quote from: Big dreams on August 07, 2014, 07:25:31 AM
I've heard they ride like a Champion with the detail of a Ranger or Basscat.

There kind of tied to the Champions
After John Storie left Champion
He did the only thing he knew, He started building boats agian
He had a no complete clause for building a deep "V" like the Champion
So he splashed a 4 series ranger hull and added the Champion top cap and those were the Hawk boats
The Hawk molds became the Cobra, Viper and were then sold to Legend

The newer ones are a pure Legend design
But if you look at a Champion, Hawk, Cobra,Viper or Legend you'll notice they all resemble each other

That V20 is a sweet boat, I'd guess it's 60K plus boat

Big dreams

Thanks for the history session.  I always wondered if all those guys knew each other.  Seems like a small world in the boat industry.  When was the "Legend" brand established?

Manxfishing

Quote from: Big dreams on August 07, 2014, 10:32:28 AM
Thanks for the history session.  I always wondered if all those guys knew each other.  Seems like a small world in the boat industry.  When was the "Legend" brand established?

Hawk went under in 01
And the molds were bought from them

So 2002
http://legendmarine.com/faqs/

Big dreams

These boats are amazing!  I think I am in love

MSURoss

I own a 18.5 ft viper which is similar to the legend hull. My next boat will probably be a legend! 

Manxfishing

Simiiar,

Here's the story according to Pat Goff that worked at Champion on how the Viper molds were sold to
Legend

"John Storie sold Champion to Dave Porthouse, and among other things, Dave had him sign a non compete contract which was quite clever. He knew he couldn't prevent Storie from building boats, that was his livelihood, so he prevented him from building only "deep V wedge" designed boats. Which is of course what the Champ hull is.
John simply splashed a 482 ranger, added a turning chine, and a little more setback, and there was his boat.
Porthouse bought Champion from Storie in the early 90's, and had John continue to run the company for several years.
John wanted nothing to do with building anything besides the tried and proven 86" beamed boats. Bill Pace is the one who designed and built the first wide champ, the 190. John left to contemplate his navel for a few years, and managment was taken over by little dave. The later boats, 186, 202,191 were designed by Dave Schlicke, all very fine hulls.
Storie hooked back up with Bruce Benton, and they are the ones who designed the Cobra/viper/etc etc. Again, this was a hull that wouldn't interfere with his non compete contract.
To say they didn't want to build new boats is just wrong, they built lots of new hulls. But they were all based on the proven hull dynamics that put champ where they were.
I was with Champ from '84 to the demise in '01 I only know of Stories actions based on friends in Mt. Home who kept track of such things.
The "legend" of Stories boat designing skills are for the most part seriously overrated, for every minute he spent tweaking a boat, Bill Pace spent an hour.
Legend/Hawk/Cobra/Viper, they all run together.
Here's the scoop, and anything else you hear is just B.S.
John Storie was wanting to start another boat company, but he was locked down in a very strict non compete contract with Champion. He could build a boat, but couldn't build a deep V Wedge hull boat.
So, what he did was splash a Ranger 482, added a turning chine, and increased the lifting strakes, and he had him a boat mold. That was the beginning of the Cobra/Viper boats, and they did the Fisher glass boats there also, same hull.
Storie got runnoft from Cobra, they went flaming down, and he and Bruce Benton started the Hawk boat, same basic mold, same basic boat. '01 came and they didn't have the legs to stay in the race, so that died. The molds were bought and brought to Texas where they started building the legends, then bought again and moved to Midway Ark.
Just so it's clear...again...
Legend/hawk/viper/cobras are all a splash off a ranger 482. Modified, but still in the same gene pool.
It's more honest and accurate to state the legend/clones are modified rangers than some breed of champ. "

Big dreams

Good to know.  Thanks for this information.  I think my next boat will be a Legend :)

raisinrat

I habe rode on them and the ride is pretty nice. Right there with ranger.
Justin Clark

thedude

i just brought this one home from TN on wed

They ride smooth and very flat, in fact the nose seems like its pointed down toward the water a bit. The fit and finish is 2nd to none. There may not be any plastic anywhere on the boat except maybe the buttons for the controls.  Hole shot is amazing.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Grinny

Congrats on the new ride! It looks awesome...how long is it?

thedude

West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Big dreams

Nice boat Dude!  I am jeleous...  Someday

Manxfishing

Sweet boat Dude
I love the colors, You don't see allot of boats trim in green
And that one has just the right amount.

Hoekset

Quote from: thedude on August 08, 2014, 12:10:42 PM
i just brought this one home from TN on wed

They ride smooth and very flat, in fact the nose seems like its pointed down toward the water a bit. The fit and finish is 2nd to none. There may not be any plastic anywhere on the boat except maybe the buttons for the controls.  Hole shot is amazing.

I got to fish out of it already! One bad mutha

VinceR

Congrats on the new boat! You KNOW I like that. The Alpha 211 is 1A on my list for my next boat.