Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:33:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

When to fill batteries???

Started by 1javelin, May 07, 2007, 12:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1javelin

Okay, fished for around 5 hours yesterday on a pretty fast river with high winds, and ran into some rocks at the end of the day because my tmotor didn't have enough juice in it. >:( >:( >:(   I've got 81 lb. Minn Kota, so it should've done the job.  Figured something is wrong, so I checked my batteries when I got home and they seem a little low to me. :-\' :-\'   How high do I fill them??  I know to use distilled water, it says that as did the guy who sold me the boat, but how close to the top am I supposed to come allowing room for expansion?  Any and all help appreciated so this doesn't happen again.  :-[ :-[
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Langer

I too ran into the same issue first time out with my batteries.  I have no idea if this is right or not, but I just added water until it just started to come out the top, I did this for each cell, then re-capped. I put some baking soda onto the overflow to nuetralize the acid then just cleaned them up. I havent had an issue since, but dont know if what I did was correct or not....
Wayne County Bass Anglers
-2008 President

Revtro

I've always filled mine all the way up to the top and let the cap push the excess out.  Never had a problem.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Cy

I'm sorry to be the barer of bad news but you guys are all over filling your batteries!  I first want to qualify my expertise on this subject a little so you all don't just think I pull this stuff out of my...you know.  ;)  I went to college to be an automotive mechanic and I spent several years before that working on battery operated floor care equipment.  I have had classes and a lot experience with batteries and battery powered equipment.

You should only fill a battery just enough to cover the plates.  What are plates you ask?  The plates are the comb looking things you see each cell of the battery.  The reason you don't want to add to much water is because when you charge the battery you will just boil that much more water out of the battery and make a nasty mess.  You can also damage the battery if the vents are not working properly and the water can't escape. 

You guys should really go and draw some to the water off the cells as soon as you can.

The last little fun fact about batteries I want to tell you is, you can safely store your batteries on the concrete floor of you garage.  Concrete does not drain the charge out of today's batteries.  That was true back in the day when batteries came in wood and rubber cases.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

1javelin

I'll take more advice if someone knows anything else through either experience or expertise, but thanks for the advice so far guys.  Looks like if nothing different is posted by this time tomorrow I will be filling them up.
  After just reading Cfruel's post while trying to post mine, I think I will lighten up my load.  How do I see the cells though, with a flashlight maybe?
Live to fish, Fish to live.

motocross269

I was told at some point in my life that it is best to refill them when they are at a low discharge point.  Is that true???

Revtro

Cfruel, thanks for the tips.  I've never had a problem filling mine all the way up, but why take chances?  I guess I'll go pull a little out with a turkey baster. 

It's easy to see the plates with a flashlight. BTW
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Cy

Rev's right you should be able to see them with a flashlight no problem.  Do not use a lighter!!!  Battery and/or gas fumes can very explosive, but I am sure everyone knows that.

I have not heard filling batteries on a low charge makes a difference but I have always heard just keep them filled.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

cwinsiii

Your supposed to fill the battery's after charged all the way.

The water expands as the battery charges.

Revtro

Ahh, maybe that's why I've never had a problem filling them all the way.  I always keep them on the onboard charger, so they're always charged up.  I've never filled them cold.  Great tips guys.  Thanks!
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djkimmel

You know how some guys can just pretty much get away with anything while other guys deviate one time... BOOM!!!

If you want a quick fill without a flashlight, or maybe your batteries are hard to see into because of location, I've been told to fill them up until the fluid just touches the inside bottom of the hole/vent. As soon as it looks like water will come up into the hole, stop. If you can see the water level just below the bottom inside of the vents, even better.

You have to leave room for gas/expansion. Never seen it, but batteries can explode. Read about it now and then in the news. Youch!

I also found out along the way that maintenance free doesn't always mean maintenance free when it comes to wet cell batteries (gel or AGM are different). Lot's of good summary data on Deka Batteries Site about choosing batteries, types of batteries and things to know about batteries.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.