Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:57:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Mid & Northern Michigan Lakes

Started by Coop, March 12, 2014, 12:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coop

Hey all,

Anyone have any recommendations on specific lakes in the Mid-Michigan Area that are strong pre spawn fishing lakes? Im trying to set up a couple of 2 day trips up north for some strong fishing.  I already have notched off some time to hit Burt & Mullett of course, but looking for maybe a very underrated option that I can do some early catch & release fishing.
Rob Cooper
2015 Legend V20

Waterfoul

Quote from: Coop on March 12, 2014, 12:54:50 PM
Hey all,

Anyone have any recommendations on specific lakes in the Mid-Michigan Area that are strong pre spawn fishing lakes? Im trying to set up a couple of 2 day trips up north for some strong fishing.  I already have notched off some time to hit Burt & Mullett of course, but looking for maybe a very underrated option that I can do some early catch & release fishing.

There really aren't many "mid-Michigan lakes."  Most decent sized lakes are either on the west side (Muskegon, White, Hardy Pond, etc...) the east side (Wixom, Sanford, etc...) or north (Duck, Green, Burt, Mullet, Long, Hubbard, etc...).  There are always the Traverse Bays of course.  But the center of the state is kind of sparse for decent sized lakes.

Based on the recent Major League Fishing tournaments I think we are going to plan a trip to the Hubbard/Long Lake area this summer.  Never been up that way.  I'm sure I won't be the only one after watching the pro's catch so many fish during that tournament.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Coop

I definitely need to know when an event is going to be held up there. I will go for certain. Yeah Hubbard & Long look like nice bass lakes. I been recording and watching the MLF events from up there in Alpena. Looks like those are some nice lakes with some big fish. Im a medical device rep and traval to most hospitals all over north and southern Michigan and have been in Alpena at the hospital often. Just never thought about fishing those lakes. But if there is a group headed up, im definitely game.
Rob Cooper
2015 Legend V20

gmetime24

For mid michigan I would go to Sanford and wixom lakes. These are killer bass fishing lakes mixed with largies and smallies. Both are reservoirs and especially with Sanford you want to learn the main river channel. On the north end you can get yourself into trouble if you get too far outside the channel

Coop

Yeah, im pretty familiar with Sanford. Not so much with Wixom or Secord though. I live only 15 mins from Sanford. That's why you gotta love the Lakemaster Chips! lol
Rob Cooper
2015 Legend V20

djkimmel

Lake Lancer maybe? Haven't been there in awhile and only a couple times. Houghton Lake and Higgins Lake for sure. Houghton largemouth start earlier. Smallmouth slightly later though not much depending upon the weather. Higgins Lake a little later.

Many of the lakes from there North are good fishing lakes for one or both bass. When they get good depends upon the spring warming trend and how good it coincides with full moon periods - the bass will moves towards spawn regardless but a warming trend with a full moon sometimes makes the movements much bigger.

Prespawn can start pretty early on Southern Michigan lakes depending upon the weather, but some of the best can occur before our bass season opens. Anyone who wants to change that read through the Michigan Bass Season board and help us change to a year-round bass season of some type. There's no scientific reason for a closed statewide bass season, but some people are scared of change.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Big dreams

I live 5 minutes from Wixom and fish all of the lakes around mid Michigan.  Smallwood is a good spawning lake.  Secord is my favorite but not for spawning.  The biggest bag I have heard about in recent day is up on Hubbard Lake by Alpena.  I can't recall the numbers but it was ridiculous.  Potter was telling the club about it.  Whatever it was, I remember my jaw dropping.

Coop

Djkimmel - I cant agree with you any more about the bass season. Pretty ridiculous that we even have a closed season at all. Were one of the few states in the country that are this unreasonable. Too many people that think it effect the spawn of the fish etc.. if it was such an issue, there would be less widespread prespawn bass fishing. I swear this state is so "high on its horse" when it comes to some of the hunting and fishing regulations. Were out there on an island which is not fair at all...

In regards to this season and the early spawn.. Not really counting on it. I wouldn't put it past the weather this spring that the main bass spawn wont come until well into catch and release and almost not until the actual bass opener and the start of the majority of tourneys.  There should be some nice bags brought in this year in some of the early tournaments. Probably be texas riggin / Carolina rigging / & slooooowwwww jerkbait bite on catch and realease opener. its sure gonna be an interesting beginning of the season.
Rob Cooper
2015 Legend V20

djkimmel

I really like Secord Lake in the mid to late fall. I sure hope I can make it back up again one of these falls. Still haven't made it to Smallwood. It's on the list.

Last time I was on Hubbard in the spring I didn't catch any giants but a number of 4+ and very happy numbers of 1.5 to 2.5 smallies just ripe for the pickin' one after another with enough between 2.5 and 4+ to make for a memorable few days of bass fishing!

Guess I'll have to make a fall trip up there again one of these years to check on the fall heft. Hard to head that way with all those other great lakes to the East and straight North (my favorites!)! Plus! I keep hearing about totally new lakes I just have to visit! :) If I keep meeting new people my lakes I need to fish list will just keep growing! It's already pretty long.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.