Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:03:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Bearing buddies

Started by rudycard72, May 30, 2006, 08:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudycard72

Can you install Bearing Buddies without removing bearings . Any other bearing tips would be appreciated. I will be putting on alot of miles this summer and i dont want any problems.

cwinsiii

The bearing buddy's just tap in with a small hammer no need to remove the bearings.

smbassman

I recommend you do not use bearing buddies.  Clean and repack or just replace bearings every three years and get in the habit of checking your hubs with your hand whenever you stop for gas, arrive at the lake, etc.  If you have trailer brakes a little warmth is normal, hot means the bearings are going bad.

The problem with bearing buddies -  the spring in the bearing buddy adds pressure in the hub and the hub is also completely full of grease.  When the grease warms as you travel, it expands and will push out thru the inner seal with the help of the spring force.  When the hub & grease cools, the bearing buddy shows low grease because some grease was forced out of the hub - so you pack it full again.  The cycle continues and will prematurely wear out the inner seal and eventually let water into the hub.

Just pack the bearings well and don't bother packing the hub full of grease.  Just install the bearings and use a regular dust cap sealed with a thin coat of red permatex.  (install the permatex around the lip of the dust cap before tapping it into place.)

Bender

Good point, I wish I had read this a month ago. I put Bearing Buddy's on and have only towed about 30 miles since then and there is grease all over the inside of the wheel. The pressure blew the grease past that inner seal just like you said. Now I am going to take it all back apart again and replace the seals and put regular caps back on. I am worried that the seals are damaged.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

smbassman

Bender,

You should still be fine for this year.  The grease passing by the inner seal is not a catastrophic failure, so I would just leave it be for this year.  Get in the habit now of feeling the rims whenever you stop to check for overheating, but I doubt one over filling of the bearing buddies will cause damage.  Just don't keep packing it full just because the bearing buddy doesn't show full anymore.

SMBassman