Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:58:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

sponsers

Started by outdoorkid, March 29, 2007, 12:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OUTLAW

Just remeber when you give away your skills, work, and pride, its harder to get PAID for it in the future.

I would say talk to someone that is getting paid for what they do and ask them what it takes some one like KVD, Kim Striker, Zona, or Mark Martin the wall eye guy not the driver. some of them will be at D and R sports this weekend.

outdoorkid

i live near the border of oakland and livingston bout ten minutes from woodland lake

1javelin

Wow, what a wealth of opinions.  Here goes another.
  I have also considered sponsorship to offset some of the costs of fishing tournaments these days, but quickly discounted it.  That would make me a spokesperson for said company, maybe not even a company I plan on using all the time.  I was very big into target archery for a few years, shot some big shoots, even got my name in the state record books, and when I asked my bow company of choice for sponsorship, they kind of laughed at me and told me I would have to shoot x amount of tournaments on a national level and this and that.  I decided then that sponsorship is not a way I want to go, since I want to do what it is that interests me, not spend all day talking about it.  I would rather fish 4 days a week and help some kids fish 1 than fish 1 and talk to a group of guys wanting to know my secrets 4, if you get what I am saying.
  My tourney fees are not 5,000, but they are going to clear 2,000 after gas and such, plus factor in tackle, line, travel, gas, etc..., and we are looking at a pretty penny.  Guess how I am going to pay for it?  No, I'm not sponsored.  No, I'm not rich, and my dad isn't rich either.  Matter of fact, I make more than him times 2.  I work my fingertips to the bone for what I do.  I have a 55 hour a week fulltime job from 3p.m. to 1a.m., then turn around and help do hardwood flooring from 7a.m. to 1 or 2p.m.  Talk about stressed to the max.  My wife is noce enough to allow me to do this and pay for the boat out of our money, but my extras come from my extra money.  Earn it and it's that much sweeter.
 P.S.  If anyone wants floors done, e-mail me ;) ;) ;)
Live to fish, Fish to live.

squid

Motocross is right on some issues.  Working for the top mini moto company out there, I get asked how their 4-9yr olds can get somekind of sponsorship from our company.  Some have even thought since their kid is a girl, they should BE sponsored by us.  We do offer a contingency program for those who are not FACTORY team riders, but to some...that's not enough.  Motocross is not cheap..We have 4 kids who have FULL sponsorships.  With 3 free bikes and free parts, they get about $40K worth of PRODUCT from us...each.  But we do not offer money, so they still have to pay for:  Gas, entry fees, track time, shipping cost, camp ground fees, second mortgage...lol...Motorhome, racing outfit crap..ie boots, helmets, gloves, suit, etc.  So, try being a dad in this sport and still find time to fish....lol...I feel sorry for them.

Just cause you buy the product, use the product, doesn't mean you are going to get a sponsorship.  Also, like the post above me, if you only do local things and don't go out into the big picture...you will not be looked at too often.  However, if your sales skills are very well tuned, you can do well with a potential sponsor.  A resume doesn't have to include fishing skills, but sales skills will get you farther ahead.

Anyone can throw in a line...but can you sell the product...even if it is one that doesn't work so well?

bshaner

My previous post got deleted so I'm going to refine it and make it sound more positive but get the point across.

At your age your focus should be more on finishing your education (which to me is the most important thing for a young person to do).  I've been told that sponsors will even base their decision of whether to sponsor a youth on their GPA in school.   No sponsor wants to have a reputation of putting their product ahead of a child graduating from high school.  If they do, I gaurantee you I will never buy anything from them.

If your goal is to be a pro angler then I say more power to you.  I'm 35 and that is my goal.  I wish I had started out at 16.  God knows where I'd be by now.  That being said, if I had it to do over again I would still focus on school first, fishing second.

You'll want to gather as much information on sponsorships as you can and you will want to work on getting a resume started.  When you do up your resume you will need to ensure you have proper grammar to include spelling "sponsor" correctly.  Your resume will be a company's first impression of you.  Sell yourself correctly.  If I was an employer (and that's what a sponsor is - an employer) and you came to me with a resume that had poor spelling and poor grammar, I would file the resume in the trash can. 

As far as the opinions of should you get sponsored, what should your sponsorship include.  What are you willing to do for sponsors.  You can listen to opinions from others but remember that it is you who has to fullfill committments, not them.  You and you alone can decide what works for you and what you are willing to do.  Dont let others decide for you.  Opinions about sponsorships are like opinions about the length of rods.  Who's to say which is best for you?

I enjoy reading people's opinions on sponsorships and at the same time I dont understand alot of them.  I especially disagree with the thinking that "because I can fish I deserve to get free money."   That just isnt the way it goes.  People just dont look at the big picture and the future.  You have to give to get.  If I have to spend 2000.00 and put in alot of hours this year to gain a company's confidence and in return I might make 4000.00 next year with fewer hours of work and get to fish more, have I really been cheated?  Was that 2000.00 wasted?  I say NO!  Do people not think KVD or Tiger Woods never had to pay their dues? 

If you get nothing else from my opinion - get this:  forget about sponsors while you are in high school.  Go to school during the week.  Go fishing at night and on the weekends.  Enjoy your youth and better yourself as an angler.  Now is the time to concentrate on learning, not worrying about the pressures of getting your name out there.  You cant concentrate on your school work and you cant concentrate on fishing if you are worrying about impressing people who ultimately only want to sell a product, nothing more. 

Figure out how you want to make your money in the fishing industry.  Do you want to be a pro on a national level?  Do you want to be a guide?  Do you just want to be a salesman?  Do you just want to fish state and regional tournies the rest of your life?  You have to decide this first before you even make long term decisions on sponsorships.  Your goals will be different and the way you approach sponsorships will be different. 

I could go on...

PM me if you would like and I'll give you links to some very good information and discussions.

B

Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

motocross269

I am by no stretch of the imagination trying to keep someone from chasing their dreams.  I am also not trying to dig on anyone that has succeded in puting together a good sponsorship program.  I am sure we all wish we had someone paying our way.  Most of you that know me know that I support and understand sponsorship programs and I will also volunteer to help out at any shows or events when I see a benefit to fisherman as a group.

bshaner hit the nail on the head in his post..I will leave it at that...   

djkimmel

Even if you decide not to pursue sponsorships right now, find out who the reps are for the companies you are interested in and make sure they know who you are even if you just show up at a fishing show, introduce yourself and say hi whenever you get the chance. I'm not saying talk their arm off, especially if they seem worn out from 5 shows in a row, longs days, or just seem busy.

Shows are usually not the best place to talk long to a lot of reps because the rep is already busy trying to talk to as many people as possible. But you can show them your face and a brief look at your personality. If the rep seems like they want to talk for a while, you can go with it, just don't take it personally if you are interrupted by other customers with questions.

Here's what KVD said about sponsorship when he was just turning pro - he had gone the route of product and discounts to some degree - he also knew his first year or two on the pro circuit that he would have a hard time getting money, so he wisely accepted the best available offer from his target companies, while also discussing contingency possibilities from the companies if he did real well and reached certain goals.

Done right, this is pretty smart business. Just have to be diplomatic so you aren't coming across too demanding up front while not selling yourself any shorter than necessary. The farther you are away from the big turning pro, the more likely you will get discounts only and/or maybe some product. The cash doesn't usually come until you have a full time popular TV show and/or have been getting consistent national press on a major circuit from endemic sponsors (fishing industry), but you may be able to get some cash from non-endemic sponsors with local businesses mostly likely again unless you make a major name for yourself nationally - then... maybe you could get some cash from the bigger companies.

Many bigger companies do now look for a college degree as a significant indicator of who to sponsor.

For now, rewind... I think I mentioned, and others have touched on it too - polish your speaking and communication skills every chance you get. If you have any public speaking classes at school - take them! English and writing classes would be real helpful too.

That way, when you find out who the reps are and meet them, they'll remember you as a well-spoken, decent young person (with potential maybe???)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.