Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 08:48:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

lakes you want to fish in 2014

Started by bob o, March 01, 2014, 01:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robhj

I'm fortunate I live on the west side & get to fish Muskegon, White, Pere Marquette, & Manistee regularly and I have family in NE MI so I get to fish Hubbard, Long, Grand, & Fletchers a few times each year. On my list this year is Thunder Bay & Charity Islands, and also to spend more time on Mullett. Great problems we all have-too much awesome fishing & not enough time!

MSURoss

Quote from: djkimmel on March 08, 2014, 12:19:50 PM
Quote from: MSURoss on March 08, 2014, 10:03:14 AM
I did a little guided trip on Fletchers about 7 years ago. Caught a 3.5 lb smallie in the weeds  ;D

I've always heard about the largemouth bass, and lots of small pike, over the years, particularly in the 'old' days. But lately, I've been hearing more and more about smallmouth bass too. Wonder if they were always there? Or did someone once again start their own private stocking program?

Maybe the river system?

bwebber

Fletcher's has had smallie's for years, they just hang out in certain area's of the lake so they are not widely caught.

21XDC

Quote from: bwebber on March 08, 2014, 05:58:31 PM
    Fletcher's has had smallie's for years, they just hang out in certain area's of the lake so they are not widely caught.

Smallies in Fletchers?  :P
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

bwebber

Mike,

Didn't you win a tourney on a smallie sack?  If I remember correctly you camped on east grade most of the day?

21XDC

I also won big bass "smallie" and 1st place at the BBC rally held there.
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

VinceR

Mullett, and always more time on St Clair. Maybe a little Erie, too.

TheFishinPollock

Gonna go find that  winning fish on mullet again Vince LOL
Matthew" the pollock" Novak
1986 Champ 168
 2014 Pro XS 115 Merc

VinceR

MSURoss

Can't wait to fish Ovid, upper grand and lansing  :-X

djkimmel

You missed naming a good one Round that same area...

You should branch out and try the lower too. I like urban fishing. You get asked about 20 times, 'what're ya fishin' for, carp?!? OMG that's a smallmouth bass!' Me: 'No, it's a carp. No bass, walleye, pike, salmon or trout in this river. Move along.' ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MSURoss

I'll have to try round never have...is lower Grand dangerous for lower units?

djkimmel

Round doesn't have a lot of spots and they probably will tell you it's no wake. At 80 acres, not really a problem. You can fish most of the lake in one day. I didn't get out there last year but it was pretty good the 2 or 3 seasons before.

The Lower Grand can eat a lower unit, but not much more than the Upper Grand can if you don't know where you're running. Luckily, kind of like Round, you can no wake it and fish most of it in one day.

It's not real long and I'd recommend no wake and someone watching from the front deck, or just get on the trolling motor and fish, because the lower water we've had makes the downstream part a little past I-496 have lots of shallow places - the old bridge they took out and up past Washington Ave - mostly lots of obstructions scattered around some semblance of the channel.

I wouldn't take a fiberglass boat past the train bridge very far even on the trolling motor. I've seen people do it and I've done it a few times (in higher water though). You can scrape some fiberglass or get stuck. Not too much to fish up there anyway.

Downstream from the ramp there are some junk spots under the Kalamazoo and Shiawassee St bridges. Used to be a wicked old rerod about 40 feet right of the center support under Kalamazoo. Not sure it's still there now? I stick fairly close to the right of the center support and take it slow just in case. The left side (going from the ramp) is very iffy.

Fairly safe in the middle of the channel from there to the Shiawassee St bridge. There's some junk around that bridge, mostly under/just upstream (towards the dam) but you can trolling motor around there find near the center support.

The next bridge towards the dam is the old train bridge they now use for pedestrians. There are a couple old underwater bridge support bases left there including one near the center of the center opening. At times that pile is shallow enough to mess up your prop or take off a lower unit. You can't usually see it. If the water is really down you could scrape your hull a little though I don't expect the water will be that low this year.

I almost never run in that part of the river since we've had the lower water. It only takes a few minutes to travel the river with the motor trimmed up at a low wake anyway. There's a ridge a short ways past that bridge that has no fish on it. Don't fish it... It's no good. You won't like it. Don't even look for it... Just stay to the right near the East. There's still a narrow channel there.

I haven't been down there since the year before so I don't know the status of the Saginaw St. bridge rebuild. You probably can't go much past there anyway if that is still being built as the latest satellite images show. I haven't driven down that way either but if the bridge is still out and they're building they may have it buoyed off and/or there may be construction stuff in the water you don't want to find the hard way. The fishing isn't generally awesome from there to the dam anyway in my experience.

One thing I do every year when I re-acquaint myself with the river (most rivers) is to take a low speed ride through the parts I want to run and fish anyway because they're rivers. Stuff moves. It isn't uncommon to find new treasures in the channel that weren't there or weren't apparent before. You're better of finding them that way instead of the hard way.

I've found whole new trees in deep water (usually in the worst places) on the Upper Grand - most often the good way above thank goodness rather then the hard way. Along the Lower Grand, you can find trees, vehicle axles, home appliances, bicycles, shopping carts, any number of interesting items. Bridge repair almost always creates new things in the river, and if they haven't done a recent cleanup you will usually find more of the unnatural cover in the river. Find them the easy way first.

I take it all as it comes along. Just part of fishing urban. Plus! I like getting asked that question from people walking the boardwalk - 'what're ya fishin' for??' I especially like it when I hook a nice bass or walleye and they freak out! Makes fishing a little more fun. I've fished in front of quite a crowd a few times downtown... :) And there's surprising lots of wildlife using the river, even while lots of people are walking and riding nearby on the Riverwalk.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

DennisB.

Hardy, mi. Center, Dubonette, Hamlin, reedsberg,

BIGSHOW

Are you talking about Lake Dubonette in Interlochen Dennis?

DennisB.

Quote from: BIGSHOW on March 13, 2014, 09:10:36 PM
Are you talking about Lake Dubonette in Interlochen Dennis?

Yes. We went there every year till I went in the navy in 91" I'm now 40 and want my son to see it. It used to be a pike factory but we always did well on the bass.

BIGSHOW

I want to fish it also. I probably will this year. I want to fish cedar hedge too. I've done good there. I have a place on bass lake less than 10 mi. From there.

YpsiBass

Revising my list to include Detroit River, LSC, Erie, and probably Belleville as sad as it is to say  >:(

djkimmel

Try to go to Belleville at a weird time. Maybe that will help?