Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 12:02:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

US Coast Guard PFD Regulations for PFD’s purchased in Canada?

Started by spinnerbation, January 16, 2014, 12:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinnerbation

US Coast Guard PFD Regulations for PFD's purchased in Canada?

Posted this on some other boards, thought I'd try here as well! And I feel like I may have asked this before so I apologize if this is a repeat post. My memory was never my strong suit! lol

I am a resident of Ontario Canada and I fish the BFL Michigan series as a Co-Angler. As you know these events are on Lake St Clair, Lake Erie, Detroit River & St Clair River all of which are considered "border waters". Given these events are held on these Border Waters I am wondering what the regulations are for PFD usage?

According the regs up here we can use a PFD from the US as long as it meets the US Coats Guard construction standards. However, I am curious if this works the other way around? I tried finding it on their website, called and emailed without any success. Does anyone know if I use my jacket I bought in Ontario if I would meet the US Coast Guard requirements provided it meets Ontario's current standards?

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated!

Waterfoul

Not sure in the exact regs, but I work for West Marine and the PFD's we sell here are the same ones we sell in Canada, eh. (  ;)  )
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

spinnerbation

I know, as per my understanding the PFD's construction doesn't change, only who certifies them after they are manufactured. So if sold in CAN it's the DOT, if US it's the  USCG. I'd hate to invest in something up here only to find out I can't use it down there because of a red tape bureaucratic money grab technicality...ehh

Waterfoul

I'd call one of the US Coastgaurd stations directly.

The number for Sector Detroit is 313-568-9525
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!