Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:28:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

spring turkey season 2014

Started by Got Fish??, January 10, 2014, 05:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Got Fish??

With all this snow falling all around. Make sure you remember to get in the draw for this springs, season. Before the end of the month. If your shooting with a bow. Get to the range.

Got Fish??

Friends in Garyling tell me that  they have run across several birds frozen in the snow while snowmobiling. The coyotes have done a good job cleaning them up. I hope this winter is not to harsh  on the flocks. I'm going to buy some broadheads for next season for my bow, I'm not sure what to get. Any suggestions?

Got Fish??

It's funny how the DNR , says. They have no money for ramps,parks or trashcans. Don't have the staff to do maintenance. Have you seen the booklet for this years spring turkey hunt? Looks to be high dollar and vary nice. I guess I know where my increase in licence's are going.

Got Fish??

In taking a tom with a bow, this spring. I may use a ground blind. Only the following 3 types of ground blinds are legal on public land. Type 1 (portable ground blind) This blind must be clearly portable and removed each day's hunt. Type 2 (dead natural materials ground blind)A blind exclusively of dead natural materials found in the area. A hunter may add materials for concealment or protection from the weather.  These materials must be removed at the end of the days hunt. Type 3 (constructed ground blind)  The name and address, of the person that placed the constructed blind on the public land. Must be permanently attached to the blind.If a persons type 3blind has been permitted to be placed on land administered by local public agency. The local agency will establish the length of time a blind may be placed on it's property.

Got Fish??

New beginning Mar,1 A base license is required for every resident and nonresident who hunts in Mi. Hunters may purchase their spring turkey license, only after they have obtained a base license for the year. Drawing results posted Mar.3 for the spring season. Base license resident will be $11, senior $5 and Nonresident $151.

Got Fish??

Let's hope the snow is gone by first hunt. Last year there was snow on the ground and ice on the lakes two weeks before the  first hunt. North of  55. This may be a vary wet hunt. Do to all that snow, get to your favorite outfitter and get some good boots. Basspro and Cabelas are having great spring sales.

Got Fish??

For all of you who don't understand what a  base licence is. The base licence is basicly a smallgame licence, that you add other hunt tags to, deer, bear turkey  ete ete.The state needs $ to fund the parks, wildlife and fishery departments in our state. From what I am told by the  head of the DNR,  this base licence has an  experation life of three years. At that time , if the state has  not  shown  to the public any improvments set forth. The base licence may be taken off the table. We need to contact our DNR department  when changes are made.  Let them know how we feel. The DNR will the collect all that data. Give the information to a panel.  

Got Fish??

Snow in April?  It could happen. Weather can slow some of the aggressive toms during the spring,  but breeding and feeding our always on thier mind. Snow and cold temps will change turkey patterns and leave hunters wondering. Turkeys tend to communicate less when cold weather arrives. Gobblers tend to gobble less, making it harder to call them in. Don't be surprised to have a tom come into your set-up with out gobbling. Snow  will also cause both hens and toms . To stay on the roost longer.look for areas that will lose snow the fastest, slopes and sides of hills. Turkeys will gather and scratch and look for food in these open areas

fiker

So have I got this right.  I have to buy a base license, (small game) which I no longer hunt, in order to purchase a fishing license (which now includes the equivalent of a trout stamp) which I never fish for? 

Added to this is the $10 fee I supported for my license plate fee. 

I'm all for supporting the DNR and all that, but let's face it.  The increase in license fees will no doubt be used to plant species of fish I don't fish for. 

So over the last several years the cost of my participating in the outdoors has gone up significantly.  Which is fine if there is a return on my investment.  If boat ramps and state parks are improved and maintained for example. 
But I'm a Bass fisherman.  Any plan s to stock some bass in lakes around?  Or how about hiring more personnel so that weed control applications on in land lakes can be properly investigated?
I'll be keeping a close eye on this.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

fuzzygrub1611

Base license is only for hunting. fishing license is now $26.00.

Got Fish??

You don't have to spend the extra $10. But spending only $10 , is a good price for fishermen. It beats $6 a day or $26 a year. In years gone by you had to purchase a state park and a DNR purmit if you wanted fish in all the state owned areas.That would cost $52 a year.

Got Fish??

Don't let the elements beat you this turkey season. Make sure your wearing the proper cloths allowing you to stay warm, dry and comfortable. Make sure your calls are stored  in a plastic bag, moisture can ruin your calls. Mother nature may be fierce and unpredictable, but this  year don't let the weather dictate the success of your spring hunt.

Got Fish??

I drew 2nd hunt 0109 area K. I guess l will be spending opening week of catch and release for bass in Kalkaska. Great I can do a surf and turf  get away this year. I hope ice is out by then and the water temp  isn't to cold. If it's not I will visit Elk Rapids for steelhead at the dam.

Got Fish??

I talked to  a friend who lives close to our hunt camp today, near Kalkaska . He was working on  the camp, when a flock of turkeys wondered into the frount yard. Before he new it a large bald eagle swooped down and picked up a large hen and carried the bird off, with no problem. There has'nt been to many sightings,  in the past few weeks. Birds are still coming to feeders. That area has  over 200" of snow so far this season. The birds have also  gone A.W.O.L. in the Grayling area.

Got Fish??

I took a ride to GrandRapids this weekend to attend the hunting and fishing show at the Devos  show place. I talked to a few young turkey hunters from Kent County,  Who told me there has been sightings, but  the birds are like ghosts. Now you see them. Now you don't. Two gentelmen from Eaton County, have been watching a flock for a few days now. Since the snow has melted and the fields are dirt. My road trip from Livonia to GrandRapids turned  up not  one turkey. Seems to be a slow start this season.  Although last year started out to be a bust, then the season turned  around. The birds came alive, once the weather broke.

Got Fish??

It is not unusual for toms to display, fan and strut during spring. Some do it only when hens are around but others are gobbling, fanning and wandering the  woods desperately looking for a mate. Lone toms that are in need of a partner and are the easiest to hunt. Henned up adult toms are suometimes impossible to harvest. They tend to ignore calling and often follow hens away from decoys. This is when you need change your calling , and challenge that Alfa hen. Copy her calls, challenging her to respond and walk in to eye balling range. This is when you need to be super serious about  your camouflage . In this  case I don't hunt over decoys, the hen is  mad and will look until she finds you. Having poor camouflage, she will idntify hunters and blow out of dodge, with gobblers on tow. Turkeys can detect movement 10 times better  than adult bucks and they have the capability of zooming in on anythong that looks suspicious.

Got Fish??

Turkey hunt as long as you can stay out. Make sure not to throw in the towel too soon. Turkeys during midday hours can provide you the chance to fill your tag. Birds are less vocal but more responsive . The toms are often alone and looking  for receptive hens. If you can get a bird to respond during midday , there's a good chance your gonig to call him in. Don't exspect him to come in gobbling, like he dose right off the roost. Qiite frequently they will come in relatively quiet. If you can get  him to answer you a couple of times, there is a good chance he is  going to come and check you out.

Got Fish??

The ambush plan is simple but requires some precise planning. One hunter, the shooter, needs to get set up at the ambush point. The other hunter, the caller. Will set up 20 or 30 yards behind the shooter, who needs to be well hidden. The idea is  for the caller to lure the big tom into range of the shooter. Since the gobbler is focused on the callers  location, he will try to cruise past the shooter , and hopefuly end up in the oven. I tend not to use decoys when ambushing. Some times the tom will get a fix on your decoys,  and flank the shooter. Leaving the tom between the caller and the  shooter

Got Fish??

Stopped in too Shooters Service today and  picked up a base licence,  turkey pemit and an all species fishing licence.  For $52 and got too hang out with a couple of  guys who live out near Brighton..They told me stories about the dozens of turkeys that have been coming into the feeder . The birds are so hungry, that  he can walk right up to the flock and mingle with  the turkeys

Got Fish??

Tungston shot kills turkeys at a distance, and gives old shot guns new life. During the prosperous 90's, the excellent long-range killing power of tungston pellets won over many hunters, and not just those who had to use nontoxic shot. Back then, shells cost $2 to $3 a crack. Seemed like a good bargain in return for more one-shot  kills, and a few more yards of  added range. Hard times and the rising price of tungston. Due in part to demand for tungston tuoch-screen parts, mean few hunters- even turkey hunters who only fire one or rwo shots a  year. Will pay for the shells at the current cost of as much as $5 to $6 apiece.