Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:01:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Orchard Lk. 11/16

Started by detroit1, November 19, 2013, 04:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

detroit1

Worked until 11 am, and decided to go out one last time for the year. Fished for 3 hours without a bite, and did not see fish nor minnow.  2 little guys on my graph about 25' down in 50' of water, that's it.  At least I had the lake all to myself...
WAVE THERAPY

gmetime24

At least you gave it one last shot! I bet it was nice and relaxing out there

t-bone

Orchard Lake is hard enough in the summer - has to be really a challenge now!
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Waterfoul

What presentations did you try?  This time of year on inland lakes I like blade baits and maybe an Erie Darter on a 1/4 jighead fished nice and slow.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

detroit1

I've read for years about bass going on a feeding frenzy in late fall to fatten up for the winter. I fish thru October and try to get out at least once in November. I'm starting to think it might be an old - wives tale, as i have not experienced such a feeding frenzy in over 40 yrs. of fishing. Maybe it starts later in Nov./Dec., or I just don't know what I'm doing. (probabally the latter)  I spent most of my time throwing susp. jerks and jigs but also tried spinbaits, flatsided cranks,3 and 5 wire a-rigs, and a dropshot with various smallish baits. I guess I wasn't fishing the right areas. Most of my time was spent around steep drop-offs and any remaining weeds...maybe next year!   later....
WAVE THERAPY

fiker

I think fall bass fishing is in the same league with cow tipping and snipe hunting.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

32eml24

I think the fall feed is much more pronounced in bodies of water where the bass feed heavily on shad in the fall.  A lot of the stuff we read is in reference to reservoirs down south etc. They feed late into winter in some places close to where I live wherever the shad group up and they get so fat their eyes are about bulging out. These are places connected to lake michigan where we do experience a major fall shad movement and also a major shad kill when the water temp drops.  The fish still need to eat and basically relate to bait through the fall season.  Its one of the best times of year for this type of body of water.  Drive a half hour to an inland lake and the bass wont bite anything and are basically hibernating once the water reaches fifty degrees or so... just my two cents.

detroit1

Cow tripping is real, although I've never done it. Snipe hunting also. I remember getting a flour sack FULL of them when I was a teen.....
WAVE THERAPY

capt charlie's charters

that orchard lake for you...was a time the best fishing was suppose to be late Oct thru Nov.....I figure its just taken to much a beating.  then again the hot ponds sucked also, guess we have to head north for some good Fall fishing.

PineLk 49

Quote from: detroit1 on November 25, 2013, 04:31:47 PM
Cow tripping is real, although I've never done it. Snipe hunting also. I remember getting a flour sack FULL of them when I was a teen.....

Well Detroit1....Wish I had gone Snipe hunting with you as a kid.I was 8 or 9 and my cousins took me after dark to the woods with stick and bag in hand. All I got was scared to death and left to fend for myself.Good lesson learned :-\'

Dave

djkimmel

Snipe are hard to shoot! Small. Real fast. Make that weird little noise when they take off... that's the hunter's version. For the 'city folk'... different species of snipe... ;D just wait by the mouth of this hole with that sack. You'll get one this time for sure...!! Make sure the hole goes downhill though!!! If the hole goes uphill... might be a Bigfoot hole!!! ::)

I'm glad snipe were hard to shoot. They didn't really taste very good. (The hunter version. No idea what 'city folk' snipe taste like! No one knows!! :D)

As far as fall fishing, my FAVORITE time of year IN MICHIGAN by far to fish!! Love fall fishing in Michigan!!!! Rivers. Lakes. Little lakes! Big lakes! Shad lakes (actually alewive)! Bluegill lakes!

Some of my best days, biggest bass and favorite memories come from fall fishing trips in Michigan!! I have a few of them recorded in video on GreatLakesBass.TV but I'm kind of (I feel a little guilty) happy that the lakes empty out and I can often enjoy brisk fishing on quiet lakes and rivers. :)

Orchard Lake is not one of my regular lakes but I had an old friend who used to hammer BIG bass every fall late using an old school In-Fisherman / Minnesota bait angler tactic ON Orchard Lake. I don't know if he does it anymore, but the pictures and stories where something else!!

Really, the 'secret' to late fall fishing is stable, proper depth water, preferably with a little cover and BAIT. Find that, and you've usually found the bass (at least nearby). All you need to do after that is figure how and when to catch them. I prefer bass that go on the feed later in the day, which makes sense to me and often works. But on some lakes the best bite still seems to be first thing in the morning, and once in awhile near dark.

I've caught bass on crankbaits a bunch of times from rivers in 37 to 43 degree water. Of course, many anglers know that blade baits will catch bass from mid-fall through winter right into early spring. I've been out on late November to mid-December fishing trips where we caught a pretty large number of bass on blade baits. Sometimes without hardly moving the boat, which is definitely a bonus possible on any real late, or real early season bass fishing trip in the North Country.

On most inland lakes, you just need to find where the bulk of the bluegills are wintering. The bass are somewhere nearby. Smallmouth fishing on lots of waters might actually be easier because of the way smallmouth bass tend to winter. There are anglers out there who actually hope most other anglers don't figure it out because the bass can be so piled up in small areas.

I figure since 90% or more of the anglers who are actually determined enough to be likely to go fishing that late in the year will practice catch-and-release I'm not going to worry too much if more anglers try to figure it out and do it. I might miss some of the solitude, but I also like the part of about fishing where we share common experiences and stories.

Fall fishing can seem frustrating and sometimes real mysterious but figure it out a time or two, you'll want to keep at it. I know I do!! :)

49 degree water Lansing, Michigan Grand River smallmouth bass on blade baits late October:

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.