Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:35:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Drop Shot Rod

Started by 6 lb Smallmouth, June 29, 2013, 09:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6 lb Smallmouth

So I did a search and didn't find anything so I'll just start a thread.

What makes a good dropshot rod?  What would you recommend for less than $200?  Thanks for any advice. 
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

Slipkey

I love my St. Croix Avids.  I've got three of the spinning  7' MH, Fast tip (Model: AVS70MHF)

Got Fish??

Bass Pro makes  a good rod for around $100. Thier extreme rod in a 7ft med/ hvy. Or go one step up for around$39 more, get the Johnny  Morris signature series. Why pay for a name?  Their blanks are good and they use  Fuji guides..

mikesmiph

You can get into an All American Series Grandt rod for a little over $100. Complete lifetime warranty. Completely made in the US, and a GLb sponsor. Very sensitive, very strong. You cant go wrong with a Grandt. I'll even loan you one if you want to try it out.

korean_bassmaster

i just bought a dobyns savvy series 702sf with micro guide and love it. super light and very sensitive. retails for $159.99

6 lb Smallmouth

Quote from: Slipkey on June 29, 2013, 10:28:48 PM
I love my St. Croix Avids.  I've got three of the spinning  7' MH, Fast tip (Model: AVS70MHF)

A MH Croix for drop shotting?  

Turns out that Avid's 69MLXF is called their DS rod.  I have that rod but have always used it for dragging tubes.  Probably look at replacing the tube rod.  My arsenal needs another spinning rig so I can have rigged:

Tube combo
dropshot combo
wacky senko combo
Swimming grub/light jerkbait

Most of these applications can be used on the same combo.  

Thanks for the recommendations. 

TCook

All I find myself using now is my NRX852's for everything a spinning rod is needed for including dropshotting. I purchased a Dobyns Champion Extreme DX 742 SF for dropshotting last year and never use it so if anyone wants one that's basically new for that application its for sale.
FISH HARD!!!

YpsiBass

$70: http://www.powellco.com/powell-spinning-rods/Drop-Shot-Split-Shot-Shaky-Heads-Wacky-Rigs/Spinning-Diesel-6103-MEF
$170: http://www.powellco.com/powell-spinning-rods/Drop-Shot-Split-Shot-Shaky-Heads-Wacky-Rigs/Spinning-Endurance-714-MHEF

At some point in the near future I'll be picking up that Diesel rod.  Wish I could afford the Endurance this year, but it's looking like a 2014 purchase.  I already have one endurance casting rod and I LOVE it.

Manxfishing

Well
You'll need more then one
I Like the Kitsler Mag and Hel med 7' rods
And I have 2 of the MH 7'

The med is the way to go, you get a better feel and there's plenty of backbone for any bass in Michigan

Right now the Helium rod is 199 and the Magnesium is 149
They fish about the same, the Helium is a better blank and does
have a better grip. can't go wrong with either one

fiker

I have used the St. Croix Avid ($190) for about 4 years now.  It is extremely sensitive.   I have the medium light extra fast tip.  It also comes with a lifetime warranty and is made in the US.  They are however not a Great Lakes Bass Sponsor. 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

BIGSHOW

Seems weird that so many people replied MH for drop shot. I always thought you would want something a little smaller and sensitive to feel the bite. I've been using a St. Croix premier MLF. Everyone has their preferance. I don't drop shot alot. But I asked around and checked the different manufactures and most of their "drop shot" rods are Medium Light Fast or Extra Fast.

i

Manxfishing

Quote from: BIGSHOW on July 02, 2013, 01:46:27 AM
Seems weird that so many people replied MH for drop shot. I always thought you would want something a little smaller and sensitive to feel the bite. I've been using a St. Croix premier MLF. Everyone has their preferance. I don't drop shot alot. But I asked around and checked the different manufactures and most of their "drop shot" rods are Medium Light Fast or Extra Fast.

Yea it seems weird to me as well
Your fishing 10# or less. But we all fish and spend our money different

i

6 lb Smallmouth

Quote from: fiker on July 01, 2013, 11:52:29 PM
I have used the St. Croix Avid ($190) for about 4 years now.  It is extremely sensitive.   I have the medium light extra fast tip.  It also comes with a lifetime warranty and is made in the US.  They are however not a Great Lakes Bass Sponsor. 

I've been using Avid spinning rods for close to 10 years now.  Great rods.  The 6'9"MLXF and the 7' MLF are two rods I use with tubes, DS, and wacky.  The 5'9" MXF is great for skipping boat docks. 

djkimmel

I have a Grandt Rods All American Pro Series 076M spinning rod (7 ft 6 in - I like longer rods most of the time) that might be a little heavier action that some people would want for drop shotting. I can and do use it for that but I use it more for tubes, grubs, darters and such. I like a little heavier action at times for some fishing people tend to use lighter action rods for.

I have an Grandt XLH70 Series XS176ML that Dave Wagensomer gave me years ago. It is in the higher price range but is comparable to the All American Pro Series 076ML so I think the ML versions of the 7 ft 6 in Grandt Rods would be the action more anglers would like for drop shotting overall. Dave gave it to me as a gift for Great Lakes drop shotting and I use it for that a lot. Also use it for my Neko rigging.

Grandt Rods has 6' 6" and 7' versions of these spinning rods in M and ML too.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

I am probably the most prolific drop shotter on this site... just ask anyone who fishes with or against me.  I have been using the Shimano Cumara 7'2" Medium dropshot rod for several years now.  Very light, VERY sensitive rod that has won me more money than any other set up in my boat.  Fork up the extra dough and get one, you will NOT be disspointed.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

motocross269

I use 7 foot MH crucials....I switched last year to MH and that has helped with my catch rate...alot less fish come unbuttoned. ......
When I am dsing during the spawn in shallow water I still use medium.

I am with Dan on using longer rods....especially in open water.

Skulley

I don't drop shot much but when I do I use the same rods I use for fishing tube baits. Right now that would be the Quantum KVD Signature Series in a 7 foot length.

BD.                  ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

raisinrat

13 Fishing OMEN $100 but fishes like a rod worth $250
Justin Clark

Mojo

Quote from: Waterfoul on July 04, 2013, 11:34:58 AM
I am probably the most prolific drop shotter on this site... just ask anyone who fishes with or against me.  I have been using the Shimano Cumara 7'2" Medium dropshot rod for several years now.  Very light, VERY sensitive rod that has won me more money than any other set up in my boat.  Fork up the extra dough and get one, you will NOT be disspointed.

Oh thems figh'in words. I am the DS bro.  The 6'10 Loomis G2 med. ($189) Is simply the best DS rod I've used so far. I have a shimano Stradic  fh 2500 with 8 lb and owner #2 hooks. Have not lost a fish yet. .......

Now - here's where I've been. Started with Crucials. And they are dynamite. I lived off the 6'8" med . Also had a 7'2" med  but sometimes, when I hook a 4-6 lbr in 7-15 fow, my other crucial, the 7'2" med would sometimes bow sideways after I set the hook, ( which is straight up ) so the 6'8" was perfect. That crucial was great. But the rod was too brittle - snapped like a twig. So went to the cumara.  The blank is different, but still great in Med 6'8".

The avid is my tube rod for reasons exact reasons you stated.-  6'9" Med, and so far this
one and the G2 with 8# and the shimano stradics have been the ticket to a couple a checks.  G2 transfers and the hook set is automatic. And that's a problem cause when I switch to tubes, I'm not setting it as hard as I need to because the DS is so automatic.

I never once thought to go to a MedHeavy so I thought those were interesting comments. Would like to hear more.
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Big dreams

Quote from: Waterfoul on July 04, 2013, 11:34:58 AM
I am probably the most prolific drop shotter on this site... just ask anyone who fishes with or against me.  I have been using the Shimano Cumara 7'2" Medium dropshot rod for several years now.  Very light, VERY sensitive rod that has won me more money than any other set up in my boat.  Fork up the extra dough and get one, you will NOT be disspointed.

Is that the rig you used for the win on Table Rock this past Spring?