Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:45:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Vacation for a week on Pinckney Chain of Lakes

Started by huston, February 07, 2007, 06:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huston

I plan on renting a nice place on Big Portage for a week this year. Navionics finally put the maps of those lakes on the E-3, (2007) card andI need a nice vacation where I can fish for bass and panfish. I'll be staying at a place called lakefrontlife. I can launch at the DNR launch right up the road and park the bat right in front of the property. I'll probably have too have a long extension cord for charging though. Anyway, can anyone give me some advise,(coordinates), of some of the hot spots. It will probably be mid June. I'm gonna try all the lakes.

fishstick

huston,

You'll have a great time out there those lakes are awesome!!! you can pretty much catch fish anywhere out there and pretty much anyway you want. The more wind you have out there the better so wind blown banks are a good place to start. If you wanna catch smallies out there Big Portage, Baseline, Strawberry and Zukey are your best bets but you might run into them anywhere. I fish there a lot so shoot me a PM before you head out there and I'll get you some more info.

McCarter

I fished portage once.  It was a couple years ago.  We launched at the DNR ramp i think.  If thats the one that is kinda in a little river or canal or whatever.  We started fishing right off the bat on a good size rock/sand hump that i think was shaped kinda like a horseshoe.  I was throwing a white excaliber fat free shad and proceeded to load the boat with a mix of large and smallmouth bass.  It was hot for about 25 minutes as we worked our way around the structure.  Once we hit the end, we dicided to let it cool down and headed out to check out the rest of the lake.

We found some good depth and weeds out in the middle of the lake and started fishing tubes.  We got back into some smallies out there that were bigger.  We had some good action out there for about 15 minutes then it slowed down.

Next we moved into a canal loaded with docks and floating weeds.  We whacked em back there on senkos and soft jerkbaits, nothing real big but alot of fish.

I cant remember all the details of where exactly these spots are in relation to the launch other than the first spot, rock/sand hump.  I wish i could be of more help.  At least you have a couple lures and areas to try tho.

I was very impressed by that lake.  I wish i had more time to play around and check out the other lakes.  I cant believe i havent been back since, but i think i will be making some time this coming season to get back out there.

McCarter himself :-\'

Hooksetter

Huston,

The Portage Chain is an awesome place to fish. Smallies, largemouths, crappies and bluegills can be caught throughout the entire chain. There are also some walleyes in Big Portage.

Don't waste your time fishing Little Portage. There absolutely, positively are NO big largemouth [or smallies] in that lake ::). The teeny ones that are there WILL NOT hit topwaters and they HATE jig-n-pigs :o.

Peace.
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

huston

Oh well, i guess I better not take any top water or Jig&pigs. I'll be staying on Big Portage. I've got the Sportman's Michigan fishing guide map and my navionics cards for navigating. I'm booking the place for mid June. It has a lakefront dock and great amenities. I'll launch at the DNR launch and the place is on the west side of Big Portage on Algonquin St. I've been looking at The map of Big Portage. Anyway, this advise I'm getting is getting me geek ed. I believe I'll go to BPS next week.

fiker

I thought Algonquin was on the East side.
Anyway.

The maps of Big Portage will reveal underwater islands, long weeded main lake points and canals off of the main lake.  Be careful your first time or two on Big Portage.  There are sand bars that are shallow enough to ruin your vacation. 
Little Portage under the bridge on the west side can be nice too. 

Bass lake is the next lake up the river from the boat launch.  It too is a nice lake to fish.  You could spend a day on Portage, and another on Bass.  I've always found it easy to find numbers of fish on both lakes.  Finding tournament quality is a little different. 

I don't have power tilt, and to go way up the river to the other lakes with my 25 hp takes more time that I'm usually willing to devote.   It is a great way to spend the day though.  There's just fishable water everywhere. 

Strawberry Lake is reported to be one of the best blue gill lake around.  I've talked to many guys over the years that drive down from Flint to fish it. 

The weekends on this chain can get pretty crazy.  The sand bars become party spots.  Traffic can sometimes be more than I want to deal with.   Because of the sand bars on Big Portage, and Bass, the ski boats will use the same areas that you'll want to fish.  If you're fishing drop offs anyway.

All in all it's a nice place to be in June.  You'll enjoy yourself. 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

huston

You are right, Algonquin is on the East side. What was I looking at My plan is from Sunday to Sunday. Fishing during the week  when everyone is supposed to be at work. To navigate all the way up to Zukey will be a challenge.  I could just haul it there but  I here the launch cost big bucks on Zukey and opens late. I got that info on this forum some time ago. I've been interested in these bodies of water some time know and I'm sure glad there are people like yourselves who don't mind giving advise. I really appreciate it

yukonjack2

I have a friend that lives on algonquin on the lake as well - shoot me a PM, and I'll hook you up with a local to get out during the week.

Jack
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

huston

fiker

Tuesdays.  For some reason, if you go on Tuesdays you have the place to yourself.   

It's been a couple of years since I've done it, but it seems to me it takes about 40 minutes to get from the lauch all the way to Strawberry, which I believe is next to Zukey.

If you're staying there with the family a trip from the cottage to the Zukey Lake Tavern on Zukey Lake would be nice.  Zukey Lake Tavern is know for good food, and large quantities.  You can pull up with the boat. 
Be carefule on Zukey though.  It is fairly shallow. 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390